Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Deb Upstate New York

Yes SueAnn, that would be you ...

Just wanted to let you know I tried the spray gel tip you shared, and I gotta say, I'm amazed.  I've worked so much on a bear that the fur was literally all matted and gross looking.  A tiny bit of spray, some light brush work and presto ... a finished look.  I used the Garnier Fructis stuff instead ... but the ingredients read pretty much the same.  Thank you for sharing.

NOW ... if you could just help me with a tip on attaching a bow to a ted's head, I'll be in great shape.  I've tried a couple different things but haven't been real satisfied with results.

Deb (NY)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I wondered if Ms. Clairol happened to be me!! bear_grin Yep, I'm sure different brands would deliver similar results . . . I'm just partial to the Clairol gel as I also use it on my hair!  Just make sure it is alcohol-free.  You are very welcome for the suggestion, but it didn't originate with me.  Back in 1997, when I was just starting out as a bear maker, I took a design workshop from Ted Menten and he's the one that gave that tip . . . I've been using it ever since although my bears STILL don't look like his!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

About attaching bows to bear heads . . . if you wan't it to be permanent and not come off, tack it on with a needle and matching thread.  I don't like to use glue for that sort of thing . . . just can't get myself to put any glue on mohair!  If you'd like for the bow to be detachable . . . which I like . . . I put a looooong straight pin in the back of the bow knot and pin it as securely as possible.  Now, if you know you're going to use a bow on the bear before you stuff the head, you can attach it from the inside of the head with a safety pin or sew it on.  That's the way I put on buttons down the front of a bear, before I stuff the body.  Hope this helps.  Hugs,

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Okay ladies...what in the heck are you doing with hair gel...and bears!!!   I have obviously missed a VERY important discussion somewhere...

Shantell

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Somewhere I had mentioned that I give my bears a finishing touch by lightly spraying them with Clairol hair spray gel.  It helps keep the mohair in place after you've brushed it into its final "do".  I also use it to change the direction of how the fur lies if it's not going the right way.  The fragrance is light and fresh, but doesn't linger too long.

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you SueAnn!  Nope ~ no alcohol in the Garnier ... first thing I looked for.  And isn't that too funny ... I chose the Garnier cuz it's what I use in my hair! :lol:

Shantell ~ I think I found SueAnn's past posts on the gel by searching herbal.

Nighty-night!

Deb (NY)

Board footer