Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello All!!

I've had my PC out of action for a few weeks, gosh I've missed you all!!

I've had a hectic summer, what with the kids being off school and working more hours than I usually do (I take the kids with me - I must be mad!!!)

Now I desperately need to make some bears for my first show in October and I can't get going at all - I've done some cutting out, sewn some heads (always do my heads first so they can plead with me to finish them!) but can't seem to get any further!!   I've begged hubby to let me have some bear time out this weekend to get some work done, you know summer, stream of barbeques and gatherings in the nice weather - it's been so hard!!   it's so much easier to work when it's cold and raining!!

How do you all motivate yourselves and bring yourselves out of a slump (if you have any!!)??

HELP!!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It is hard Clare.  I have exactly the same trouble!  My lack of motivation has been bugging me for quite a while  and then this week I grabbed hold of some fabric I really liked and decided I'd play around with it, giving myself  time to do it full justice and really let my inspiration kickstart.  Bingo!  I was so pleased with the result that today, I couldn't wait to get started on something new.

So my advice is, have a think about what you'd like to do that perhaps you don't normally do ... maybe plan to try a new technique/design a brand new shape etc ... then find that 'perfect' piece of fabric and off you go!

Have fun! ;):D:cool::):D

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

Go some place new, have a couple drinks (or more), unload and have fun. Inspiration Follows. bear_original

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hi Clare
I can definitely relate to the need for motivation...especially just before a show. I have been a Teddy Bear Artist for 17 years now and I love it but I have reached "burn out" more than once in all that time. I worked many 16 hours days just before a show just to get enough bears for my table.

Since most Teddy Bears Artists are true artists in other medias also, I think that many of us do the same thing by creating something in a different media. I will draw, paint, or make some jewelry...it all reflects in my bears. The last time I reached burn-out I started making jewelry...now all of my bears are wearing handmade polymer hearts...and those hearts inspired me to turn my little bears into jewelry...my little mink bear necklace! 

I will also go to the book store and browse through art, craft, wearable art, or any magazine that may have ideas that could inspire me. 

So my answer is to distract yourself but stay creative!

Good Luck
Kathy

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aw Clare, 

Even doing something we absolutely love to pieces can get old and we can get stale.  Try something totally differnet.  Make a little mini bear or a needlefelted bear, anything that kind of taxes your brain and makes you use the cells that help us create " NEW   ".  Another thing to do is cruise through all the aritsts web sites-  wow! Do we ever have some really terrific artists!  It's rather inspiring, and you can say to yourself, "golly I know Sue Ann, " or Daphne or anyone. 

Another thing I love is catalogs-so I will go through fabric catalogs and find great material for golly deresses-that also helps-

Then, if all else fails CLEAN OUT YOUR WORK ROOM   YUCK!  Nothing gets me wanting to get back to work than being faced with something as onerous as cleaning out a closet.

My work room is still new, even smells new, love it, so thoday I cleaned out my closet.  UGH!

I am more than ready to complete or start a project-any project!

Don't be hard on yourself, that will just make it harder to get going.  It's ok to give yourself permission to unwind-and enjoy a little life.

PS  we are all very very happy you are back with us....we miss you guys when you're gone :)

Hugs, and it will get better

Dilu

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Clare, if you don't get your act together the big scary monster is gonna come and get yer - suck yer brains out - poke yer eyes out with a stick and make you as fat as a pig with the munchies, and probably give you acne too so GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER !!!

Nice to know you're ok despite the lapse in beary concentration

Pen bear_tongue

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Clare and Penny welcome back !!

if you don't get your act together the big scary monster is gonna come and get yer

Penny, you are so funny:D

I need my motivation back too.:P
I was little burn out after my 1st show but
I never thought quitting making bears!

Clare, good luck to your show in OCT!!!
and please show us your new creation !
(no pressure here !!)
Hugs/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What motivates me is the enormous stack of bills.  It's amazing what the approach of fiscal ruin and near bankrupcy can do for productivity.

bear_noexpression

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL Shelli!!!!!!!!!

Ahh I've been lacking motivation a little bit lately. However, my recent success' on eBay and selling from my webpage has picked me up a bit!

I was wondering what to start on today, when I got an email about a custom order - problem solved.

I don't have any words of wisdom for you Clare, I just hope it gets a bit better for you!!! 

Danni

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What motivates me is the enormous stack of bills.  It's amazing what the approach of fiscal ruin and near bankrupcy can do for productivity.

Never a truer word spoken Shelli! bear_laugh

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Clare, I can relate to exactly the same feeling. Just before my very first show I froze up I couldn't get going at all. I put it down to nerves and not wanting to be judged by others. Stupid really but I gave myself a good dressing down and got to work and had the most amazing time at the show and I haven't stopped since. Tell yourself that everything is great and that your bears are wonderful (which they are) and that you are going to be proud to share them with everyone at the fair. Grab yourself a piece of mohair and start on something new, it doesn't have to be a new pattern and tell yourself this is going to be a special bear made just for the show. Smile and soon you will come out of the non-motivated area and make some more of your sweet bears.

Jane.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

In May my daughter had her first baby....and it is so easy for me to drop everything and go whizzing off to her house to play at being Grannie...and I have had to stop myself so many times.

I found the best way is just to set myself a task for the day..and just start..and once I've started I am fine..I enjoy it..and I actually get productive again. The problem is working at home...the distractions are there all the time....

I totally understand...

Jenny

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I don't usually have slumps, but looking at fur really gets me motivated...or bear magazines and other artisits sites
good luck ;)
hugs sarah

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Clare,

We missed you!

I only skimmed everyone's answers but the one that came to my mind is one that I saw Dilu write in red... CLEAN YOUR WORK ROOM! This always works for me as I organize my mohair and start getting ideas, then I just plain get the craving to make a bear!

DEADLINES: I am the most productive the last 2 days before a show...grace under pressure I guess you could say.

TEDDY BEAR MAGS: Looking at what everyone else has done (while I procrastinate or just can't get motivated) makes me feel guilty but looking through the magazine also gives me ideas. Once the juices are flowing watch out!

Don't be hard on yourself about it though. The more you fret about your lack of motivation the more dreadful the whole situation becomes.

Daphne

Shana Hawaii

Oh wow I am so glad I stumbled across this one!!I made 3 bears for ebay and didn't sell the first...down i went...It was hard to get me to finish what i had started in the first place.  I just sit there and look at them like they are going to jump up and sew themselves.  I feel like Im in a daze sometimes and nothing comes to mind.  Clare some times i get a little spark if i look at magazines and then when i sit to sew...there i go again starying at it again.  I gotta be in the mood.  Cant just sit and start sewing or cutting.  Not very good.  I think I would be more motivative if they would sell right now on ebay. It is so slow looks like ... I was so sad today when i got a big ZERO...waaaaaaaaaaaah.  Oh well keep un trucken i guess.  I dont have a web site.  I need to look into that some time.  Okay well I feel better that I am not the only one.
Shana

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Shana,don't be sad,it's very hard to sell on ebay right now.You have done really well the past ,especially for someone so new to ebay.It takes time,passion and heartache.We are all here for you though so don't feel down and as Shelli's hubby says(and yes I agree and loved that last paragraph of her post) "It will all work out in the end"

Hugs Shana,hang in there!! bear_laugh

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Shana, do you have your About Me page on eBay? It is just like a mini website...and it's free!

Kathy

clare14 Country Bears
England

You guys are so kind, I am feeling much better.........

It's now Friday night, I've got a bit on for the weekend but my main concern is getting some bears done!!!:P

Even if I finish one - actually I WILL and I'll post a photo to prove it to you all!!   (had a few problems with my camera last time I tried to download some pics, oooh I hate technology, so bear with me, it's not a cop out honestly!!)

Dilu and Daphne, I cleaned my workroom, what a difference that makes, recommend that to all, I found stuff I forgot I had!!:D

Penny, I hate scary monsters!!!  Eeek!!   It's lovely to hear from you - I've missed you;)

Thank you so much for your responses EVERYONE!!

BIG HUG to each of you;)

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Clare, thanks for the post. I have being feeling the same after having 6 weeks break. I have read some of the replys and have started a bear today. Should be finished to put on Ebay soon.

Shana, you could be me! Same thing here. In a past post of mine I asked about Ebay. The best advice was that you need to keep putting your bears on. So collectors can get to know you. A lady from the UK only sells on Ebay, has only been going a year but gets at least $200 for her fantastic tiny creations.

So back into it for me and a listing every week to get me in there!

Shana Hawaii

All I can say is Thank you THank you to Shari, Cathy and Amanda.  I guess I am just that type if a person.  I get discouraged so easily and get down on myself.  Shari knows because i cry to her all the time.  Im glad to have feed back from Cathy and Amanda too.  I really have to stop beating myself up and keep moving forward.  I put my bears on the shelf yesterday and kept looking at them ( i listed 3)  and kept finding everything wrong with them.  I've listed about 6 bears in the past and sold them all.  In the beggining for not much but then the last one about 8 months ago i sold it for like $250, now not to shabby.  but as soon as somehting like this happens oops there i go, down.  I am a sufferer of depression for 11 years now so that doesn't help and oh anxieties now too.  Boy am i going to have fun when i go through menopause..yihaw!!
Well i don't want to sound negative but it is the truth.  I really do thank you for the encouragement girls!!  Love ya guys.  Aloha from Hawaii Shana

clare14 Country Bears
England

Shana I also know how depressing it can be - I once made a miniature mohair bear, (he's on my website, called Tims) and he took me over a week to make.  I put him on Ebay and he sold for £10.50 (approx $20)- and I've never even received feedback from the buyer!!:(:(:(  I was very tempted to give it up for good - what's the point - all that work for that huh!??

I was GUTTED!!!!   

I never get very much for my bears, but I am finding that the same people do tend to buy them again and again and that pleases me because they obviously like them!!   I always put 'by Davis-Tedds' in my heading now also, I think that has helped as buyer's know it's you.

Keep your chin up, you're not alone......and we're here for you!!:)

Your avatar bear is an absolute darling!!

Board footer