Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

articicle Posts: 119

I was wondering if anyone can explain the look of the shapes in patterns...

I mean I understand by looking at a baseball or basketball how to make a sphere cut out.

I understand a cyllander is a retangle sewn down the long ends.

how do you pull off a nice round pear shape for a bear with a nice "bear belly"?  is the trick with sort of a body gausett?  should I think of a pyramid with one flat back side and two froont sides?

what about a bear with jowels or cheeks  what shape works for those?  :pray:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, that in itself is a loaded question. So many bear makers so things their own way.

May I suggest you get a few bear making books?? They are wonderful when you 1st start. I think alot of us started that way, and if you're a visual learner, even better.

Maybe even buy a few commercial bear patterns to get a better idea of how they are made. That's what I did to learn.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Also, check out the "Pattern" section of the Library here on TT.  There have been a gazillion threads about pattern design.  You can do a search too.  Like Heather says, books and patterns are excellent resources.  Nancy Tillberg's "101 Bears to Make" and Jennifer Liang's "Teddy Bear Art" have excellent sections on design.

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Some people can just 'see' it while others have to learn it, and then some just can never get it.
I suggest getting lots of patterns with completely different looking parts. Cut them out and play with them. Use cheap felt and just baste them together.
You should get an idea of what happens when you do this here, or that there.
Or you could just take 1 pattern, make several copies of it and play with them. Make this dart bigger on one, the belly rounder on that one, etc. You'll get a good feel for what's going on.
Before you know it you'll be designing your own original bears.
Remember, you are learning a new skill. It takes time and patience. If it were really easy, anyone could just pop out a perfect, beautiful bear!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Totally agree with you there Stephanie. bear_thumb

I looked at the pattern pieces in the 'Rose Hill" book I had and measured. With two bears under my belt at that time I was able to understand proportions. I'm lucky that it comes naturally to me I dont have to work at it. But then other things I do have to work at , like embroidering noses and eye placement. I can never get those sockets deep enough.........sigh......

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello Articicle: I think folks gave good suggestions on the pattern design questions. I want to give some suggestions about jowels.

Some people needle sculpt the face to show fuller cheeks. I only made jowels once (well almost once) in a class and it involved adding an additional piece of fur in the cheek area and stuffing it. I have not a clue what I did and to this day, the bear is still unfinished. Even though that is not much to go by maybe somebody out there can tell me how that is done and maybe I can complete it. And it will help you with your question.

Michelle

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Since you have a background in the arts and are still asking this type of question. I would suggest Art that you pop into the next topic on PATTERN DRAPING. Here in TIPS &......
It looks to me that this is they way to go for you. bear_thumb
I think patterns will make a lot more sense to you when seen in 3D. bear_thumb

articicle Posts: 119

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I am amazed in the felt sculptured faces of some of the bears.  Perhaps some of it is just play and trial an error as people have their own ways about getting point a to b. 

I can clay sculpt a bear, but transfering it to shapes that work in fabic the 2d to 3d... when it goes to making features like rounded puffy cheeks... well.

maybe I need to give the draping thing a go.  This is a new media for me, i'm still wrapping my mind around the little nitch darnings.

thanks again articicle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I still have to go with books and printed patterns idea.

It helps to gain an understanding of the basic pattern pieces used first. Get acquainted with the basic shape of each piece. Then learn by playing how altering a curve here or there affects the end result, etc. This will even help the draping method go faster and be less confussing for you.

The easiest way to gain understanding and see a variety of different styles of patterns is to buy books and printed patterns. Check your local book store, eBay, bear making supplier, etc. The posts above give names of books or links to other discussions where books have been discussed. Check out these books!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you know the elementary of bear parts and design, experiment to your heart's content.

Board footer