Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..this came up on the main Tips 'n Techniques section, but I thought perhaps mini makers would have a different take, since upholstery fabric is a tad bit different than mohair.  Although there are some mini mohairs available out there, am thinking mostly of the synthetic upholstery fabrics [which is what the majority of my stash is].

La moi...am assuming that trimming the upholstery fabric would be fine for distressing---and the shading/dying for an aged appearance...but plucking am not certain about! 

So---how WOULD one go about creating an aged distressed miniature bear using synthetic fabrics?  And are there any examples from your own creations or another artist?  Am off to hopefully find some!

Amelia

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

I have distressed some of Sassy's fabrics by plucking but i would say to try a scrap first , here is the bear i distressed.
Carter2.jpg

Hugs
Vicki

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

He is gorgeous.
Lena 01.gif

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Thankyou Lena  :hug:  i really had a lot of fun making this little fella.

Hugs
Vicki

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Old-Rose-200-pix.jpgVicki , that looks great , I will have to try that. But it is funny , throughout the years and through the different sizes I have made it has always been hard for me to get a antique style. And it is one of my favorite styles !!!  HERE IS A PICTURE OF ONE OF MY 17 INCHERS FROM YEARS AGO... BUT AS YOU SEE JUST NOT TATTERED ENOUGH  bear_wub

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_1541.JPGJust popped in to say hiya. I've not made a bear for ages and probably won't for awhile. I'm busy renovating a house and have got to sell this one too. When I finally get my head into gear I want to work on a range of mini distressed bears, its another option.

Looking good, Amelia. I dare'nt even look in the showcase section, I'll get nothing done! Funny I now lurk in building forums and ask things like roof pitch and whats the best boiler. I'll be glad to get back into fluffy construction.

Heres a bear I made ages ago. I used pva glue to distress the ulpholstery fabric.

See you all later, back to house plans and choosing bricks. :hug:

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Wow Amanda
That´s a really wonderfull little one.
Just let that house be, and make some more please   bear_wub

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hey Amelia,

Not sure if this is what you were looking towards, but this mini I made from upholstery fabric (not Sassy's) and I distressed him by trimming, dying splotches with concentrated tea and thinned paints.  Then I did the usual snipping and rubbed him in spots even with sandpaper.

Chester.jpg

Kimberly W.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Oh Kimberly you must have been in a rather wicked mood when you made that one. bear_grin
Amanda... luv your wee one. Come and play with us again !! You know you want tooooooo.................
bear_grin

Board footer