Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Deb Upstate New York

So ... I saw that Gina had requested Quy change her Username, and so I emailed Quy and asked for a name change from JJ48 to Deb.

I was mortified when I initially registered and ended up with a password to an application (at work) for my Teddy Talk username.  Ugh.  I tried to change it, but couldn't associate more than one username with my email address (duh).

THANK YOU QUY!

P.S.  JJ (Jimmie Johnson), 48 (his number silly girls).  Go Jimmie!  (Any other Nascar fans?)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yayyyy Deb's dropped her alias-she's outed herself hurrayyyyy-

Aww we loved you either way

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Okay, Deb!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh..... you mean "Deb NY" or "Debny".... :lol:
I never could associate JJ48 with your name... so glad you changed it! bear_original

I'm so glad it wasn't JG24  bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York

Oh Dapne ~

Deb NY or Debny ... that's me!  But would you still love me if I tell you I truly DO like JG24 also!

Debny-yep gotta love it....it rolls off the bear_tongue, it's easy to remember, it's cute and just a wittle bit wonky!

bear_tongue dippylu bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Deb.........

:|:(:o:mad: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not JG!!! I'm an "Anybody BUT JG" fan myself.... for no good reason other than that he won waaaay too many races there for a couple of seasons... seemed a bit fishy and it went to his head.

But, now that I've offended you and all the other JG fans out here let me just say..."May the best man always win!" bear_laugh

My hubby races, for fun, and we have a "Have fun doing it" attitude, not a "Gotta win or else" approach. It makes all the difference. But NASCAR is so different.... big $$$ at stake as well as an image/reputation. Way too much pressure in my book! :/

I still love you, Deb! bear_laugh   Muwah!

Daphne

Deb Upstate New York

BUT DAPHNE ~ He's soooo good looking ... and he can enunciate!  He's a wonderful (professional) spokesperson for the sport, and is (I think) quite humble for all his success (i.e., admits they're not in it this year because they simply don't deserve to be).
a065.gif

I've had a lot of disappointing moments - that's what makes you a stronger and better team and driver, Gordon said. People only look at me as racing in the NASCAR series.  I've had some far more disappointing seasons than this one. Life is still pretty darn good for me right now. Racing is not everything. I've put my heart and soul into it like this team does and we want to win.  But we also know at the end of the day, that it's not the number one thing in our lives and you got to take the good seasons with the bad seasons, and we've had a lot of good ones.

Actually ... I like several drivers, and don't really have one standout favorite.  I'm neutral about several and only have one that really grates on my nerves (KH29).

You're right though, Nascar is big business though, and I imagine the pressure from sponsors alone is enough to make them all nuts.

Where do you race?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Deb wrote:

BUT DAPHNE ~ He's soooo good looking ... and he can enunciate!

Hey Deb!!! Yep, you got that right!!!  I'll have to scan in the new cologne sample they pass out at the track wtih his picture on it.  You thought he was good looking before... WAIT till you see this picture bear_tongue  - BIG Jeff Gordon Fan and Jimmy Johnson fan too bear_laugh  (sorry Daph LOL!)

Hubby's #1 is JJ48 and my #1 is JG24.  We both have NASCAR jackets of our favs too - can't wait for fall!

We live in the Chicago suburbs... so we get season's tickets to Chicagoland Speedway.  Boy it's hot here in July... but the track is AWESOME!  And we finally found "our perfect seats" so we'll pre-register for them this winter to be sure we get the same seats next year.

Hubby and I also like to go to one out of state race a year too.  Last year we went to PIR (Phoenix) which was fun... but it IS an older track... so you can't see the whole track from your seat.

This year we went to the night races in Bristol just this August.  WOW what a track!!  They put on a great ceremony for Rusty Wallace too (for his last race there).

Yep, it's been a disappointing year for Jeff.  I'm sure it was hard what with loosing a good part of the crew last year in the plane crash :(.  Glad Jimmy was able to do well this year though.  Don't forget... Jeff has been racing since he was around 5 years old.  His father got him into racing like some dads get their sons into baseball. 

Boy... here I am trying 2 stay off the computer much.  I was just taking a peek this AM b4 breakfast... but I just couldn't help myself and jumped in here bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't "get" the NASCAR thing.  We have pre-movie commercials at our local theater here, and COKE has been featuring the NASCAR guys in them for some time.  I figure they expect us to all know who those guys are, and I'm like, "Huh?"

What's the appeal?  Obviously, I've never been.  But I don't get it.  Does that mean I blaspheme? bear_happy

Shelli-if you're blasphmous then I must be a heretic.

Who's cute?  Who's JG? Nascar I recognized, but golly all they do is drive around really fast- and then sometimes crash....ugh scary-is it my age, it seems like a very dangerous and demanding sport. 

dopylu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I always wondered what JJ48 stood for!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

JG = Jeff Gordon, I think.
JJ = Jimmy Johnson, I think.
The Texas Motor Speedway is way close to where I live, but a NASCAR fan I am not.  Just am familiar with some names because they get a lot of press when NASCAR comes to Texas.  Yeah, I'm not wild about seeing crashes . . . it just makes me sink waaaay low.

Deb Upstate New York

Sherri ~ Blaspheme?   Nooooo! 

NASCAR = National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.  There are three series.  The Craftsman Truck Series is truck racing (smaller size like S-10 I think.  I'm not 100% sure cuz I don't follow that series.  The Busch Series is stock car racing for newer, less experienced drivers.  The Nextel Cup Series is stock car racing for the "big boys".  Sometimes Cup drivers participate in Busch races for experience and I presume $$$.  There's a Nascar 101 section on the www.nascar.com site.

I've only been to a few races, but I watch nearly every one.  I started watching in 2001 and just got "hooked".  It's one of the fastest growing sports (fan base), if not the fastest growing.  For me its appeal is the variety of possible outcomes (compared to football, basketball, etc.) and the vast number of factors that can impact the outcomes ~ the track, the weather, how the weather affects the track, the tires, the engines, the car setup, the wrecks, decisions about coming in for gas, etc.  But most of all, the dynamics of the drivers on (and off) the track.  Look out!  I also love that the age of drivers ranges from 20 to mid 50's.  Most fans end up with a favorite driver or two, a055.gif and of course, you need a couple to cheer against!
  u020.gif

Coke sponsors several drivers.  First thing after the race (if their in an interview), you can bet they'll have a Coke in hand! 

The best thing about NASCAR ~ the commercials! bear_grin

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Deb wrote:

The best thing about NASCAR ~ the commercials! bear_grin

Oh yeah!  NASCAR commercials are better than Superbowl commercials!!  I"m still waiting for Dale Jarrett to race the UPS truck!!  bear_grin   At the Bristol race they parked a UPS truck with racing flames painted on it in the infield!!

And nope, not everyone likes NASCAR.  All to often I hear " so they just turn left, so what?"  Well oh my gosh... to see those guys race at over 190 miles per hour and be just INCHES or LESS away from eachother and make it... oh wow what an adreniline rush!!

I used to be a car show photographer... later got my own Trans Am to drag race (too chicken to oval race!) and I kinda fell into NASCAR naturally (for which my hubby is VERY grateful! bear_grin )

Oh yeah... YES, JJ is Jimmie Johnson ~ JG is Jeff Gordon.  Both from California... (I know another teddy bear artist - Linda Nelson of Half Nelson Bears who is another big Jeff Gordon fan... she's also from CA bear_original )

It really helps if you have a favorite driver... or as Deb said... a NOT so favorite driver... so you can root for them (or against LOL!  I love Jeff Gordon and whoever is putting XXX into the wall LOL!!  Very popular saying... just switch around names ) 

I love going TO the races because then you can follow the part of the race YOU want to follow... not what the cameramen think is important.   We've seen Jimmy Johnson come back from being "down a lap" only to make in incredible comeback and come in 5th place at the finish line!  That part was more exciting for us than who won (umm... unless it would have been Jeff bear_grin )

And I guess one of the BIG things I like about these guys is that they seem a lot more like "regular people" than football, baseball or basketball players... they APPRECIATE their fans and know that without us... there would be no NASCAR.  Unlike other pro sports who occassionally decide to strike because they are not making enough money???  (sorry, off my soapbox now...) bear_tongue

Board footer