Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

This past year my work room went from unmanageable to absolutely downright dangerous.

I was getting tangled up in plastic totes, mini ladders and chair legs....

there was no floor space!!!

How did this happen?

So yesterday I decided that I simply had to get things put away, and start the new year off at least seeing the carpet.

The humongus totes of fabrics not likely to be used until next Christmas went to the garage.

I bought new larger totes...and started consolidating.

Anything smaller than a 3" square got tossed.

Now this was difficult-as i also quilt....you can do a lot with a 3" square.....

I digress.

Then I decided that having the silk threads broken down into Indian silk, Chinese silk, Tyre, better quality Chinese, was silly.  So i dumped the 3 boxes into one larger.

Wait a minute-hold the fort-what is wrong with this picture?

over half the silk threads are missing.

The gollies looked down from their shelves and tittered.

The teddies shook their heads sadly

the dolls thought about demanding clothing but as they have no mouths they were unable to voice any opinions, good or bad.

Then i remembered that I put precut teddy parts in zip lock bags with the appropriate thread for working on in the car.

Since I finished about 20 bears since last April i wondered how many more could possibly be waiting.

34 unfinished bears-and yes each bag with its own silk thread.

This isn't a pretty picture.

[size=24]
I retrieved the thread and put all the silks together.  Then this morning I decided to count the unfinished gollies.

Thirty Seven?!  how is this possible?

Mental note, New Years resolution, finish unfinished gollies.[/size]

[size=26]Hmmmmm[/size]

And of the golllies there were also

in the bag but jointed 5

Jointed and partially stuffed 3

:redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

[size=22]New Years Practical Resolution:[/size]

[size=26]Finish all UFOs[/size]

[size=0]

Hey, I can't be the only one.....some of you must be in this same titanic and feel like you are going down for the count.....[/size]

[size=36]NEW YEARS CHALLENGE[/size]

See who can finish the most UFOs a month and by the end of next year....

Do I think I can do it?

nope

Hey!  If I can't be totaly honest with 830 of my closest friends, who can I be honest with?

so come on you guys- in between projects what say we get all our UFOs done!

Anyone with me?

am I alone in the UFO desert?

Daphne's excused for the first 6 months-not because she doesn't have UFOs we all know she does, but because she has to move....UGH  now there's a job!

But the rest of you....what's your count and are you in?

Prizes?

Oh you are greedy little gusses, aren't you?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OH NO Mr. BOB!!!!!

I just found 7 more bags of bears.

Did I think I had TB anad needed this many projects to amuse me?  it was just knee surgery for heaven's sake..

Good Grief

Now on an interesting note,

I found some beautiful heavy duty black satin, 5 yards.

And black satin backed microsuede  5 yards

and 3 yards of black silk dupioni

I am sure there are wonderful things that can be done with this.......

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, my goodness, Dilu! That's alot of of UFOs! bear_laugh  I've no where near that many. I think maybe 4 or 5, but may I be excused please, because I moved to a new house in May. Yes, I said May! I guess nobody's coming over to unpack these boxes for me! :doh:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Good Golly Dilu that's enough UFOs to last a couple of years !  Just think, you have all the nasty cutting out prep work done and can just enjoy the fun creative parts.   I admit that I hate UFO's and try to complete what I start with my bears .  I think I only have 2 UFOs.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Good Golly Miss Dilu! I started cleaning in my sewing room. Was afraid to count the bears that are cut, but not sewn, or organized...... I need to get busy with these guys because they are my workshop bears and I have a workshop last Sat. in January! Hopefully Andy is helping, not hindering your progress!
pandamac

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awe Dilu! You are one funny lady! I would love to come to your workshop and have a look! I would be in Golly and Bear heaven I am sure. Sounds like you have supplies that any one of us would die to have. Best of luck but you must admit it can be fun to rumage and discover old that is new again!

Hugs Louise

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well, I sure hope I find some treasures when I clean my sewing room.  I have determined that I will get in there right after the new year.  As far as UFO's though, I will admit that I have only one and it was just cut out a very short time ago.  I make myself work on only one bear at a time.  I will not start a new one until the current one is finished.  Now this has nothing to do with my being so organized or anything, it's just that if I do not finish a project in a timely manner, I will forget things.  I will forget where I put it, what point I left off, what in the world this thing even is etc.  You get the picture?  Well anyway, Dilu, I am glad to know that I am not the only one with a work area that closely resembles the Black Hole of Calcutta.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I haven't got any UFO's, sorry yes 1.  It is the one I cut out last night.  I try to finish each bear before I start the next one.  I just remembered another one who needs her eyes attached as I ran out of dental floss and as hubby forgot it was Christmas and booked the car in for servicing which meant no car for 2 days I couldn't go buy any.

I had a clean up in my sewing room too last week, it was good to be reminded of what fur fabrics I had and that I don't need to buy anymore for awhile.  But oh dear there is e-bay...........  fur, eyes and more fur to arrive soon.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I can relate to the workroom situation, I really do try to keep it tidy as I work but alas it seems an impossible job. UFO's I have a few a DB size sample quilt waiting to be quilted for 13yrs .. a piece of canvas work 8yrs wool embroidery wool blanket that I started last year and three unfinished bears and a cloth doll. I really do intend to finish them all one day.. Just don't ask which day..

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dearest Dilu,  bear_flower
You are not alone in this.....you would be shocked at the state of my studio right now.  UFO's??  I have a few of those too!!  This is what happens when the brain goes faster than the fingers can sew!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

sarahjane Brisbane

Well I don't have any Teddy UFO's but don't ask me about all the unfinished quilts, stitcheries, cloth dolls...etc etc that I have hanging around here....I will join you on your quest Dilu and try to finish at least some of my UFO's this coming year!!  bear_shocked  (I'm too scared to count them, if I know how many there are I may never start!!!  bear_grin )

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Gee....All those gollies and bears. I have several started projects but truly not as many as you do Duli. I'd be overwhelmed for sure....I was thinking of reorganizing my sewing/craft/computer room but I don't know where to begin...Is there a book or place one goes (kind of like Designers Challenge on HGTV) to see what a well set up craft/sewing should look like. Is there something out there for reference to get ideas on craft organization? Anybody know?

Michelle

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I have 4 at present. I did have 5 but realised one was not salvageable at all so let it go.  I have been very good with UFOs and generally finish one UFO for one new bear complete.

Dilu how did this happen?  I couldn't imagine starting that many projects.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi DIlu

Can I beg a question do non-bear and golly UFO's count......I keep trying other crafts and then get half way through and get dragged back to bear projects. The only UFO bears I have are ones I've done in workshops that aren't my patterns and I don't "feel" anything for....I did the technique I wanted to learn and left the bear as it was.....do they count?

But I'm willing to join you just to clear out the mess....I think?  I have a half knitted jumper from when I was 25.......I'm now 47.  bear_grin  bear_grin  I don't think it will fit anymore anyway even if I finish it!!  I was a lot thinner in those days!!!

Celena Oxford

Ohhhh.... Dilu....I have UFOs tooo.....6 mini bear UFOs....3 knitting UFOs and 1 crochet bear UFO  bear_sad  Not sure how does this happens?  I told myself a couple of time DO NOT start any new craft project until I finish the previous one...BUT BUT BUT, I still couldn't resist the temptation to start anothter one  bear_shocked

Beary hugs
Celena  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

YES I'M WITH YOU DILU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I HAVENT COUNTED HOW MANY I HAVE . MAYBE ABOUT 10-12 ISH MAYBE?  bear_thumb  bear_grin

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

>>>>>>I found some beautiful heavy duty black satin, 5 yards.

And black satin backed microsuede  5 yards

and 3 yards of black silk dupioni<<<<<<

....and those would be IN YOUR STASHES? Or in the Shops!!??

I have over 10 weeks solid worth of finished, Needle felted, bears - that's 7 complex bears  (polar, grizzly, panda) but they're all waiting for claws. As the 20 for each bear takes about 1 & 1/2 days per  ear, that's my stalled out spot; I start another bear instead of doing that despised task. It used to be ears in fabric bears....

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

:crackup:

My count is down by one!!  I felt inspiread and finished one of the poor ufo's sitting in the drawer for about 12 months.

Now I get to play with a new bear and then finish another UFO.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Dilu ... I have UFO's from 1990 !!!! I hate to admit !!!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Dilu,  oh my gosh,  that's a lot of UFO's  . . . you had better get busy, girl ! ! !   2008 is just around the corner.

Oh, and if you need someone to take that black dupioni off your hands . . . . . .

Board footer