Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone,

Which websites do you find bring the most people to your own site?  I am registered with so many beary sites (not referring to artists own sites) with links placed on mine too, but when I look at my statistics for visitors it does not seem like they bring that many visitors along.   Do any of you know which sites collectors seem to prefer visiting?  Thanks for any suggestions :)

Bear Hugs,
Catherine

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

You knnow Catherine...I just recently read something about that subject.  I didn't pay real close attention to it, but it had something to do with only linking to websites that have a large amount of hits to them.

I didn't fully understand what they are talking about, but I assume they mean don't link to something like 'smoochie woochie bears' (Lord help me if there really is a smoochie woochie...my appolgies if there is) but rather link to someone like Sue Ann, Judi, Shelli...oohhh man, don't everyone run to them for a link now!!! Hope I haven't stepped into a pile of doo doo here.

It has something to do with increasing your hits.

Laura...you can jump in on this anytime now.  She may know better, what I am talking about.  She is a website whiz...
Nanc

Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Nanc, thanks - I have links with many sites, like Bearpile, Bears Direct, topteddybears....  but I'm not sure if people really see my site in amongst the hundreds of others. 

Catherine

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:):)Well golly Nanc...thanks for mentioning me.  I am very flattered:):)

Catherine,
like Nanc said, linking with other bear artists is a good way to connect with collectors.  Also North Country Teddy Bears is  great place to get noticed.  Nancy Tillberg is very innovative and creative.  She owns this site and really does  alot to promote artists.  SHe si talented and works very hard at bringing people to the site.  check it out at www.northcountryteddybears.com  It is an inexpensive way to have you and your work showcased.   If I am remembering correctly it is $79.00 for one year.  I have had more people see my work there than on my own website. Oh, and it also links to your website.  She also offers a FREE area in which to list any available bears, including any that you have on ebay.  I wouldn't pass this up.

Anything else to get your name out there, too, is good.  Like running an advertisement in one of the Teddy Bear Collector magazines.  This can get pretty pricey though.  I'd check out Nancy's NCTB site.  She always has something "bruin".

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

When it comes to search engines, it is not linking to sites with allot of activity, it is linking to sites with similar content. All the top search engines work this way. Example:

Your website is called X, if you link to 30 others teddy bear web sites your ranking will be increased in the teddy bear subject. But if you link to websites that having nothing to do with teddy bears, then it will actually hurt your ranking. Google, MSN do this to prevent people from linking there site with hundreds of others and then unfairly ranking the highest.

* I usually get paid for this information, but for this board it is free! bear_original

Here are some tips:
1. Do NOT use frames when creating your site. If you do not know what frames are you probably havent used them.

2. TEXT is very important to search engines, it is what they feed on. The type of TEXT is even more important. Using the work Teddy Bear is good, but you need to use reocurring words throughout the pages on your site. Your name, types of materials you use, things like this. Think, what is a specific phrase someone would type to find my site, example - "Mohair Goat". Using the word teddy bear will not help much because thousands use that. Get specific about your products.

3. Placement of text on your pages is important. Your first paragraph is the most important to search engines.

4. Always title your pages.

5. Link to other bear sites, doesn't mean link to competitors but places like teddy-bears.org! bear_original Also, you need those sites to link to you. If knowone links to you then the search engines think you are irrelevent, and we know any teddy bear artist is anything but that!

---- TO BUMKIN BEARS: I did a text on your about page, the word stuffed and teddy bear is on some of the pages. These words should be on every page. Maybe consider the word artist bear as well.  I have noticed on Teddy-Bears.Org that many people  do city/country specific searches. Try putting that information on your pages. What you can do is create a footer at the bottom of every page where you COPYRIGHT should be (nudge, nudge), and have something like "Bumkin Bears, Stuffed Teddy Bears Born in Belgium" and then your COPYRIGHT (nudge, nude again)! I know the slogan thing I wrote is a little stale, but many important KEYWORDS are in that sentence.

Hope this helps you.

See this for some more info
--------------------------------
1. http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/4.html
2. http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html

One last thing, once you make these changes, give the search engines a month or so to update. Then see how you rank. You need to check the log files on your site and see if the activity has increased. You want to be in MSN, Google and Yahoo. The three most important. You get in those three, you will end uo in the others over time.

Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks heaps for all your help - I'll check my site out tonight. 

Catherine

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

According to my stat counter info, I get a lot of site traffic though, yes, visitors to TEDDY TALK.  Be sure to have a functional link to your website under your Avatar, where it will read "Website"... and also, as part of your signature.  Just like Catherine!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

That's a good idea Shelli!  And one that's right in front of our noses (literally!).  Thanks for reminding me that I should have that in my signature!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL I find that I get a lot of hits from here also!

I also get hits from other artist's webpages... 

Getting no hits from certain places suprises me.. but hey that's another story :P

I seem to be getting hits from Daphne's site a lot, along iwth a few other artists!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Danni, I'm so glad to hear it. :D
I get loads of hits from Teddy Talk also!
Many from tbonnet.com as well.
None from all those 'teddy sites' I linked with!
Will check out linking with Teddy-Bears.org. Thanks for all the info, by the way1

There are a few particular artist's sites I get hits from. I also gets hits from the other boards I participate on.... BearyCheap and Edinburgh.

Speaking of teddy-bears.org links...... Where it says 'website' under your avatar the website is linked to tedd-bears.com not .org!!! Might want to fix that! bear_happy

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Speaking of links - Does anyone want me to add their link to my website?  I am ready to proceed to that portion of my website now bear_original  Let me know - just post your link and I will be working on my link page this week and weekend

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi!  A bit late jumping in here....

I get hits from Bearpile, Bears-Direct, TBonnet and Teddy Talk (the major ones)  And yes, I do get hits from other artists sites.  (Scott, I haven't forgotten you.... just need to find some time!  And I have a bunch of people on TT on my links page... but not everyone yet... still working on that too bear_original

I link to Bears-Direct and also Bears Direct top 50.  I get hits from both.

I DID notice that when I had the teddy bear organization links only on my links page... I did NOT get as many hits from them as when I have them on my home page.  So I put them back on the front page - but think I was able to place them where they did not look out of place.

I have gotten some regular collectors from Bearpile!  It does take time.  It is important to list regularly there and also to mark them adopted as soon as they are on their way to new homes.  I've had several people tell me (as they are adopting a bear of mine) that they decided not to "wait" to adopt this one because they've seen others they had liked and waited... only to find them adopted soon afterwards.

Try to remember to list regularly on eBay too.  Many collectors go there.  They may "look" for a while b4 adopting one... but evetually they will bear_original  I was away for a little while... and had to remind myself to do the same. 

Now of course there are lots of teddy bear places who offer advertising.  It's hard to choose.... but maybe after you've watched your stats for a while (I recommend using statcounter.com - thanks Shelli!) you can choose the one where you're already getting people from.

And lastly (for now LOL!)  I'm still working on the teddy bear collecting site.  Gotta do it here and there inbetween bears and teddy talk bear_laugh  But one of my plans is to create that brochure I was telling you about... that tells about collecting teddy bears and artist bears.  Well, the front cover will have something like:  Brought to you by www.TeddyBearCollecting.com and..................................   here will be a space for you to place a label with your website... or a stamp or whatever.

The brochure (when it is finished) will be available for free download via Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Then you can print them out, put your label on it, pass them out and spread the word about teddy bear collecting, artist bears..and YOUR artist bears and website bear_original

Whew... that's it for now... going to check out a few more posts and then have to get to making bears bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Ooopps!!

Forgot to say Thank you Scott!  For all those great tips!  (printed out and filed!!)

Yes, I had heard about that problem with search engines and frames.  When I added my e-store - it has frames.  And yes, I noticed a drop in hits from search engines bear_sad 

That e-store DOES offer a non-frames version, but it is more complicated than I want to get into.  So I have switched almost all the rest of my site back to my regular non-frames pages... and just leave the "bears for adoption" in the store area.

I did not realize I did teddy-bears.com instead of teddy-bears.org, oops, thanks for pointing that out. Do not let my good advice be in vein, get those sites updated, get good rankings and sell more bears! bear_original

Board footer