Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

There's something I've been wanting to try for a while now so i thought I'd suggest it as a New Year challenge on here.

Ok, here goes...

A 'floppy' bear!

What I mean by 'floppy' bear is one that is fairly loosely jointed and the body is almost totally filled with pellets so the bear sits there and 'sags'. I think short pile fabric/mohair is best for this as it will show off the wrinkles on the tummy!

Here is an example (from an artist called Jo-Ann)
1381_1.jpg

Other people may have some examples.

Anyone up for the challenge??

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

What fun, Gemma.  I love the bear in the picture.  I'm game.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

MMmmmm......Not a bad challenge Emma. I'm sure it will put peoples skills to the test.  bear_thumb

sarahjane Brisbane

I think I may be up for this one Gemma...I've been wanting to try it for a while!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooooooooooh fun - but please don't have the cut off too late - I need some pellets and the Teddy Bear supply shops close down over summer - won't be open until Mid Jan.  I always go crazy before Christmas, buying up big because i'm worried about running out of supplies. I never come close to what I had before I ordered - but oh well, it doesn't go to waste!

YES! I wanna particpate - what fun!
Danni

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Yes, why not.   Can we do whatever size, mohair etc as long as he/she is floppy...
Count me in....

East Sussex

Glad you're all interested.  :hug:

I'm not sure when to do the deadline by - say end of Feb?

Denise, yes it can be made any size and of any fabric (like I said before, short pile is best), as long as it's floppy!

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

bear_thumb  Cool love the idea.  Count me in.  bear_wub  bear_flower

Kind Regards
Tania

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland
All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Now this would be a real challenge for me because I always make my bears to sit firmly ... no slouching!   bear_tongue

I'm not sure how the time will run for me, but if I can find a few days to think about this and get to work, I'd love to join in.  Fingers crossed!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I like the idea!!  bear_thumb and I will love to participate but, could it be a little bit more time  for it?
Bear hugs and Golly smiles .
Gladys bear_flower

djbbears Queensland

Yep will have a go......just waiting like danni for the supplies to open up.........will be up for a challenge bear_flower

Debbie

klippie Klippie's Creations
Gauteng (Johannesburg)

hi there, Im fairly new here. Haven't been posting, just reading all the posts. I would love to be in on this challenge. Is it open to all?

East Sussex

Hi Klippie, it's Gemma from CC.

Of course you can join in! I thought it would be a fun challenge for everyone!

I've already started mine but I'm not sure how long it will take me to complete as I have about 4 bears on the go at the moment and only get to do a few hours in the evening!

Gladys, take all the time you need!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Klippie WELCOME TO TEDDY TALK! Glad that you did jump in bear_thumb
Gemma this is a good challenge!  I am having a good time  getting the pattern done. I have a few bears to make and I am going at it slow. I am glad that I do not have to hurry. bear_wub
I can't wait to see the bears that everybody comes up with!
Have a great week.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

do you mean kind of like a bean bag bear?

Hmmmmm  Gemma, I don't know, how would i translate that into a language I speak....

a bean bag golly?

Yikes!

hugs and laughter

dilu

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Hello ladies! I would be honored to join in the festivities! You can definately count me in! I love making floppy, saggy 'ol bears! Some of my favs!!!

Im new to TT and the challenges, so tell me how it all works. Is this a personal challenge to push the boundries of our comfort zone?

Bear Hugs,

Kim

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Welcome to TT Kim! Yeap...That is what it is all about  bear_thumb
Dilu .. It does not have to be exactly like a bean bag....just use a lot of pellets..? I think it will be a good idea if it is an "old" Golly...It does makes me laugh at the idea too bear_grin
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Gemma, great idea !! I love floppy bears ! bear_wub
I'm always late for the "challenge" and I may not able to
finish it before the dead line( if it's too early)because
I work so slow...  bear_tongue  but I love to try it and can't wait
to see everyones floppy bear & golly or animal !?

Hello klippie and Kim ! big welcome to TT !!  :hug:

Dilu

, please make a big floppy tummy Golly !!
Big baby golly ?  bear_grin  no ?

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Sounds like fun, I'll see if I can get something done.  :doh:

klippie Klippie's Creations
Gauteng (Johannesburg)

Thanks Gemma and all the rest.

I am so excited now, have had a bear in mind for the last few weks and a floppy body would just suit him perfectly. Gotta go design and work now. Thanks for the inspiration.... bear_laugh

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've just ordered what I hope will be some fabric perfect for this job!  Can't wait to get my hands on it ...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Hmm, This sounds like fun and I'd like to give it a go too... I'm not quite sure how to go about making a bear saggy without it it just being a big shlumpy lump. lol Do you just stuff the tummy with glass or plastic pellets?
I usually stuff my bears pretty firmly so this wll be different for me. It's good to stretch yourself! bear_thumb
I can't wait to see what everyone creates! :dance:

East Sussex

Welcome aboard Bonnie!

I'm personally going to put just plastic pellets in the body of my bear (I'll do the arms, legs and head as normal...probably!). I thought that if the head seems to flop forward too much that I'll put a little bit of polyester fibre fill in the top of the body (not firmly - just so that it supports the neck joint a little).

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

000_1075.jpgOk...Here we go... bear_grin This is my "Floppy" bear. Belive me is floppy and heavy but, because of the fur,  you can not see the folds on his tummy too good. The fur is plush. I have to be honest here...This is a bear I made a "few" years ago and cleaning my cabinet I found him.  I am making one, with Mohair, shorter, for the challenger. Maybe that will show better the floppiness bear_grin
Now I want to see more!! .000_1073.jpg000_1074.jpg

Board footer