Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

articicle Posts: 119

(this is a neopet, their picture... I am not trying to steal or duplicate it exactly)

gnorbu_sheared_baby.gif

can someone show me how these basic shapes would look like in a pattern?  would it need like a orange wedge shaped body gosset running from its neck chest under?  how whould I pull off shapes in its muzzle and eyes?  Id like to make something inspired by it but *NOT* copy it... What I need to understand is how those basic shapes would look like in a pattern...

I'm still so new.  anyone care to try a sketch?  see my bear in my picture?  I wanted an eggplant shape in its body and got more of potato wedge.  what did I do wrong?

thanks

articicle

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Here's an idea you might try ... Sculpt the animal you want to make in modeling clay, then use muslin pieces to drape it to create the pattern shapes. Pattern draping is what it is called.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

well, I know what Neopets are...I have 3.. :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: oops another little known fact ...but all I can come up with is needle felting one...sorry..I am no help...but I love the idea!!
Hugs &

articicle Posts: 119

I think the simple shapes would lend themselves well to needle felting.  maybe sculpting and fabric draping is the way to go here.  I just want that eggplant shape, and if I did do a neck off it like that... if its possible in one piece, its hard to convert to 2d in my mind. I'm downright tempted to disect a few beanie babies at this point to get an understanding of the whole thing.

articicle

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Articicle, One thing you always have to keep in mind when designing is that your flat drawing will shrink considerabley when it is becomes 3 dimensional.  I learned the most by trial and error.  Lots of trial and error. bear_whistle

For an egg plant shape I would try first of all to draw the basic shape, only much larger and thicker in the top , then add darts all around the curves.  You always have to think 3-D while drawing.  Darts are very underused and and I have found that they are superb at creating great curves and shape in any peice on your bear design.  They are time consuming but are very worth the effort. 
Don't forget to consider your seam allowance.

Don't get discouraged.  Think if each "mistake" as a learning tool , or step in the rigth direction to your desired result.  And hey, you just might discover something really wonderful and unique along the way.

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

You could just draw a few shapes on some cheap cottons or other fabrics..... stitch them up; turn them right side out and see what you get..... If they are not quite what you want... draw some more... start to tweak the shapes and go from there.....     when you are happy with them...go to a fabric of choice for the "pet"..       Let nothing but fear and gravity hold you back..... give a piece a try.    And one other suggestion...use fabric with no pattern on it to begin so that you can see clearly just what shape it is.

Board footer