Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

In the last few days, someone posted about the lovely Christmas Cakes they had made including one made almost entirely of glace fruit and nuts with just enough flour to hold it all together. The recipes were also posted.....but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

If you can't find the link I will bring out one I know of with hardly any flour.  It is really yummy.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Hayley I posted that one.
Festive Fruit and Nut Cake.

250g Dates
250g Glace Pinapple
125g Glace Apricots
125g Glace Green Cherries
125g Glace Red Cherries
250g Brazil Nuts
2 Eggs
1/2 cup soft brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tbls Rum or Brandy
90g Butter
1/4 cup Plain Flour
1/4 cup Self Raising Flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbls Rum or Brandy extra

Line and grease a 9" x 5" loaf tin
Stone and halve dates if necessary. Chop pineapple and apricots into large pieces.
Leave cherries and brazil nuts whole.
Beat eggs untill thick and creamy, add sugar, vanilla and rum, and beat until sugar is dissolved. Add softened butter, beat until combined. Stir in sifted flours adn salt. Add fruit and nuts, mix thoroughly.
Spread evenly into prepared tin, bake in a slow oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. When cooked, remove from oven brush evenly with the Rum or Brandy ... cover with foil, leave until cold. Remove from tin and rewrap in foil until required... Enjoy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Thanks Bron! Looks like Patsy has come to the rescue though. bear_thumb
Patsy...I had a rough memory of what it had in it.......but we have a really lame Coles here and no glace pinapple or apricots.
I have everything else...any suggestions where I can get the tricky ones?
Oh...so it's a loaf tin one? I thought it would be one of those flat circle ones. Bron is yours a circle one? Or Patsy could you make yours in a round tin also? It's not that I have 'loaf tin' issues...the round ones are just....prettier. bear_ermm
Thanks!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Mine can be used in what ever tin
It is almost the same as Patsy's BUT instead of all the different fruits it just has mixed fruit in it about a kilo and 1/4
with blanched almonds instead of brazil nuts.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Hayley I am sure you can do it in a round tin... don't you have a health food shop Hayley that is where I get my glace fruit from...in fact they have all the ingredients weighed up ready to go...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Sounds yummy Patsy! bear_tongue

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I was given this very easy recipe and it makes a wonderful moist cake.

1 kg of mixed dried fruit.. 600ml of coffee drink ( I make up the strong coffee , measure about 2/3 then top it up with milk and pour it on the fruit) While I wait for it  to cool I have a cup myself.
Then add 2 cups of S.R. flour.
Thats it...no oil/fat eggs !
I cook it about 1hour in a lined tin.
you can ad nuts and make the mixture of fruit to suit yourself.
Believe me it works and i have made lost of other fruit cakes
I do add some spices.
Susan.
Have a healthy Christmas

Board footer