Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hello Everyone.

I have been very Ill since Christmas evening with a bad case of the Flu. While still feeling rarther sick I had a go at stuffing the limbs of one of my bears. Using Hemostats I did the worst thing I could. I made a whole through the fabric in one of my little bears feet! Repairing seems hard as I would of course have to sew him back up but there will be a big pucker and meterial missing. I can't really do that either as the backing is white and the fur is black! I was thinking possibly a synthetic "patch" A worn patch like you would get on a antique styled bear? Any ideas?

Also, as I was so Ill I drew on the white fur with a black marker and I drew seam allowences on with it also so, It is showing through the seams! Help! I was thinking maybe a little acrylic painting like Shelli does with a very dry brush to try and disgard some of the black coming through... Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help,

Richy~

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

I'd use the bear as a 'tester' now.  A bear you can use to try different techniques on.  I'm not experienced though, there are others here who are better qualitied to give you advice. Hope you're feeling well now.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Richy: I hope you feel better...the flu is really nasty this year....

I think we all have had our moments like yours so join the club....Is the hole in the seam of the bear foot? If so, you can ladder stitch it and it would show. In fact you can ladder stitch any hole and if the bear has any length of fur, it will cover up the mistake. If you don't know how to do a ladder stitch (a lifesaver for us bear makers), It is usually explained in detail in any of the bear making books. If you have some look up the insturctions. Or the internet may have it too. It is a common stitch.

As for tracing and the ink bleeding, I suggest getting a thin prisma marker that won't bleed. When you cut the pieces out, cut inside the line so the mark will not be showing.

I am afraid Sandy may be right, this may be a practice bear for you...I can't tell you how many "practice bears" I have.....

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I did the same thing a long time ago-- I was brilliantly stuffing a foot with my scissors!! Oh well we live and learn, don't we!
I think you could make it a technique pratice bear too (or resew the leg.)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry Richy, Ev eryone has already given the only advice I could think of as well. Looks like ya gotya self a testing bear there. bear_cry

as for the marker showing can you not sew another seam and then very carefully cut the black pen line away.
I have an acrylic paint pen that I usually use to hide little things with on my critters. It works atreat and I picked it up at an art supply store.

Just incase you dont know how to do a ladder stitch. It is the one that you should be using to close your seams.
Practise on this poor wee bear.  I was 12 months into bear making before I realised I wasnt doing a proper ladder stitch. That was embarrassing. It at least explained why I had such trouble closing my seams bear_grin

MMmmmmm..... could you  try needlefelting on paw pads maybe?? worth atry. bear_thumb
All the best. I hope you get better soon bear_flower  bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Richy,
You could make the bear to look old and distressed.  You could sew a patch over the hole as if it had worn through from being loved by a child.  Add some more patches one the tummy, arm and an ear.  Do the nose as if it has lost some threads.  Also rough them up a little so they have some fuzz to them.  If you really want to make it look worn you can take more of the fabric that has the hole in it, poke a hole through it, put some excelcer sticking out the hole the put a piece of muslin behind it to hold the stuffing in place and sew that whole piece to the bear.  Then where you can see where you drew the seam line, dirty it up with some staining.  Really water down some black acrylic paint or tea dye it in blotches.  On the old bears that I do repairs on, I will do tea staining then take them outside and rub them on the sidewalk.
Or for the seams you could just go back and ladder stitch over them and pull the seam in so the black does not show.  If the hole is on the foot pad you can just cut out new foot pads and ladder stitch them on over the first ones.  You will need to do both since you want them to look the same. 
Sorry you have been ill and things did not go well with this bear.
Donna

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

I don't know if you needle felt or not, but you could do that.  Maybe felt on toe shapes to cover the hole or just felt on a cute shape.  I did the same thing a few years ago.  I sewed on a wool felt heart and then put other hearts on the bear to match.  I looked like a planned it all along.  Kim T

Board footer