Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

articicle Posts: 119

ANYONE CARE TO TALK OF THE CAPITAL "A" ART OF TEDDY DESIGN?

As an artist first, coming into bear making as fun, perhaps hobbie, maybe art... I just have to ask what is the full range of styles in teddybears?

*miniature
*classic... mohair, longer arms than legs
*anime (manga)
*anime? (like ty or neopets)
*ATC's

who is pushing the envelope in the "art" of teddies? 

someone had a great style with moon faieres bears...
I've seen some tiny teddys that can sit in a walnut....

articicle

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

artcard3.jpgartcard2.jpgartcard1.jpgBear-Art.jpgOkay.  I'll offer up a little envelope pushing!  How about mixed media?  I created this bear a couple of months ago and have since drawn up six more designs to be made this year.  This design got a lot of interest in the mixed media art community which in turn opened up a whole new community to the art of the bear.

I plan on doing a lot more mixed media art this year.....all related to bears.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  I'm also including a couple of pictures of ACEO's I made this year.....just for fun.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

ooooo.... good Aleta!  I loved that wee one with the caged skirt... I am thrilled that you will be making some other similar mixed media bears along those lines!  I can't wait to see!  bear_wub  bear_smile

You know  Articicle.... I think you could classify the range of what is "teddy" along several different lines... 

size
realistic bear vs. "teddy"
antique
traditional
modern
whismsical
you could look at construction method.... felted, sewn, crocheted, sculpted
there is also a whole sliding scale of "wackiness"   bear_thumb

I think you'd find that if you set out a pile of 50 pictures of teddy bears you'd be able to place them into any number of groups based on whatever classification parameters you decide.  And then someone else could come along and rearrange them entirely... even if they were using the same classification system that the original person had laid down.   bear_wacko

I think that teddies are kind of like dogs, whether you are looking at a tea cup poodle or a great dane... there is just something there that makes you say "dog" even though you are looking at two completely individual and unique creatures.    bear_flower

Kim Basta

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Aleta! I love your mixed media and your ACEO's!  Thanks for the pictures!

Joan

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

There are also the teddies with the beautiful beading..those made and painted with dyes..painted portaits on their tummies.. Aleta i loved your bears and now the atc's also! our own toad briar makes beautiful art in many forms..there are wonderful felted creations,,look at judi's art! amazing! and yet sometimes the really simple point of view is art also dont you think? staight out TEDDY..no bells no whistles is still art to me..someones  personal vision of what comfort and love look like..deb

those art cards rock!!!

coming not from a sewing background but from a  traditional arts background I got to say I'm really impressed with teddybear makers ATC's.  Being the vagabond artist, my friends who draw-paint-sculpt... those beatniks who are  really artsy should be ashamed.  I don't know what it is but the quote unquote traditional artists putting out atc's just don't seem as of general high quality... why?  I dont know if atc's are seen as an afterthought in my circles or people are flooding in just joking around with an index card and a crayon...

excellent points about how just in eyes you have beads, paints, glass eyes... then crochet needlefelt

I think I'd like to go neopet style for a bear, with exagerated simple curves and shapes next.  and tiny...

articicle

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

someone had a great style with moon faieres bears...

Do you mean my Moonlings articicle? Or am i getting confused with someone else? Here's a Moonling....

moony3.JPG

I love making ATC's too but just have'nt had a chance to make any lately.........no time no time! Here's an ATC...

HEDGEROWCLOWN2.JPG

I wish there were 48 hours in a day for doing all the lovely arty stuff - no time no time!  :doh:

Penny  bear_tongue

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i agree penny! bear_original:):) there's not enough hours in the day to do all the crafts id love to get my hands on! and this darn working for a living sure interferes too! bear_original:)  deb

yeah, I love the moonlings.  They have a nice unique style that is their own... you just rock.  I really like them.  I like the doogle bears look too, even when Im not a dog guy.   Oh now I am going to get myself in trouble leaving out someones cool bears.  There is lots of nice styles people have made...

I like the felted one too that someone was imitating.  I dont know how I feel about it.  I dont think its right to just copy, but I guess we all pull inspiration from other creators.  I think they maybe should have tweeked a bit more to make it their own... but thats another thread.

articicle

Board footer