Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC00763-2.JPGDSC00762-2.JPGDSC00759-2.JPGDSC00754-2.JPGDSC00753-2.JPGI know you love sunflowers-  I have some to share....but I can't ship them over....:/

The tallest is about 13 feet!  and one of the pictures is the attack of the killer stringbeans which have a strangle hold on what used to be tall sunflower..

just to amuse

hugs, Dilu

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Dilu....they are wonderful...I love sunflowers...in fact my kitchen has a sunflower motif...sorta.  Mine didn't do well this year...too much rain and then too hot...oh and the birds and raccoons decided to dig up the seeds...the brats!!!

Lovely....

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Glorious!  bear_happy

Wish I could take the credit.....but all I dd was plop the seeds in the dirt and remember to water once in a while.  I had to laugh when I found the string beans climbing and crawling all over them.....remember that campy movie Attack of the Killer Tomatos.... I think the string beans win the award this year- they are all ovwer the fences and sunflowers...

glad they made you all smile- we need more of that.

Just had a thought-  Wont the Australian gals be able to send pictures durring the depths of our winter?  Wow something really nice to look forward to

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh, ooh, Dilu . . . I love sunflowers, too, and yours are just awesome!!  Shantell, my kitchen is made of sunflowers, too . . . wallpaper, rugs, dishes, placemats . . . you name it!  Also, a small bedroom has them all over it!  Sunflowers, chickens, and bears, oh my!!  All over the place.  Thanks much for the photos, Dilu! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Dilu,
                  They are Amazing, How on earth did you grow them that big.  I love Sunflowers too Sue-Anneand Shantell ,well you would know that already by our Dear Dilu's post.   Thank-You for letting me see them ,I am so envious. xxx

Big Hugs from Rita xxxx

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Wow Dilu - they are fantastic and 13' - what is your secret? Do you use any fertilizer.
When I grow them they are never that big and even though I stake them up the wind can still
cause havoc and batter them about.
Hugs
Carolyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Dilu !!!! beautiful sunflowers !!!!
I love sunflowers and I think I want to  be a sunflower if I was in flower land. bear_laugh:):D

Marie

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow Dilu magic sunflower seeds, what have you been feeding them?   They are amazing, I honestly have not seen sunflowers that big since a I was about 5 bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Dilu, your sunflowers are beautiful.  I love sunflowers; they're such happy flowers, like daisies.

Interestingly -- I think I may have mentioned this before -- my husband (an otherwise sane and educated man) thinks sunflowers are one-eyed aliens, sent down to earth to spy on us.

Of course, he doesn't REALLY think that... or so he says... but he tells me this story each time we pass the sunflowers fields on the drive south, which takes place every two weeks or so.  So a person has just gotta wonder about how seriously he takes this alien/sunflower thing, after all... ! :)

I can't grow ANYTHING in this hard-clay, rock-strewn (from an early explosion of volcanic Mt. Lassen), baked-dry (it's regularly 90+ degrees here in summertime) soil, here in Chico.  It's so disappointing, because I planned, planted, and maintained a beautiful garden when I lived closer to the coast, in more temperate climes, with much richer, loamier soil, in the bay area.

Someday... !!!

For now, I'll just admire your pretty, happy sunflowers.  Thanks so much for posting.

Shelli

I understand the soil problem-we had soil trucked in because where we are is all serpentine rock.  We do have pretty wild flowers, very very small wildflowers.  Our trees take 10 times as long to grow as elsewhere and then only certain types of trees will grow-  fortunetly for us the forest kind.

The only reason I have roses is because they are in whiskey barrels and behind an 8 foot fence.  Deer, bless them, love roses as much as I do.  In fact the only thing I have that they don't like seems to be Lavendar and lilacs.  So over the next few years I will be planting a lot of lavendar in the front yard, outside the fence.

The birds love the sundlowers, which is good because I love the birds.  win win.

bear_original Dilu

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

Interestingly -- I think I may have mentioned this before -- my husband (an otherwise sane and educated man) thinks sunflowers are one-eyed aliens, sent down to earth to spy on us.

I'll never look at a sunflower the same way again.....:rolleyes:

bear_laugh

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Hummer-enlarged.jpgI am sharing a flower photo too.   Love flowers but I must plant them in pots on my deck as anything you plant in your yard here will be eaten by the Elk.  That is all right as I love having Elk wander freely in my yard.  In this photo I captured a hummingbird ( one of many ) having a great time in my pot of Nasturtiums ( A flower I have a passion for and grow every year) 
      Janet

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Janet, what a glorious picture.  I don't envision Colorado as a colorful springtime place, although intellectually I know it gets that way in the warm months.  I guess we out west must have Aspen on the brain!

That hummingbird is so sweet; what a great shot, to have captured it midflight.

Aren't nasturtiums edible?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Janet, what a stupendous photo!!  It is the greatest!  We lived in Colo. Springs for three years when my husband was in the Air Force and I know the unique beauty of Colorado!  Both of my girls were born at the Air Force Academy and I had the NICEST view out of my hospital window!  Well at least when my first was born in July . . . but my second was born in December - oh well, snow is nice, too!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Janet,
                       What an awesome picture, Wow, I've never seen a hummingbird, till now that is. In Scotland though we have Osprey and Golden Eagles.
                                                                            Hugs Rita xx

Hey Sue Ann

When where you guys in Colorado Springs?  Mine was stationed at NORAD for awhile....so we lived there to-  hmmmm  probably about 1976+

The commander of the base was Colin Powell-  I can remember that but not the years.  hmmmm

oh well

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

We were in Colo. Spgs. from 1965 - 1968 and my hubby was at NORAD, too . . . under the mountain!!  Wow, Colin Powell??!!!  You guys are much younger than we are!!  bear_ermm

OH well

I picked string beans this am hoping getting some of the weight of the sunflowers.....Every morning I go out there and it is just plain scarry-  the beans are going crazy, the tomatos are so full and heavy that all my attempts to shore themup are not working worth a hill of beans....ah and American idiom from an American idio.....oh well we wont go there....

Everything started so late this year because of the very late spring-I don't think the Jalapenos will get red...I guess I will have to bring them in the house for the winter.

Janet, your picture didn't come up last time but it did this time, wow, girl,
wonderful, absoluterly wonderful.  Thank you for sharing it

hugs

Dilu

Board footer