Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Well...I've been taught to measure and measure again...but it seems that by the time I get done doing all that I end up having to make an adjustment here and there and just eye ball it...I'm specifically referring to these silly bear ears.  Yes, Winney, I'm still having EAR WARS!!!

Does anyone else have this issue...or am I just living in my own cockeyed world?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep.  Sounds about normal to me....

On the other hand, you all might be saying, how on earth can Dilu know what's normal.

Hmm

good question....

Shantell, you should be very worried, very afraid bear_grin:lol::lol:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My method of getting the ears straight is measuring.  I always install the eyes first, then after sewing on one ear, measure the distance between the beginning of that ear down to the top of the eye on the same side.  Then measure on the other side from the top of the eye up to where the other ear should begin, then sew it on.  Clear as mud??

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Nope...it still can happen! Sometime it may be a little off  even though you have  measured  but the ear  can be corrected easily, if its more than little off... what I do is;

Take a look and see which ear position, the left one or the right one... I like the best. Is it a minor correction or do you need to cut the thread  and start it all over again?

With a threaded needle in hand...decide which direction the ear needs to go in ? You can actually pull that ear ( corner ) east or west .

Make a knot... go under the ear to hide the knot then OUT at the chosen corner... make a stitch in that ear corner...go inside the head and pull the ear in the direction it needs to go in... a good place to anchor your stitches  is behind the opposite  ear.
You have to figure this out logically as you go ...just take one step at a time ..and if you goof... you can always pull the thread out and start  all over again.

If you need to go north or south with the offending ear.... for north, I take a bit of the back  center of the ear( near the bottom ) and pull it towards the back of the head and anchor it right there  next to the bottom ear seam...
For south , I pull both corners of the offending ear towards the front ...anchor just in front of each corner ...
If you think this out first ... it can be done... but sometimes it is easier to correct the problem by undoing the stitches and re stiching the offending ear.

One thing I learned  early on was... I always stitch the RIGHT ear ( facing me )  on FIRST because that one is the hardest for me to match the left ear I already stitched on ..Why ? because I am right handed....so when I stitch the right ear on, I often have to turn the bear around so I end up stitching with his back facing me....trying to match up with the other in this position is very difficult for me.
So..I do the RIGHT ear first then when I stitch on  the left ear he is facing me and I can easily see the way it curves so I can match it up much better.

If all this fails Shantell... I am coming to Lebanon area soon to see my son and my 2 new baby  twins ...and I can come over and show you HANDS ON how to win the EAR WARS ...by crackie ! ....Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Winney, but you really don't have to...although I would love to meet you.  I posted that before I attacked this set of ears and wouldn't you know it....they went on without a hitch.  I think I backwards jinxed myself.  bear_original:)

I hope can find time to finish this little critter up and post some pictures of him/her before Tuesday. 

I knew measuring was the right thing to do...I just sometimes get lost in all that fur. bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

I've got to be honest here, maybe I go 'against the grain' but I definitely EYEBALL!!

I always sew the heads of my bear first, then nose, then eyes, then the rest of the bear, the EARS LAST.

Always works out ok with me.................

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I'm with Clare, I eyeball it also.  I found it very difficult when I first started making bears to get the ears right.. but now after about 35 bears, it comes much more naturally and quicker - so don't stress Shantell - it'll come!

Danni

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...I actually do measure to get started but seem to always end up having adjust and that's where the eyeballing comes in.  I get lost in all the fur...:D

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am an 'eyeballer'...I've tried measuring but it never works for me...and then I just think if it looks right to me then it should look right to others.

Sometimes they are wonky and I have to start again....but most of the time I'm fine just 'winging it'

Jenny

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

ughh..ears are one of the worst jobs for me.  I do the eyeballing thing too.  I don't measure.
I pin them both in place and make sure the seams running from the eyes are both in the same place on the ears.  then i tack both sides and back of ear 1, then the same on ear 2, then ladder stitch both making sure that the ear 2 looks the same as ear 1 lol.  I will re sew ear 2 a couple of times usually.
it does get easier with time..like noses, i used to hate them, i now quite like sewing my noses :)
hugs sarah

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I never measure anything.  I always use my eyes to judge - must make that opticians appointment ... !! bear_happy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yeah, I hate ears too. I think the reason I hate them is it's the LAST thing I do on my bear before I joint him etc. And Bec. I also eyeball it, it takes me a long time to figure out where I want them and to make them even.
Winny, thanks for your tips though. Funny, I am also right handed and I always sew on the left ear 1st. Never thought of why. Now I will always sew on the right ear 1st.
Learning something new everyday.
Heather

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I eyeball it too!  (though I'll try at least starting out with Sue Ann's techinque)

One tip I learned from Jo Martenson (Bearfoot Alley Teddees) is to take a look at your bear in the mirror after you have test eyes in and ears pinned on.  It's easier to see if anythings "off whack" that way.

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

I also do the nose, then eyes then ears.  I measure but eyeballing is my final decision for placement!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

placing ears is the hardest thing for me.... especially if it is long pile that I am working with!  I usually attach all limbs, sew on a nose and then place my ears, eyes are the last facial feature

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I like to set in the eyes, do the nose and then I "eyeball" the ears. I pin them on and then hold the head out to see if I like the position and re-pin if necessary. Occasionally they are a bit off but usually are OK. Let's face it; people's features are not really symetrical so I figure a teddy's features can be the same.

Marion

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Isn't it interesting how different we all are in the order we do things in.

Except for brushing the ears are the very very last thing I do.  I want to see them on a full bear in conjunction to the eyes etc.

Marion from Canada I'm with you, little differances should be fine.

Dilu

Deb Upstate New York

Eyeball ... definitely.  And "feel".

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

winney! is that stage left or stage right first?     I'm also right handed.I'm sure that exsplains alot.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hmm....I'm an eyeballer, but have occasionally had to unpick and start again.... :/

On longer/denser fur i find it helps to use a 'low tack' masking tape to hold the fur. I part the fur where I want to place the ears and use the tape to keep it out of the way. I do this on both sides before stitching either ear on, because it's easier to judge without an ear in the way! I've also been known to trim some fur off where the ears are going, but you have to confident about this 'cos there's no going back.... bear_happy

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Matilda...I do the ear on the left ... that is facing me....Winney

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh now...I think I'm little late here....
I do have problem for setting eyes, ear in perfect position.
I do same thing with Laura said " Look at your bear in the mirror " and it really helps me.

Shantell, I hope your next measure measure eyeball will be more easy.... :)

Bear Hugs/Marie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantell, WHen I first started I used to use the eye placement eyes for perfect palcement.  They really are nice and you can try out different poisitions until you get them right where you want them.
I have to admit that now I just eyeball it.:rolleyes:

Board footer