Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I'm finally getting really confident with my minis (2-4"), and there is only ONE thing I think I'm missing out on.  I've found that so much of successful mini making is having the right materials and the right techniques.  I'm missing something about noses!  What thread is recommended for stitching a mini nose?  I've tried a couple of different things and haven't been totally happy with them... figured it was time to ask the experts!  I've got a 4" mohair bear that is absolutely pristine and I am infinitely happy with... all she needs is her nose, and I'm afraid I'll mess it up!

All advice is appreciated  bear_original
Kelly

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I'll use anywhere from 1-3 strands of embroidery floss.  And then I just stitch like I would a big nose...on a tiny scale bear_original

Hope that helps, can't wait to see your minis!

:hug:
~Chrissi

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

I like DMC Perle cotton ... number 12 or 8  ..... also some embroidery threads ..even some of the metallics... whatever feels right and is light for the little noses..  put a selection beside the mini...and choose the best one.  good luck and looking forward to seeing when done...

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

What I use for most of mini noses is "flower thread". Unfortunately it was discontinued several years ago - although occasionally I will see some for sale on ebay. It is like pearl cotton but softer and finer and came in a huge variety of colors. For bears that are a bit larger - like 3 or 4 inches I use a fine pearl cotton - size 12 or even up to size 8 depending on the size of nose I want. Once it is sewn I choose whether to leave it plain or varnish or wax or it. I have also used embroidery cotton but find that keeping several strands together can be a bit trickier so prefer the flower thread or fine pearl cotton.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I use embroidery floss too, even on the smallest bears you can seperate the thread and use it..plus colour matches are a sinch.  Especailly if you cross stitch too  bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Silly dilu just discovered there is silk embroidery thread available on e-bay-which I think would be grand, as silk is stronger, doesn't fray as easily as cotton and will have a slight shiny look to it.....I ordered some different greens for the silk ribbon embroidery and then kicked myself because this would also be a good application.....

http://stores.ebay.com/Threadart-Quilti … idZ2QQtZkm

and i am known for being a bit slap dash at the end so I frequently use one of Sassy Bears and Fabric's (Steph) mini resin noses.....

gollyhugs
dilu

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I find that cottons like floss and flower threads shred and fuzz too quickly on noses that have more than 2 layers stitched.
Silk also tends to break. The same thread I sew with, Metrosene Plus is what I use for noses, up to 8+ layers thick. All stitched with one threading on the needle.
It also has sheen and if the threads are placed and smoothed exactly next to each other the sts create a very smooth solidly filled in nose.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Bobbie I always gloss my noses so avoid any fuzzing.  Wow, you stitch 8 layer noses!  Suppose thats why they look so gorgeous on your bears  bear_innocent

Board footer