Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks to all who contributed to my "how tiny are your stitches" I posted. I learned from that that my stitches were too big even though I thought they were tiny! Now I've been practicing the very tiniest of stitches.

My next question is what stitch should I be using for a mini? Obviously a ladder stitch for closing up those main seams, but what about just the regular hand sewing? What is the strongest? A backstitch, a running stitch that you double over? Any others?

What kind of stitch do you guys do for your minis? I want what really holds up so when I turn those tiny pieces there won't be any little spaces and the thread isn't stretched.

Eliza

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I use a doubled normal thread back stitch. I pull quite tight after each stitch, but not so tight it ruffles or curles over.

I've always used a back stitch and I think it makes the bears allot stronger.

Richy~

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use silk thread, the good stuff, doubled.  I use 1/8-1/16th inch stitches and work my way across rocking the needle.  when I I get to the end, I return going back the way I came hitting the open areas with a stitch.

Did that make sense?

It is easier for me than trying to get a stitch straight across..

At the end of each stitch I give a very light tug to pull the threads taut, but not tight.

The end result should have the durability to be able to be stuffed quite firmly without showing through the fleece or fur- 

I learned from applique that silk thread has a delightful quality of blending in to the fabric and becoming nearly invisible...

Tyre or Clover silk threads work best for this-I have the Indian silk from e-bay but find it breaks too easily and is better used for other projects....

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

across rocking the needle.

Is that like the stitch motion & placement used for quilting, Diane? That'd be a running sts, no?

Board footer