Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Friday, March 23
Geneva, NY
I was invited by Ann Goldfarb, principal of Geneva Middle School, to talk to the 6th thru 8th students at her school. I had a wonderful time talking to the kids and answering questions.  The most popular question was... "How long does it take you to make a bear?"  The second most popluar question was...  "How much do you sell your bears for?" I answered all of their questions and spoke in detail of the bear making process.  Each student was given a copy of my Brewster pattern. I know that one student was going to make it up.

ST1a.jpg
I am talking to a group of 7th graders.

ST2a.jpg
Here the students are listening to me and Axel Bunny, is checking them out!

ST4a.jpg
More 7th grade students.

ST3a.jpg
I am pictured here with Jeri & Molly, the consumer and domestic science teachers.

The purpose of my trip was to expose the students to the fact that I was using my sewing skills to make a living.
I explained a little of the history of teddy bears. Explained about the tools and materials used to make bears. I brought poly fil, excelsior, mohair, leather, felt, and a few oher items to share with the students.  The students had never before seen or felt mohair.  They liked feeling the different styles of mohair that I passed around.

I also brought several bears and bunnies with me.  The finished products caught their attention and they looked them over and checked out the details as I explained the creation of the bunnies.

I discussed basic business practices and touched on the use of computers.  I also gave them a resource sheet that listed US suppliers of mohair, online materials (teddy-talk.com), and the magazines.  I am hoping that few of them will pop on and check us out.

I also talked with them about the different types of shows that I do. I explained the differences between trade only shows and retail shows. I also chatted for a little bit about Toy Fair and a shared a few pictures that I took.  I also talked about a movie that was coming out... The Last Mimzy and that I knew the artist who made the bunnies that were used in the movie... I had them with that.  A gasp of excitment when through the room.  (Thanks Daphne!)

I chatted to several groups through out the day. And by days end I was ready to go home.
The school picked me up and dropped me off, which was nice. I didn't really care to rent a car and drive to someplace that I had never been to before.  I ended up waiting at the airport for several hours due to bad weather in Chicago.  But the airport was nice and I was able to do some shopping and get dinner before flying home.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Jared . . . that sounds like a terrific time!  It's great that you were able to teach so many of the young ones about the teddy industry.  Maybe we'll get a fresh, new crop of collectors and/or bear artists because you took the time to share your knowledge.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_thumb Jared,
Really professional! Have you thought of going on the lecture circuit? Boy, could the teddy bear world use a spokesman like you.
Karen
P.S. Kids are the toughest audience and you seemed to get their attention.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

That's really awesome. The arts are dying out in school here and it's such a shame. It's nice to see all is not lost! Not everybody in life is going to be an accountant. We need to feed the arts so much. Good for you!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

That is wonderful Jared - how neat that you were able to educate the students, maybe  new collectors or Bear Artists.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
KJ Lyons wrote:

bear_thumb Jared,
Really professional! Have you thought of going on the lecture circuit? Boy, could the teddy bear world use a spokesman like you.
Karen
P.S. Kids are the toughest audience and you seemed to get their attention.

I might have had their attention because I am such a big guy... LOL! :crackup:

I am going to put together a packet of information and send it out to some school districts after we get done with Schaumburg.
Who knows maybe I'll make my fortune by flapping my jaws...talk014.gif

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Way to go Jared !! That looked like allot of fun !!!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Jared: what a wonderful thing you did educating young people about the teddy bear industry and teddy bear making. I bet you have inspired many creative souls when you were done.

teeeej Brisbane

Wow that is so cool! I wish someone had come to my school, I may have taken up bear making a lot earlier. I think its great that  you share your experience with others. Somethings can only be learned face to face. Reading it from a pattern or a book just isn't the same.

p.s. I love your bunnies. I just bought your Brewster pattern of ebay, and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival!! :dance:  :dance:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:dance:  :clap: Way to go Jare!!!  :clap:  :dance:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very cool, Jared... and what a great community service.  Thanks so much for posting pics!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh WOW Jared!!!  How cool!!!  THey flew you to NY from IL so you could talk creating bears (and bunnies!).... how awesome is THAT??!!!

And you namedropper.   bear_grin ... mentioning that you know who created the actual Mimzy!  Well, I have to say... I do the same thing  :crackup:   LOVE how the kids were so impressed with that!

Board footer