Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

ok i've made another one......and messed it up compleatly :crackup: aparently its not a good idea to make heaps of minis in a row and then plow straight into a bigger bear bear_laugh her heads way way way too big - compared to the rest of her(but because i plowed straight in i didnt notice any thing wrong with my pattern)the body looked huge compared to what id been drawing for the minis!so once i realised that id made the mistake i decided to try out all the new techniques on her.so needless to say shes quite the mess bear_grin but i thought id share anyway to see if anyone else thinks ...she's so ugly she's cute.....sorta(can't make up my mind)
Introducing....Miss Quasi - We can't all be beautiful.
Miss_Quasi.jpg 

shes about (oopse forgot to mesure - i'll be right back)6 inches sitting!!!i cant believe it she looks so huge!!i even checked twice bear_shocked
thanks for looking and for me its back to the minis,
Natasha

K Pawz Guest

She is adorable Natasha!!!
Any chance the package I sent you showed up on your doorstep yet?

Hugs,
Krista

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Natasha!!  She's beautiful!! 

Love her, love her, LOVE HER!!

As I have recently found out, mistakes can be such fun!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Natty, you are so WRONG about her. I think she's great. Just a bit of tweeking and this pattern is a potential seller.
Honest, would I tell porkies ????
The molded nose is wonderful!!! Are you not going to tell everyone who made it????
You have put a dress on her so her body looks larger than I gather that it is.  So to us she is wonderful!!
Wendy bear_thumb

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

yes wendy i am going to tell who made the nose bear_tongue i just forgot - its not a secret
for all you out there wondering- my husband Glenn made the nose in about 5 mins or less on his first try with his fingers and a bbq squewer :twisted: made me sooo mad because here was i ,trying for hours to make a nose shape with all sorts of tools etc and getting really frustrated by it all.he came in and made some comment(cant remember now)so i said in disgust "why dont you make one then"....and he did!! :twisted:  :crackup: and it was good. so now my new ambition is to make one better than his - no luck yet tho bear_grin
i love him lots but sometimes(just for a minute...or two bear_tongue  bear_grin )i wish he wasnt so smart - he can do anything.ive given him a kit to make and no doubt he'll be better than me at that too bear_tongue if he ever gets around to doing it.

and thanks to all you peoples saying you like quasi - but if you saw her in person youd probably scream......there is something about her that makes me want to look at her all the time - but  it sure aint beauty :crackup:

WA
greatwon2 wrote:

but if you saw her in person youd probably scream......there is something about her that makes me want to look at her all the time - but  it sure aint beauty :crackup:

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Get the hubby to make all the noses. There are a few husband and wife teams out there in Bearworld land.
True!
Wendy bear_thumb

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

Long time no see bear_grin
but i have managed to finish another little guy.....Named Pi
P1010237.JPG

He's 1 and a (almost) half inches sitting and 2 inches standing...after i took the photo's i noticed that his nose needs waxing so i'll have better photos after i've done that as all the ones i have now look terrible bear_tongue

Thanks very much for looking :teddybear:

Edit: urgghhh....that nose looks awful in the photo bear_cry ...it's not that bad to look at really....... promise bear_tongue
i'll wax it and get a better pic up tonight.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

Ok i've waxed his nose now but i couldn't be bothered going outside so the photo is a tad blurry but it shows all of him so it'll do bear_tongue
P1010256.JPG

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Natasha: Pi is soooo cute....what fun you must have had in making him....

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

yeah i do have lots of fun making the minis bear_grin the only trouble is no matter how small i seem to draw the pattern i can't get past that 1 and a half inch mark(exept for when i dont use a gusset etc.)i'd like to be able to make one inchers(maybe i could just give them a real short stubby body bear_tongue )

i find that big bears are harder to design and make and when i do make them over about 5 inches i get sick of working on the same thing halfway through an it takes me ages to go back and finish it.....i like to see quick results and i have a patience problem, so for me mini's are perfect, the only trouble is that i love the feel of mohair and working with it .....so i still make a bigger one every now and then(i've got one sitting on my work table with no legs at the moment)a lot of people have told me about the good synthetics and i do believe them...i just dont personally like the look of bears made with it(there are some exeptions) i guess i've just fallen in love with mohair, the look, the feel - it even smells nice bear_grin and i have found that curly mohair forgives a few boo boo's tho i have trouble figuring out which way the pile goes, i think i have it right then i still end up with it all over the place  bear_wacko

thanks for having a look at my little Pi and for your comments bear_original

WA

PI is adorable Natty :hug:  He looks very comfy in your hand.hehehe
When cutting out the pattern on the fabric cut within the line. When designing, any extra copying adds mm's to the size. The aim is to keep that increase in sizing down. Hence cutting within the line.
If you dont understand what I mean? just trace around a pattern piece. Cut that out and trace around that piece. Cut it out and trace around that piece. You will see your pattern grow. When you are making 1-2" bears those extra mm's are very noticable.
Spotya Natty, have fun!!!
WEndy bear_thumb

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

you know what wendy?? that makes sense..why i dont think of these things i'll never know bear_rolleyes
and Pi is comfy in my hands and he looks so sweet with his arms up, a real sweetie pie(Pi)

1 inch bear - here i come.......

WA
greatwon2 wrote:

1 inch bear - here i come.......

bear_grin  :dance:  bear_grin  :dance:  bear_thumb
Thats our Natty!!! you go girl!!!!!!! :dance:  :dance:

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

Well i tryed for one inch.....didnt get there tho bear_tongue  but i do have a new wee fella to show for todays dishes still being on the sink
P1010265.JPG
P1010277.JPG

This is Zeb (thanks richie) He's 1 and a quarter inches sitting......1 and 3 quarters standing.Close but no bananas bear_grin
i did learn to sew ears on properly so the thread and raw edges of them dont show.....yay!!! 

Thanks for looking bear_original

WA

:dance:  :dance: HE'S ADORABLE NATTY :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

mumka Posts: 80
Website

Hi! As you can see I'm totally new here and I'm a bit confused making my first post for this purpose... I've been a lurker here for a while and now I decided to post. You amazed me by being so nice, friendly and helpfull bear_wub  So maybe you could help me too... I would like to buy some mohair scraps for making mini bears  :redface: if someone have left, most of you send it already to Natty ^^' I'm in a similar situation, but I would like to pay for it, just shop prices are bit too high .... and if someone have spare pieces ... I'm a bit worried that you will think I'm just playing you up, if so I'm sorry bear_sad  And if I'm posting it in a wrong place I'm sorry twice ^^'  Just tell me if I'm making something wrong.

But if you would like to see my 'cheap' bears welcome to my flickr page, I'm uploading photos right now :)

Ania

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

hi Ania....i looked at your photos, wow! theres some real cuties there bear_original not everyone follows this post so your post  may be better put into general, on its own that way no-one will miss it. have you had a look at sassy's fabric?http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/fabrics.htm she sells mini bear fabric and also mini bear mohair, she sells it in small afordable amounts too...i havnt ordered from her as yet but im planning on it really soon(just waiting on paypal account) might be worth a look bear_thumb  other people may have other suggestions for you, as you know im new too! and if it wasnt for all the lovely ladies that helped me out i probably wouldnt be doing it still, way too frustrating with out the right fabrics. you didnt do the wrong thing posting here bear_original i just think you may not get many replies here, more people will see your post if its on its own in general. 

Natasha...aka....Natty - (thanks wendy)... bear_grin

Website

Thank you very much, Natty! :hug: I've already ordered a few pieces of different fabric, I'll try it which is the best! But I think buying spare pieces from people who didn't need it might be good idea not only for me, it's almost like recycling bear_tongue I thought that maybe it's a topic about it somewere here but I found only this one so... But I think I'll follow your advice and ask on general. Thanks againg :)

Ania

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

not a problem...glad i could help  bear_original

WA

Gidday Ania,  I had a wee peek into your photo site. They are so tiny and cute. You most definitely have your own style. Way to go :dance:
I'm not sure how I can help possum, because I'm not sure what are a needing. Is it mohair that you are after or mini synthetics.  Not many mohairs are suitable for mini making or I should say micro in your case.
As Natty has advised the Sassy fabrics are great.  I noticed that you already have them on order.
I have been looking on ebay lately for fabrics. You can get them quite cheaply as long as you persever with different auctions. Some ya lose some ya win. bear_grin There are alot of off cuts/ left over pieces that people sell in lots.
They would be well worth looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINIATURE-BEAR-FABR … dZViewItem

this is a seller on ebay at the moment. they are selling mini fabrics. they have about 8 piece auctioning now. I think I saw the price at $10.50 or something rather silly like that. Well worth a look Ania
Stay in touch. Let me know how you go. I will look out some pieces that I may have.
Take care happy bear making :dance:
Wendy bear_thumb

Website

yay, that's what I needed!:D I was looking on ebay but I had to search in wrong way, I always ended finding ultra expencive or finished bears ^^' I'm going hunting now, muahaha  bear_grin Thank you very much Wendy, I knew I could count on people here:)
But my bears aren't that small, the smallest have 2,5" I think. There is one really micro, but didn't make a pict because he's a bit ugly ;P But I'm glad that you like them.
So thanks again :hug:

Ania

WA

I have sent you a PM Ania! bear_thumb
Wendy

Board footer