Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Kirby, Riley bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Why is this so darn hard?? Tucker had his name in a matter of hours, not days!
Many of the names you all have suggested are ones we're considering...
Bailey
Cody
Murphy
Riley
Sammy
to name a few. My husband is still set on Timmy.

We've set a deadline of bedtime tonight... so he will have a name in the next 6 hours....

I'll let you know!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Those dogs are so cute!  I only know one Wheaton (sp?) and he is so cute and sweet.  He is Tucker's color.  I didn't know wheatons came in different colors (it sounds like I'm describing a toy bear_original ).  The one I know is a boy and his name is Riley.  That's the only one I can think of.  Keep us posted!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hey Daphne, I vote for Riley.  Seeing as he arrived around the same time you got my bear "Riley".   Coincidence .....I think not  !
n020.gif

clare14 Country Bears
England

My brother (who incidently lives next door!!) just got a Shihtzu (SP?) puppy, oooooh sweet as sugar-candy!!!   She is a rascal!!!   My parents have one too, and when she was a puppy and on it's tummy, looked just like Gizmo from the Gremlins!!   My mum called her dog Sophie, but my brother's is 'Gizmo' - reminds me of yours Daphne - that cheeky face - they get away with ANYTHING!!!!!   If my kids weren't so much trouble I'd HAVE to have one too!!  bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm still voting for "Shantell" bear_happy bear_happy

Actually, I think Riley is a cute name.  I like Murphy but my ol' fat cat was named Murphy and he passed away very suddenly a couple years ago from feline lukemia (so much for vaccinations.)   He was a spoiled fat cat with attitude...not unlike Garfield.   He weighed in at 23 lbs and thought he owned whatever chair I was sitting in.  He'd actually force me out of it my scootching me until I had no room...then look at me like..."what too you so long..."  BRAT

I want a puppy...I want a puppy NOW!!!

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Daphne:
Adorable Puppy.  I like Riley also.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh...and why are you opposed to Timmy?  Just curious...

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

of the names suggested so far i vote for Riley! he's beautiful!! and looks like he'll have th elife of riley as the expression goes! we always take about a week to name our pets until we get to know them..then sometime it just pops out! hence the cat named slippers ( who loved to tuck his fron feet into any shoes i vacated!) the setter named hoover because he sucked up and ate everything in his path!  Heart was the 2nd alaskan malamute..so named because losing the first one broke my heart ( icewinds hearts ease..now my business name) and the first was name Thor..so close to a neighbors dog i adored ( samoyed) when i couldnt have a dog of my own..that when a mal named Thorin came up for adopyion i knw it was meant to be!  Nokia my current cat is named for the snow tires,,she has 4 dbl paws..and Snickers is as his dad says " a little bit nuts and a little bit sweet!" a springer in every aspect!!:):):)  we looked for a wheaten terrier when Heart died but couldnt find one,,my dad had a springer when he was small,, and i did live the setter ( english) too but we wanted a dog with no memories.. for us..and dh said no more malamute fur!! bear_original:):):)  great pet photos!  deb

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Yes, my vote is for Riley also - he looks like a Riley.. it's a cute name for an adorable dog!

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, your dog is darling.  I love most of the names suggested.  I don't know who it was that spoke out against "Timmy" but I can tell you that, all passive-aggressive impulses aside (my husband's name is Tim :P), when I hear not Tim, but "Timmy," I think of some scrawny, dorky kid with bandaids on his knees, who eats paste.  I'm not sure where that association comes from, but I have it.  Just like I have an association between the name Peyton and the psycho nanny from "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle."  I was sharing that as a possible name choice for my first born son, boy OR girl, and some idiot friend of mine so graciously shared, "OH... you mean like the psycho nanny from that movie?''  And *poof*, there went THAT name in a hurry.  Criminies.

Anyway, to second what someone else said, I like Riley a lot for that particular pup as well.  And it goes nicely with Tucker.  Somtimes it's the spelling that's offputting.  What about Reilly?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

CHRISSIE - Wheaten's are very dark in color when they are pups but by the time they are 3 years of age they become a very pale, 'wheaten' color. I wish they kept their puppy colors but the adult coat is thick and wonderful too.

SHANTELL - I'm sorry I'm not naming him after you but I know you don't poop and pee on the floor or chew on socks!

SHELLI - That is the exact reason I can't do Timmy - the vision of a dorky, wimpy kid!! The Timmy I knew had big black horn rimmed glasses that always fell down his nose, crooked teeth and was way too skinny! He was a real geek!

ANYWAY.........

This afternoon we decided on CODY because I wouldn't budge on the Timmy thing and my favorite name, Bailey just didn't fit. After a few hours of being Cody I decided it just didn't fit him. I can't put my finger on why.

I was watching him play tonight, getting all riled up in his pen. Then I came in to catch up on posts and here were all these votes for Riley!

So, RILEY it is!!

We'd talked about this name as we are huge M*A*S*H fans. On the show, Cpl Walter "Radar" O'Reilly is from Iowa. This puppy is from Iowa as well. He's also going to be shorter (than Tucker anyway) when full grown, and Radar was a short guy. Plus, Riley is Irish. We'll stick to the common spelling so I don't have to think about it every time!

You all came up with some great names as I knew you would! Thank you, thank you!

Maybe the next puppy will be...... NO! WAIT! No more puppies!!!! I'm done after this one! They are way too much work!

PupKissinTucksm.jpg

Tucker didn't deal with Riley's existance too well today. His neurosis showed itself with excessive panting, being jumpy at the slightest sounds and humping his bed for an hour (to prove his dominance?) before I finally smartened up and put it in the closet! We've tried so hard to give Tucker the same amount of attention as always and keep the same routine as always and not make a huge fuss over Riley in front of him. None of it is helping but I'm sure they'll work it out over time. I'm just an overprotective mother, want both to be happy, not upset.

I'd be a basket case if I had real live human children!!!!

Thanks for your help, every one!
Daphne, Henry
Tucker & Riley

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL Funny message Daphne!  Good choice on Riley!

Do you know what Tucker means here in Australia - it means FOOD LOL

Poor Tucker LOL

Danni

Willamette Valley Oregon

Great choice...I think they are both absolutely adorable...

I'm glad you didn't burden that poor puppy with my name.  But, you really don't know me that well...I might do all those things you said I didn't...really!!  NOT

Tucker will adjust in his own time.  They'll be best friends and inseperable (did I spell that right) in no time at all.

Funny about name associations...but my ex-husband wanted to name our youngest Stacey...we were having a BOY...I couldn't get him to realize that Stacey was too much of a girls name.  So what did I do...named him Taylor and now every other girl is named Taylor.  I can't win!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

yay bear_laugh glad Riley now has a name!  Well done lol
hugs to your family
sarah

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Great choice!! bear_laugh

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

What a happy ending!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yay, Yippie Doodle...youv'e named your puppy after ME!

No, not really although my maiden name was Riley. We have traced back the name through generations and can't find an Irish connection but with the name Riley I feel there should have been a splattering of the Irish somewhere.
Love the name....I called one of my very early bears Riley.

Jane.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hoy, I'be jast naticed the spoll chick hos disapeered!

elp pleeze!;) bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

sp8a.jpg

shantell wrote:

my ex-husband wanted to name our youngest Stacey...we were having a BOY...I couldn't get him to realize that Stacey was too much of a girls name.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but just sharing here... my youngest son, a skateboard dude in training, is enamored of the early days of Dog Town (near Venice Beach, CA) and we've seen both movies -- the fictionalized and the documentary versions -- about Dog Town's "Z Boys" (Zephyr skate team) that basically created the hip, athletic foundations for today's skateboarding craze.

Anyway, I mention this because I learned, via these films and my son Noah, that one of the earliest, greatest skateboarders was this tres cool long-haired, very masculine, not remotely girly guy named... yes... Stacy.  Stacy Peralta.

Check him out, above.

PS  I love the name Taylor! bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think Cody - that is what my little boy's name is going to be bear_original

piegabaer Speyer/Germany

What a lovely puppy. He is soooooo nice bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I love the name Taylor and think it ought to be a boy's name. :o)

I know a guy named Stacy and have a hard time calling him by name..... BUT I never forget what his name is because it seems 'different' for a male!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Daphne,

Riley!  Great choice!  I think it's a really cute name.  The Riley I know is so sweet and such a good boy.  Should we start thinking of names for your next dog?!  Hmm...  :D

I didn't knew they changed color; I also wish he would keep his puppy colors - they are cute.  But I also like the lighter color too. 

Shelli,

That is really funny about the name Timmy!  I was cracking up when I read that.  I have the same associations. 

Chrissie

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Oh, He is adorable!  The first name that came to mind is Bear.  Jenn:)

Board footer