Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Anyone else want to make a commitment to help bring new collectors to artist teddy bears this year?

There have been a lot of folks here who have been dismayed with sales on eBay, bear shows closing, or just wanting to to know how to find collectors. This is your chance to DO SOMETHING besides simply voicing your concerns.

It's going to take more than:

Karen
Gladys
Lynette
Dilu
Sandi
Tammy
Laura
Sue Ann
Carolyn
Debora
Sonya
Luann
Jodi
Daphne

To REALLY make a difference! Though the commitment and actions from these ladies will certainly be a great help and set a wonderful example! They'll improve their own bear business through their efforts which is indeed what this is all about. It's not just for the industry as a whole, it's for yourself and your business as well! But we can't do it alone... we need your help too!

Please consider just doing one extra thing to help spread the word about artist teddy bears. Help us get our work out there for the public to learn about, see and have an opportunity to buy!

Thank you everyone, for your private and public committments!

Who else wants to join the revolution???

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for your support, Ellen!

No one needs to feel there is a DEADLINE. I set a deadline because some folks need that extra push to be sure they actually do it. If I say "Someday....... whenever you get around to it......" many will never get to it! I'd be one of those! :crackup:

But seriously everyone, do it whenever you can. It doesn't have to be a huge time commitment.... we all go out in public places. Many have boards where business cards and fliers are hung. Leave your cards there or a simple flyer. Only takes a few moments! I have a dear friend/collector who initially found my card on such a board at my Chiropractor's office. We met for coffee when I had her first artist teddy bear done and became fast friends and she's ordered from me numerous times since. All from one little tiny business card.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh yes!  I'm hoping to get my Teddy Bear Collecting brochure done by the end of February.... it will be available for ANYone to download and print out... and then pass out!  (the brochures... not us LOL!)  If we all just started to do that... imagine how many people we could educate about teddy bear collecting and artist bears!

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I 100% agree the market is on the downslope, at least for now. So much so, I sadly think I have to throw in the towel and get a "real job", which will leave little to no time for bears.
Trust me, I have tried to come up with creative ways to market my bears and I tell people about artist bears whenever I can. Most people think when you say "teddy bear", they imagine something similar to a Russ or a Gund or maybe a beanie baby.
Before I started making bears 10 years ago, I had no idea what an artist bear was and I was amazed, and still am, at the work that goes into making them.
I have worked with the Panda Project (pandaproject.org) in promoting awarness to the decline of pandas, I have given bear making demonstrations at my children's school, I have given bears as gifts to teachers and friends, I have advertised in the magazines, I even go so far as to bring my basket of bear stuff with me to work on and pass time when my children have Dentist/Doctor apts. It definately peaks people's interest and they ask questions, but thats about as far as it goes. I have tried to come up with promotions....my latest brain child is a bear raffle, which I will post on a new thread so you can check it out. I honestly dont know how much more I can do! I really want to be in this for the long haul. I thought I had found my nitch and I would be a teddy bear artist forever, but now I am second guessing that. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE what I do, but if you dont have buyers...............
Im open to ANY suggestions to keep me doing what I love!

Kim

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Kim,
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your sales.  I think your work is outstanding and the bear I ordered from you last year - the Captain - remains one of my all-time favorites!  Best wishes to you!!!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Daphne, I'm raising my hand! Me! Me! I want to do it too! In April, I am doing a Teddy Bear Talk for a church group's Mother Daughter Luncheon. I'm the guest speaker. I have shared my work with my sons' classes on career day, and I may be doing a presentation for another school in March.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Daphne... You know I'm in!!!!! 

Add me to the list!   bear_wub  :hug:

You know, one thing that I make a point of doing... which is not necessarily fabulous for my OWN business (from a "businessy" point of view!) is to recommend OTHER artists to people who contact me abouut my bears.  Often they are newer collectors who might not necessarily be in a position to bid on one of my creations, or want to be able to buy direct from a website... and I just say, "Have you seen this artist's work..... I think it's really special?"  ETC.....   Or, if they are looking for something that really isn't a specialty of mine.... real fur or antique-styled, things like that.  I've "hooked up " a few collectors and artists that way!   bear_thumb  It's a small thing, really, but it does help, I think.   bear_smile

Kim Basta

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I have the ideal opportunity to promote the bear making industry.
There is a major craft exhibition coming up that's a three day event.
It has a huge amount of people that go through the doors.
So far there is no other bear makers there.
The bad news is that the cost is huge, and as it's craft based,
unless I make and sell lots of patterns and kits, which I haven't ventured into as of yet,
I will be out of pocket heaps, as I don't think you would get the collectors there.
I would love to attend, and if I could see a way of making part of the expense up I would, just for the promotional aspect.
Any suggestions would be welcome, I would hate to let this opportunity go by.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Christine,   bear_flower
If you are the only bear artist there......you have the market cornered!  However, knowing that "crafters" feel they can make a bear themselves, it's a gamble.  I'm not very helpful am I?  It's okay.  You can beat me with the idiot stick!   bear_happy

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim

(kallie214) Don't give up! It's tough to make a living long term at just about any art these days. But please don't quit making bears altogether. You've got to do what is right for you, we all understand that. I wish I had the magic answer.

Ellen, Lisa, Kim Basta & Tami

..... thanks for your efforts! You've got great intentions, plans and ideas!

Christine

.... one of my best shows ever was a one day outdoor craft fair. I sold more bears in that 6 hours than I've sold at big 2 day bear shows! At craft shows you don't have the competition and you'll have folks looking for something different. The novelty of a handmade bear will be so exciting to some that they'll HAVE to buy one! There are teddy bear collectors out there who don't know about artist bears.... I'm sure some of those folks attend craft shows. You might be surprised at your sales! Just bring a variety of price ranges in bears! You can also talk to the promoter.... tell them what you make, the sizes and the prices. They might be able to put your table amongst 'finer arts and crafts' people rather than next to... well, you know.... the not so fine. It will indeed be a great opportunity to educate the public. Bring some sort of printed flyer for folks to take with them. You may get sales months after the show so don't base the profits on the 3 days alone! I say go for it and let us know how it goes!!! :dance:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Aleta, that was a sweet coment, and no I wont beat you up  bear_flower
Daphne - It's true that you never know untill you try it. 
I sure am giving it alot of thought.
I could give a demonstration and that gets you $50 off the price, it's a small savings in the scheme of things, but every little bit would help.
I would expect with the price of the booths that you would only get serious crafts people setting up and suplyers, so I wouldn't have to worry about having crap next door ( sorry about the wording but I couldn't think of a nice way to say that)  :redface:
It would be heaps cheaper to do a bearshow or three or four, but then that wouldn't bring in new interest to the bearmaking industry, and that's what is needed.
I will let you know if I decide to do it, in the meantime any sugestions would help.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I was doing my bit at the weekend, we were at a family function and I was talking about the art of Teddy Bear Making and Collecting.. I am off to the Dr tomorrow armed with some magazines to see if she would mind if I put a few in the waiting room.

bearlykidzbears Bearly Kidz Bears
Lodi, Ca.

I do craft shows mostly at Christmas time. I always bring lot of bears made out of cheaper faux fur along with my more expencve bears. That way I will at least sell the cheaper ones. You mignt be suprised I have sold bears to a lot of collectores that also like handmade things. I only do juried arts and crafts shows. I'm planning to do teddy shows this year and maybe only one craft show. I will be bringing TT flyers and taking teddy bear mags. at doctors office. Denise

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I don't usually do commissions, but I couldn't resist this one...he's only six years old!

Speaking of 6 year olds;

My nephew would be my best customer. Except he is only 6 and obviously can't buy them.  bear_tongue

At some point I am going to borrow the conference room at work and put them on display. It might work to get some interest. The problem is where I live, people look at the price and say "How much?!". They don't like parting with their money much.  bear_sad

SLauhon Lauhon Originals
Murrieta, Ca

It's so wonderful Daphne that you've gotten everyone talking about ' the slowdown' and what we can all do! I did have to get a 'real' job this Christmas. Luckily it's only part time and they are very flexible so I can not only keep making bears, but continue with coaching youth soccer ( my other love ). I continue to talk about artists bears wherever I can - at work, at my kids schools, soccer games, and wherever I go. I had to give up shows because of soccer, but now I am inspired to try and do some local craft shows again and maybe team up with a friend who does at home shows for clothing and other things. The main thing is we must not give up! Even if you only make a few bears a year, only pick up 1-2 new collectors, we must all survive to pass on this wonderful art and make it better and stronger than before!

hugs,
          Susan

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

150pix.jpg

Funny thing happened to day. I was at work un wrapping some earings that were in the shape of wings and I said , " I could use these to make angel bears, or bugs or butterfly bears" and the one girl who was there working with me said " thats all you think about isn't it "  I did not realize I do that , I am always looking for new ideas and supplies and now I know I always talk BEARS , BEARS , BEARS. I keep  showing pictures to new hires and sending them to my web sight. When they get back with me they can't believe that I made them . It is funny to watch them get excited. Then they ask the dreaded question .............." HOW MUCH ARE THEY "?  And I know they will be in shock because they don't know anything about teddy bear artistry. So then I explain the supplies and every thing and let them know they are art objects, collectables. Its fun to share !!! And now a few more people know. bear_grin  :dance:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Susan

- That's the spirit!

Kat

- I used to think that where I live too but some how bears can touch that soft spot in the heart that makes forking over the money a little easier. I have been very pleasantly surprised. Think positive!

Patsy & Denise

- Wonderful efforts! Thank you!

:dance:  :hug:  :dance:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I took magazines up to the surgery today and left them so lets hope that we can get at least one person intrested and who knows where it will lead.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

At last count there were 24 of us who have publically committed to making an effort.... and at least 5 more who I've received PMs from.

So if each one of us finds one new collector that almost 30 new collectors! And you know what happens.... they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and..... you get the idea! That can be a lot of new collectors this year!

Way to go everyone! The fruits of our efforts will be seen as time goes on... the more we can do in our own little corners of the world, the greater impact it will have on the artist bear industry as a whole!

I'm so excited!!  :dance:   :hug:

articicle Posts: 119

I think I agree with the idea that its just that the market is flooded.  People do and have loved bears, and stuffed animals in general... who doesn't remember the beanie baby craze?  Its like comic books back in the 90's.  They were a big hit, and tehn so many titles flooded in and comic book shops were everywhere...then well it collapsed in on itself.

I think leaving a teddy bear magazine at a doctors office, library, or laundramat is a great thing.  Also offering to teach a class or trying to organize shows in all general locations...

Trying to find your "mark" or style as an artist is key too. what ever you do thats a sucess is going to be copied 100 times over by other folk though who want to be on the moola bandwagon looking for a buck. 

I come at this from a more traditional artist background, doing bears for fun and perhaps to sell a few.  But I see it in all the art world.  Everyone is trying to learn graphic arts right now because thats where the money is as an artist.  I guess... well I hope that the real artists who do art as their lifes work... that quality and effort will show through.

Like I've done a few window murals for local shops... my toons have peoples shop logos incorperated in them, and they theme well or even try to show a story in action with little subtle detials... hopefully they stick out compaired to some of the complete waste of paint I've seen with some other people who do them. 

I guess my point is the flood shows success but it also forces those who are serious to even push harder... starving artists is not a misnomer.  Not only are you trying to refine and perfect your art, but you need to work at marketing, hunting down jobs, networking...  From my own line of work I am constantly trying to find new markets, and push in new areas.  I never thought working under my art master 8 years ago I'd be doing window murals... and I would never have if I didn't network and take the proactive effort to ask store owners and show my portfollio off. 

Its not an easy life, but if its your real passion to be an artist you got to keep fighting.  Those overnight success stories usually take like 15 years of knock down drag out fighting.     Any great artist who has really made a living making art has made their art their life...  It is a great effort.  its not just the act of the creation, but the creation interacting in the world.   Frankly sometimes its a nightmare.  I think my master said that 95% of people who train in art actually give up after 5 years and do something else.

If you want it,  If you really want this... get ready for the fight of your life.  But if its your soul, if its in your being... there is nothing else you can do that will sadisfy you otherwise... I'm an artist- even if that means living in a one room place and eating ramon noodles by the case. 

articicle

Board footer