Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Yes, I realise that subject title is a bit of an oxy moron, but I ask because Su Lin sold on ebay last night (yay, success finally), she was offered as an OOAK but 2 of the losing bidders have contacted me wanting a panda just like her.

How different does a panda need to be in order not to be deemed the same as the original.  Does just changing the accessories make it different or do the changes need to be more drastic?  I don't want to change the pattern and I suppose I could change the fur (but I quite liked it and I have heaps of it lol)....what are everyone's thoughts?

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I think there is a thread around here about that. Isn't it at least three things different? I changed my tags to "original design" because OOAK was too exclusive for me.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

original design

Ahhh, but ...darned it ~ that uses 11 more characters of the 55 we're allowed in eBay's titles/subtiles than OOAK   bear_sad

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I don't think there are hard and fast rules that everyone goes by, but you don't want to be dishonest to your original buyer, so you have to go with what you feel is right. I think changing the accessories might count if it were a dressed bear with a completely different outfit, but if it were just a different bow, perhaps not. I also think using different fur makes it a new bear, but I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on that.  For example, I call these fellows ones-of-a-kind even though they are made from variations of the same pattern.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=10966

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9986

Many people feel that in order for a bear to be one of a kind the pattern design must only be used once and then never again. Most of my pattern design bags contain various options, longer/shorter snout, panda/regular/inset body style, curved feet straight feet etc. To me, if I put these together in a way I haven't before including using different fur, then I have a new bear. If you are not comfortable with that, you could make very small editions (3-5) They are small enough so that your collectors feel they are getting something exclusive, but you can still make a couple of people happy.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

P.S Your panda is darling I can see why more people want him!

sarahjane Brisbane

It is hard to define it and there have been a few threads  trying to do just that....from what I can make out everyone has differing opinions as to what constitutes One of a Kind...I can only tell you the formula I use but whether that is correct I wouldn't know. Personally I feel that if a bear looks completely different from another bear then it would be one of a kind, whether or not you use the same pattern I don't think matters (only my opinion here).....but I think if you use the same fur and the same pattern then it should perhaps be a limited edition or something like that. I think it is very difficult to use different patterns for every bear you make and because bears are really only a sum of their parts ie legs arms head etc even if you were to draw up a new pattern every time then you would probably end up with something similar after a few bears anyway (I have done this myself). I do find that I mix and match my pattern pieces and very rarely or never use exactly the same pieces anyway though

I think that if you were to make a panda the same as the one you sold on Ebay out of the same fur etc then the one you sold would no longer be one of a kind....but again this is only my opinion. Perhaps you could email the buyer and see if they minded? Having one of a kind is more important to some people than others....Or you may be able to tell the people that have asked that you only make one of a kind bears and offer to make something else for them.....Good luck!!!  bear_original  And congrats on selling your bear!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've been using "Original Design" from the get-go.  I just found it fit my needs best. 

Most of us are listing in the Artist/OOAK category already, so ooak in a title might even be repetitive (??)

I think if you sold that first panda as a "ooak" then you should do some things to make the newer ones different....being fair to that first buyer who bought a "ooak".  For me personally, this would be more than changing an accessory.  Changing the fur, color, maybe eyes, nose shape, the arm or leg a bit (???)...something that made the new bears original in their own right and different from the contract you had with your first buyer.  But again, that's just my take on it. bear_original

Your panda is adorable bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to agree with Chrissi, I think you need to make some changes to the bear  and not just an accessory or something like that.  Perhaps change one of the furs you used in the panda or something like that. Changing the eyes or the eye sizes different colouro f pad fabric .  Just to make it look a little different , put yourself in your customers place and decide how you would feel if you had purchased a OOAK bear and then found out that the artist had made other's that were basically the same bear.  I know I wouldn't be happy when I thought I was buying a OOAK.

big hugs

Shane

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

This is just a thought...........How about enlarging the pattern by say 10 or 15% or even shrinking it by 10 or 15% .....this way you don't have to make too many changes as the bears will be different in size.   I own an old Steiff bear....they originally made the bear in 3 different sizes, all 3 sizes have their own Edition Numbers.  The bears all look the same, just their sizes that are different.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
bubbles wrote:

This is just a thought...........How about enlarging the pattern by say 10 or 15% or even shrinking it by 10 or 15% .....this way you don't have to make too many changes as the bears will be different in size.   I own an old Steiff bear....they originally made the bear in 3 different sizes, all 3 sizes have their own Edition Numbers.  The bears all look the same, just their sizes that are different.

Well  duhhh  why the heck didn't I think of that  :crackup:  :crackup:   good thinking Ilze that would be the easiest solution now wouldn't it.

big hugs

Shane

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I like to explore different ideas with a common theme (like the fish and rider in my avatar). I say they are "OOAK in Series" meaning they are similar but not identical to each other. The difference might be materials, accessories, pose, size or whatever but will have the same theme.
I don't use patterns generally, as I like to just draw on the fabric and cut it out but can still make the bears pretty accurately the same if I choose to.
I have never had a customer not buy because of this, in fact I have collectors who enjoy having more than one piece in a particular series just to compare them and see how the idea has 'progressed'
I don't know if this helps or not!

Cheryl bear_flower

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Ilze you are a GENIUS !  That is a brilliant idea !  Problem solved.... thank you.  And thank you also to everyone elses input...all very helpful as well.

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

That panda is the sweetest ever!!!

Board footer