Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

This bear is excellent Natty!!! If you dont like wrinkled when going for floppy then undo the back and put in more stuffing.  Have alook at the tips for eye placement scultping. I believe you are ready for this now. You have a great eye for detail. Your eyes and ears a placed perfectly. Most people have problems getting them even.
Give his ribbon an iron and pop into Daphnes Bow tying tutorial.
I reckon you are on your way NOW possum. GO FOR IT!!! bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:redface:  . . . just got here, Natty (puff puff) but it's been a thrill to see you come so far so fast.

I'm just finishing a rabbit in a lovely black/grey synthetic, but its backing was knitted, which meant too much stretch. I just lined the synthetic with muslin, which solved the problem. I'll post a pic when I get his dratted whiskers finished.

I do love mohair, but some synthetics are just as awesome!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Wow......awesome!! :dance:  :dance:   I mean that on two counts: 

First, Natasha I can see you are well on your way!!  Bravo!! :clap: I do think your earlier bears are cute too, but the last two you posted are marvelous!!!  Well done you! :hug:  :hug: I simply cannot wait to see more bears from you! bear_thumb

Second, it is so wonderful to see the spirit of giving in action!  This is what TT is all about in my book, and it is one of the main reasons I love it here! bear_wub You girls rock!!  I wish I had seen this thread sooner so I could pitch in too..........but I'm so happy to see the support you've all given to Natasha.  Bravo again!! :clap:

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I really LIKE the rectangular ears guy. He is his own self! I think he's great. Quirky & great.
Makes me happy  bear_wub

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I'm with those liking those ears...that could wind up being your stylistic "thing" at some point!  Really really wonderful work..you're making very very NICE bears Natasha, just like you wanted when you wrote the thread!!  Can't wait to see the next one bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

thank you all so very much bear_wub  :hug:
its always nice to hear nice things bear_grin
now i just need to figure out a way to attatch those rectangle ears to the head without them sticking out like a sore thumb(looks really messy from the back)
wendy - yep eye sculpting and eyelids and whites of eyes etc.are next on my list,if only i could figure out exactly what leather cording is(ive read the library but it didnt say - im guessing its another one of those things that people just know(everyone exept  me :crackup: ))i dont think i can iron the ribbon for two reasons 1..its an interesting bit of ribbon made of fuzzy stuff sorta criss crossed between two thin bits of ribbon(yes i know that makes no sense bear_grin )i know what i mean!! and 2....i dont have an iron(sad  but true)i dont like ironing so ive never needed one bear_whistle 
but i peeked at the tutorial anyways and that ribbon is sooo nice and neat bear_wub

thanks again for the lovely replys and the next one should be done soon(at the moment hes a bit amputated)
Natasha

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

i was reading back through the post(rather vain of me huh?? bear_grin )but i noticed a post that i didnt see the first time round

Hello Natasha,
your angel bear is so cute !!
I like his foot ! what fabric is that ??
it look so flat & very nice !! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kiprie Bears by Marie Okamura

very sorry for not replying to your question  :hug:  i wasnt snobbing you

his foot pad is made from suede..wendy sent it along with the mohair so she may be able to tell you where its from or what type etc.
im off to keep re reading the post to make sure i havnt missed anyone else  bear_original

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

yippee, i did it .I finally made a girl bear bear_laugh sorry about that but all my others have been boys (even pink and purple ones)so im rather exited!!

Well here she is,................Girlbear

Girl2.jpg
GirlHead.jpg

Girlbear is approx. 5 inches and made from a pinkish mohair sent to me by aleta - the silly bear(hope you dont mind the credit)
Her head is cotter pin jointed, limbs are string jointed.

let me know what you think,
natasha

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

That is a little sweetie Natasha!  Yep... I think it is the dainty little nose that makes her a "she"

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

aww..thank you so much :hug: i had a panic attack thinking that everyone might disagree and my little girl would turn out to be another wee lad bear_laugh  glad she's still a she!!

K Pawz Guest

She is awesome Natasha!!! You really did an outstanding job on her!!! Hopefully the package I sent you gets there soon!!

Hugs,
Krista

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

well girlbear has been given to my little sister for her birthday....boy was that hard ..i feel like crying at the moment bear_cry
i just love all my bears and sort of think of them like their alive and have feelings...im going to miss her
silly i know bear_tongue i made up a certificate and gift box and she seemed to like her(probably not as much as i do..lol)but hopefully she'll keep and cherish her forever.
you guys are great listeners bear_thumb ...i feel better allready bear_grin
Thanks for listening,
Natasha

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_cry I know what you mean!!!   bear_cry All of my bears 'come to life' and some are much, much harder to part with than others. 

Girlbear is wonderful!!!!  See, I told you! You've all ready got a signature look, and very well on your way  bear_happy  I can't pinpoint it, but there's just something about each bear's expression that is very 'you'.   With the better quality material, your artwork is getting a chance to truly shine  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am soooo late here, but Natasha I read all of page one and skipped to the chase-  your little girl is adorable and yes, TT is blessed by the angels on the board, and you were blessed by meeting so many of them at one time!

Keep up the beautiful work and don't get discouraged-you have potential and talent.

You should see my first bear-ugh!  I just found him the other day-poor baby.....

gollygoodhugs
dilu

PS contrary to what others have posted about me- I am not being niceynice-I call it the way I see it....and I like your work-keep it up.... bear_grin

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Natasha,  bear_flower
WOW!  Girlbear is sooooo cute!!  I'm delighted for you.   bear_original  bear_original It's so much fun watching your progress on this thread.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

thanks to everyone :hug:

PS contrary to what others have posted about me- I am not being niceynice-I call it the way I see it....

dilu, i must of missed that one............was it intended as an insult??if so it's not a very good one is it bear_grin
just because your positive and a nice person doesnt have to mean your being insincere  :hug:

thanks again to everyone for your support and for taking the time to read my posts,
Natasha

WA

Natty, girlbear is an absolute honey.  :clap:  Her proportions are excellent!
well done possum. Dont lose this pattern it is a very good one. I just love the mohair.
Didnt mean to insult your ribbon. I did understand your description of it. I think its callled' lace'. bear_grin  bear_grin  :redface:
No matter how much you loathe ironing.( you're such a funny bugger) I think it might be a good investment to get one. bear_grin
The leather cord has me baffled as well. I bought several different cord types. The leather one is the thinness that I could get and I still cant get it to go in the hole I try making. Way to fiddly for me.
Dont try doing it all at once Natty. Take it one step at a time. Try just sinking the eyesockets first and giving it a little shading. You are so clever that it wont take long before you are doing everything with ease.
Then you can start working on foot treatments like pulled toes and trapunta paws and so forth.  :twisted:  bear_grin bear_grin  bear_grin
Well you said you wanted tobe a bear maker bear_grin  bear_grin  :dance:  bear_grin  :dance:
Wendy bear_thumb

PS: the brown foot fabric  on Natty's first mohair bear is micro suede upholstery fabric. Its thin and very strong.
I picked it up from 'Spotlight' here in Aust.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

hi there everyone, its been a while since i posted anything but ive got a few things on the go so it wont be long untill the next bear is on show bear_grin
just in the meantime tho i had another go at a tiny bear, better than last time but still not perfect, there very tricky little things arent they bear_wacko
the next one im going to try a head gusset and proper limbs bear_shocked i must be crazy bear_grin
here is 'biskit' he mesures in at a huge 1 inch(sitting he fits between the markers on my mesuring tape)
Biskit1.jpg

see you soon for the next installment bear_grin

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Hahahahahha .... can I have a magnifying glass please?  I have a 24 inch monitor and he is still tiiiiiinnnyyyy !!  Use your softest cashmere, ultra suedes or velvety fabrics... easier to turn and makes it less stiff working on those tiny ears...    great job!

WA

Sorry Natty. Its too dark for my monitor and my stupid printer doesnt want to print it. It gets tempermental at times. ..aarrggghhhh. ruddy thing. 

I have been working on a wee one as well. But Mine is 1 1/2 inches. Which disappointed me. I was trying for smaller.hehehehehehh

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

wendy - so was i incedently..he he he.i was quite surprised that he was a whole inch!! bear_shocked  the cheek of him !
ive done the head ,minus the ears of the next one with the gusset, but i think he may turn out to be about 2 inches(i just cant draw them that small even when i try really hard,it just seems wrong.)but what he lacks in tiny he more than makes up in cute bear_wub ive been talking to his head flatout in a cutsie voice which is a tad pointless as he doesnt have his ears yet bear_grin glenn thinks im a nut(and maybe i am...no, do not answer that it was retorical :crackup: )i will have him made and posted in the next few days all going well.thanks for looking everyone bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've not been able to do the insee weensy bears, because I cannot possibly see or sew that small  bear_wacko !!!  Congrats on your newest ickle one, he's adorable  bear_wub

LOL @ the rhetorical question...my hubby's gotten used to the idea that I talk to my bears  bear_grin So you're not alone!  bear_grin

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

well......... here is 'Little Max'
Little_Max1.jpg
Little_Max2.jpg
Little_Max3.jpg
Little_Max4.jpg

and even after all these pictures i still couldnt capture the real him bear_rolleyes
max is 1 and a half inches sitting and a little over two inches standing,i was surprised because compared to the other mini i made the other day max is huge looking..huh?but really hes not much taller(just fatter and wider i guess bear_grin )
i waxed his nose with bees wax - which is my faverite part at the moment,i've even gone and waxed a few of my older bears noses, just for fun bear_tongue
i have a good old chat to the bears as i sit there buffing their nose bear_grin

ok hope you enjoy looking at him as much as i have enjoyed making him(and talking to him :crackup: )
bye,
Natasha

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

nice job! Too small for my old eyes though!

Marion

WA

ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT!!!  WAY TO GO NATTY!!!!! bear_thumb

Board footer