Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

ttphoe.jpgI have been working on this girl for longer than I want to think about! (But I take
breaks during commission pieces, so I can keep the enthusiasm fresh)

378677165_78976da64b.jpg

378677168_f497bf0002.jpg

378677171_14008bcebe.jpg

Anyhow I did a lot of 'first time' stuff on her; used GOOD felting wool, used really dense
short mohair (that shows every detail, eek), made shoes, made a realistic cat head, did
the double jointed neck style instead of gathered (although it is not a double joint neck -
that disc of fabric in between is kinda tricky. HELLO NECKLACE)

I am pretty pleased with her, though. She is 20" tall. I will get more detail photos when
the light is good.

Her ears & paws & eyebrows are needlefelted. She's based on the client's real kitty, who
had the habit of crossing her toes, hence the pinkie.

I hope she is pleased!

thanks for looking :-)

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Wow Kim.......she is beautiful.      What a lot of work you did on her.   

I must delve deeper into this "double jointed" thingy u speak of..   ....disc of fabric?.. hmmmm something I don't know anything about....

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Kim,

She is absolutely stunning.

Hugs,

K Pawz Guest

WOW!!!! Kim you have captured her elegance and beauty perfectly!!! What an amazing job you have done on her....I am sure her new Mom will be very pleased!!!

Hugs,
Krista

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I remember that cat with the pinky toe.............what a great creation. The face is soo realistic. Well done!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Fantastic ! ! ! !  Unbelievably beautiful feline you've made.

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Wow.... I mean wow! What a wonderful piece! Are you going to keep her? I would!
Aeri

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

This is a beautiful piece of work.  bear_thumb I've been staring at her for some time -  I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

Surely a competition entry????????????? :clap:  :clap:

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Kim, what a fastastic work of art!!! She is for a commission? If so I'm sure your collector will be thrilled. She's just wonderfully detailed and her coloring  is lovely!

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

wow fantastic.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub Oh my........I am soooo much in love here!!!  She is simply gorgeous Kim!  I can't stop looking at her!!! bear_grin   

I know what you mean about the circle of fabric thing being a bit tricky, especially with shorter pile fabrics.  This is the way I do most of my bears anymore......double neck style but without the double neck (that sounds a bit goofy, yes? bear_tongue )

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

BEautiful Siamese  bear_thumb
Not only is she beautiful, you were able to photograph her! I gave up trying to photograph Siamese, but somehow you've figured out a way! Fantastic job  :clap:
Karen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Spectacular!!!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

She's lovely, Kim! Your collector will be thrilled!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

so so beautiful Kim - she looks fantastic. Make more siamese cats please - i love siamese, one day i will have one.

Don't get too good at this or i'll have to throw in the towel  :crackup:  :crackup:

Brilliant work  bear_thumb

Penny  bear_tongue

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Kim, she's GORGEOUS!!  Wow, your collector will be so pleased! 
:hug:
~Chrissi

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW! bear_wub  bear_wub She is beautiful and you are so very very talented!!!    :clap:  :clap:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Wowie zowie!!  She's stunning!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Your pictures of her are beautiful too!!  Stunning, stunning, stunning, stunning......gorgeous!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I am speechless!!! What an amazing work of art
Hugs
Gail

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

She is amazing!!! Beautiful stunning detailing. A true work of art!! I applaud you. :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Well done :clap:  :clap:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

She is amazing!!! I absolutely LOVE her!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Wow - thank you all!
I was daunted by the challenge of such a subject - replicating departed pets is
a bit stressful even in paint, for me - but this client has been such a love & I have
known her for a few years now. She bought some of my very first art from Ebay,
& has been a good friend since! Also, as a commission client, every artist's dream.
I do honestly think that I could not have done this piece for someone I didn't click
with. She's been enthusiastic about my suggestions for stuff, & I get excited by her
ideas, & our instincts seem to point us in the same direction. It gives me the confidence
to chase down a new idea without worrying that she'll hate it - & it's that freedom
that makes for the best art, IMO.

I wish I could clone her!  bear_grin

I am going to send the photos to Art Doll Quarterly & see if they fancy her.
I'd submit her to bear contests but I don't want to hold her hostage forever.
I know some are for photos & some want the actual bears/animals - I gotta look
up which is which. Once she's mailed to England I won't ask for her to come back -
it's a perilous journey!

I am humbled by the kind words of you scary-talented folks! It really means a lot - thank you!

Karen were you shooting seal point 'meezers? they have such a lot more contrast - the trouble
with the lynx point is to not go too heavy. Thank goodness for colorless blenders  bear_grin

Also I found that the eyes gave me a surprise - of course the slit pupils are perfectly centered - but
most kitties don't have the whole pupil showing, top to bottom - it looks pretty much like a crazy
intense glare if they do! So I had to do her some eyelid coverage with the needle felting, or maybe
use a round pupil like Penny & Karen's avatar kitties seem to (sensibly) have.  bear_tongue

I am looking forward to working on whatever the heck I want to for a while now!  bear_grin

Jennie Teddybears Sweden
Gavle, Sweden

Seriously, she's amazing!!! I wish I could be just HALF as talented as you! :clap:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I used to raise Siamese and you've certainly captured their elegance. Outstanding work.

Marion

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Wow!!!!  How could your customer NOT be pleased????  She is fabulous!!
I have a siamese girl and you have captured that haughty and mischievous look they have to perfection bear_thumb

Hugs,
Christine

As a matter of interest... how long did it take you to make her??

Board footer