Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Blue-mohair.jpghi all

I am hoping some of you maybe able to help me with this please bear_flower

The picture is the mohair i was thinking of using, it's 16mm dense, straight. (it's the same as the club colours)

I have never made a large bear before (i make 4-6") but would like to make one as a mascot for my sons swimming club, something they can take to competitions etc.

This bear would gets lots of handling , probably quite rough handling from all the kiddies and may well get a little damp now and again so he needs to be made of tough stuff:lol:

I have a few questions to ask so it might be easier for me just to list them.

What size is a good size for this project? I was thinking about  18" ?
How on earth do I make a pattern that big..ie proportions?
Mohair or synthetic? I am concerned about the strength of the backings to, and going on my own collection the synthetic can go bobbly!
Ultrasuede or something else for paw pads?
What size joints and eyes for this size of bear? (They would have to be safety ones)

Thats all i can think of at the moment but i'm sure there will be more bear_grin

Any tips or advice would be gladly welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks  bear_flower

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I'm no expert at all but i'll give my 2 cents.

I think 18 inches would be a great size, Nice to cuddle!

Making a pattern that big. Well, I think it;s just liek making a mini. Maybe since you are used to drawing a pattern mini style, Draw it mini and then get it enlarged with a photocopier! I think It would work great!

Well Mohair or synthetic... tough one. I would say Mohair would stand the test of time better.Allot of these antique bears made with mohair were well used and some are still here today!

I would say Ultrasuede would be great. It's hardwearing and tougher then felt, I think anyways.

Regards joints, Depends how the bear is going to look. You are going to have to mesure the joints after you've enlarged the pattern :)

Hope I helped even if a little,

Richy~

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I make lots of bears 18". The joints I use are usually 2 or 2 1/2", sometimes 3" depending on the proportions of your bear. You can always go to http://planet-teddybear.com and look thru the e-magazines for a pattern which you can print out to give you a start on getting the correct proportions. Once you see from the printouts what sizes the printed out pattern peices are, you can have a better idea on designing yours.
Sonya

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi Wendi
What a great idea.  I've made so many bears for my niece and nephew, they have stood the test of time, being washed and put in the drier, slept with....they have all been synthetic with wooden joints and have been fine and almost look new a few years later.  I use Kogee Plush and the kids love the softness....

18" sounds great, but the cost of mohair for that big a bear is the only thing I can think of...and, if for any reason you need to make a replacement bear, you can buy double the amount of synthetic just incase...

Proportions..Can you take one of your patterns to a large photocopier and enlarge?  My printer isn't large enough, so I just draw new patterns freehand, but you could use the photocopier and those huge sheets 

Not sure on the paw pads...something that won't discolour or show if a sticky finger handles it.....maybe just use the fur and clip it back to the backing?

Hope this helps...good luck!

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Thanks for your help Richy, Sonya, and Sarah

I had forgotton about Planet Teddy Bear, I shall definately go and have a look there bear_original I will also try enlarging one of mine and see how it turns out.

Thanks again, this is going to be a bit of a challenge I think bear_grin

Board footer