Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kathleen Pa

I'm in need of some new cookware,  (I presently have 13 year old T fal)  I'm thinking of buying the Emerrill stainless set, but I've never used stainless and I worry about the food sticking.  I looked into the anonized aluminum, but it says you can't put it in the dishwasher, the outside can stain etc. so I don't think I want that.  Anyone have some cookware they LOVE and could reccomend?  I'm looking to spend around $ 200 ( definitely not more than $300) Any thoughts? Thanks

Kathleen

beary_clairey Luton

If It can't go in the dishwasher - I don't want it.

I have just bought a dishwasher and now don't know how I ever lived without it !!!

LOL

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Claire

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Kathleen!
I stopped using the nonstick stuff when I heard what happens to it at high temps (the fumes it can release, etc) and it can flake at times.  Years ago my hub got me a very nice set of Calphalon.  It's holding up very very well and I LOVE to cook...everyday pretty much.  But I gotta tell you one of my absolute favorite "pots" is one I found at Marshalls.  It's one of those super expensive LeCreuset Round Ovens.  I got it for a total steal (they go for something like $195 at Williams Sonoma and I found for $80!!)  So, if you have a Marshalls near you take a peak!! I still see them up here. Maybe the gradient color isn't perfect & some might be last seasons colors.....but who the heck cares about that!  I'd give up the whole  set to keep this one pot. QVC has a similar type of pot (enamel cast iron) and it's dishwasher safe. Actually, QVC has some great stuff as far as cookware goes  bear_original

:hug:
~Chrissi

nandesign Posts: 361

Oh yes, I agree...the LeCreuset stuff is on my list! I have some new Al-Clad from Williams Sonoma and it is beautiful to cook with...but very expensive. I am like you though...I am going to replace one at a time. Good cookware is pricey, but priceless in that it will last you forever!

Hugs, Nancy

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Kathleen,
I've had my stainless steel saucepans since 1974, and during the last 20 years of their life they have been in the dishwasher almost everyday...and they're still going strong...only thing they will stick a bit but if you use a little spray olive oil on them when frying etc they're fine...

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Kathleen,

We use the Wolfgang Puck stainless steel cookware. Sometimes things do stick, but you just put it on a burner with some soapy water and in a few minutes whatever was stuck just comes off. I'm not sure if it can go in the dishwasher, but my hubby the chief says cookware should never be placed in the dishwasher. I don't know why and when I asked he just gave me one of those looks  bear_sad

Before this we had Calphalon (sp??) and he like this much better.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Chrissi, Canada is actually the first country to ban the sale of the non-stick pans.   I'm not sure of the exact date, but it will be illegal to sell it in Canada.  Wouldn't you know it but hubby won a set of very expensive pots and pans at a golf tournament last year (can't think of the brand name) but they are the non stick ones!  I've never used them - they are in the basement.

hugs,

Brenda

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I cook just about every day, so my pans get a good workout and they do go in the dishwasher.  I will not have either non stick pans or aluminum.  Both can cause health problems.  I have a set of Revere ware that I have used for about 20 years.  I also use cast iron a lot.  Of course, with cast iron you must season it and the cleaning process is very different (definitely not in the dishwasher).  But it sure will last a lifetime.  I have two skillets that my mother in law gave me when we were married (27 years ago) and they had been used many many years by her.   I think you will find that you love the stainless, and any of the brands mentioned will serve you well.  This is a good time of year to buy, you should be able to find some really good sales.

Kathleen Pa

Thanks for all the info.  You've sold me on the stainless.  I wanted to get away from the nonstick for the health concerns with it, but I wanted something dishwasher durable.  The stainless seems to be what I'm looking for.  I plan to go out later today looking.  Thanks again.  :hug:  Isn't kinda crazy that you can get cookware advice on a teddybear site! lol.  I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have some Paderno stainless steel pots and pans and love them! They always clean up nicely and I cook a lot! Look for pots that have a good heavy base - the heat transfers better. It's worthwhile to get a few expensive pots instead of a cheap set - they'll last for ever. I also like the LeCreuset pots. I got a set 35 years ago and used them a lot. Unfortnately I lost most of them in a housefire  bear_cry

Marion

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I bought a set of stainless steel cookware several years ago and have loved it ever since. bear_thumb   Haven't had many problems with food sticking, and if it does it's easy to get off.  Cleans up like a dream and goes easily through the dishwasher.........most every day here.  Plus, it is oven safe up to 350 degrees (due to the handles or it would be a higher temperature), so I often use the dutch oven pot and lid for roasts and things.  Oh, and these are heavy based and are 18/10 guage.  I do remember reading before buying these that at least 18/10 is best for stainless steel pans or you may have something more flimsy than you would like.

Happy cookware shopping Kathleen!!! :hug:  :hug:

Board footer