Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi!

We've got so many animal lovers here I wanted to post this.  If you see your dog or cat food listed (toward the end of the article) go to the actual brand names web site for more detailed information on codes/dates/and reactions.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/petfoo … index.html

Hope no one here is affected :hug: 

:hug:
~Chrissi

UPDATED MONDAY 3/19:

Over 90 brands of dog and cat foods are now invovled in the recall.  The most accurate code information can be found here: http://menufoods.com/recall/

Please check your food, the results of the bad batch are not good.

Mellisenda Mellisenda's
Florida

bear_cry Oh, how awful. I have two dogs and three cats and live in the US. Luckily we feed them all Purina One Chicken pet food. Thank you for posting about it here, though.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh I heard about that on the news and ran to my look at who makes the food I give my cat. Luckily it is not on the recall list. What a good reminder to post Chrissi!

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

thanks for the link! i am glad i shop at petco & only buy science diet...those poor pet owners... bear_sad

K Pawz Guest

Sorry Teresa but Science Diet is on the list, make sure you check to see if the type you are feeding is on here, here is a detailed list of all the foods that are recalled and dates...It only affects the chunks in gravy type foods, not any dry foods I got this list from the PetSmart.com site
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht … =factset15
and here is a very detailed listhttp://media.corporate-ir.net/media_fil … andout.pdf

Hugs,
Krista

providence, rhode island

oo! thanks for that! i do feed him mostly dry food, and maybe once a month give him a can of wet. turns out, my boyfriend bought some cans on sale at petco and they are on the list!! i think we only gave him one can...and that was weeks ago. he seems okay...i am throwing away the rest... bear_shocked

K Pawz Guest

Yes toss them, by the sounds of it with this, if there is going to be a problem regarding renal failure you would notice it right away...so fingers crossed all is well, just to be safe though you could always call your vet and ask them what they think? I actually had some of the Nutro puppy food that my pup ate one can of around Christmas but refused to eat after that, hmmm wonder if there was something up with it now...she is fine, no ill effects at all...although the other two went straight into the garbage this morning!

hugs,
Krista

providence, rhode island

yeah, he seems fine in the cat box department. i will call my vet on monday just to be sure...i am glad you linked that list. also, you have a smart puppy!  bear_smile

K Pawz Guest

I am sure she is fine....and lots of those foods just did a precautionary recall, you could also go right to the Science diet website and see what they say, I went to the Nutro and their site said that there have been no deaths from Nutro but have recalled to err on the side of caution...

Hugs,
Krista

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.

I've worried this would happen, there are some really gross things they put in dog and cat food. Even the "good stuff". I started awhile back feeding my dogs raw turkey mixed with leftover brown rice, oatmeal, and veggies. They are doing great. I guess I'm a bit obsessive about that, I might as well confess that I also add flaxseed meal and eggs. They are my babies... bear_rolleyes

providence, rhode island
Dorothy wrote:

I've worried this would happen, there are some really gross things they put in dog and cat food. Even the "good stuff". I started awhile back feeding my dogs raw turkey mixed with leftover brown rice, oatmeal, and veggies. They are doing great. I guess I'm a bit obsessive about that, I might as well confess that I also add flaxseed meal and eggs. They are my babies... :rolleyes:

i have considered cooking food for my kitty before, but i just lack the time! plus, i like him to eat the hard food since for kitties it helps them have healthier teeth...i think it great that you can take such great care of your pups! they are lucky to have such a loving mom!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

thanks for posting this list. Fortunately my guys mainly eat dry food and only occasionally eat wet - but their brand is on the list. Off to the cupboard to throw the stuff out! It'll break their little hearts! I was going to give them a can for supper tonight!

Marion

I just added an update to the first post.  The idea of one furball getting ill or worse because of a little can or pouch of food just makes me so.... <ugh>!  Please check the post and your food brand again...often until they know all of the specifics.

~Chrissi

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thank you for that list. My heart took a leap when I saw Eukanuba...but it's for wet food only. We only feed dry, whew.

The information on TV has been a little misleading. The were saying that canned food only sold at Walmart, Safeway and a couple other stores were affected making it sounds like it was house-brand food. Then I saw a blip from Petsmart and that piqued my attention.

So thanks again for posting that list!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Chrissi thank you SO MUCH for sharing this list!!!!  :hug:   My own cat Mister started vomiting yesterday, but I've checked, and his food isn't on the list.  Between you me and the fencepost, I think he ate something he wasn't supposed to, as he's in "The Mighty Hunter" mode.   bear_rolleyes   But will probably cook him up some nice rice and broth for this evening's meal.

Because 2 of our brands were affected (Science Diet and Nutro Natural Choice) we're feeding the cats and dogs plain dry food for now.

The latest update I see out there is that Purina is recalling as well: Purina to voluntarily withdraw Mighty Dog® 5.3 ounce pouch products in response to Menu Foods recall.

It seems that this Menu Foods is involved with well over 40 different brands of pet food. 

~Chrissi

On more update to this recall.  Just don't want one furball to slip through the cracks  bear_cry

UPDATED MONDAY 3/19:

Over 50 brands of dog and 40 brands of cat foods are now involved in the recall.  The most accurate code information can be found here: http://menufoods.com/recall/

Please check your food,even double check..... the results of the bad batch are not good. bear_cry

~Chrissi

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Chrissi!
I'm soo glad my kind isn't on the list. Scarey but this new link you've posted really helps sort thru all the info

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

We have a 15 1/2 yr. old Lab/Doberman mix. She is 'well past her expiry date' bear_happy  for a large breed so we decided that she could eat whatever food was her favourite in her twilight time. Her absolute favourite is "OL' Roy" brand dry that makes its own gravy. This is one of the brands on the list, but as previously mentioned, the ban is only on canned or wet food. The last bag we bought her of 'Ol' Roy' she refuses to eat gravied or dry.
Makes me wonder if she knows something we don't........ bear_ermm  bear_ermm

Don't you think its interesting that the same company makes the $50 a bag food and the $10 a bag food? Really makes me wonder about all the hype..... bear_ermm

Cheryl bear_flower

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Chrissi,

Thanks for posting that information. I had just fed my cat's their last pouch of Iams Select Bites. Fortunately, I still had a pouch in the garbage and dug it out. Iams has posted a very intensive list on their website of the plant #'s that produced the bad food and luckily what I had in the house didn't have those numbers on them.

Hubby says he's going back to cooking for him, just like he did for our cat who passed over the rainbow bridge a few years ago.

I agree, the thought of anyone's beloved furries getting sick from their food is too hard for me to think of.

Hugs,

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Thank you so much for posting this thread Chrissi! :hug:  :hug: None of what we feed our pets is on the list (thank goodness!), but my mother uses some of them.  I sent the info on to her so she could check it all out.  She thinks she's probably okay for now, but is keeping an eye on things. bear_thumb

Board footer