Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi All,
I would like your input on how you sew in the horse hair for whiskers.  I just finished a cat and need to add whiskers. 
Thanks,
Donna

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The method I've used is to thread a fairly long needle with the hair (no knot) and push the needle through the face where you want the whisker to be, leaving a thread hanging on both sides.  Then put a SMALL dot of clear glue at each point where the whisker enters the fur so it will be held in place.  Hope that makes sense.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm reluctant to say any more. I'm sure you are all going to get sick of my name. But.....
I attach me whiskers as Sueann says if The face is plucked, shaved& felted.  But when the face is left hairy I bunch my whiskers in say groups of 3 or 4. Once glued in place then they can be spread out a bit. It's less risk of glue spill when dealing with more hair.  And if there is anything than can be done to a bear to ruin it. I have done it:(:rolleyes:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I do it like Sue Ann....after you pull the whisker in...I put a tiny dot of glue on a pin or a needle and then put the dot  at the base of that whisker..then pull the whisker in a tiny bit that will " drag" the glue into the cat or mouse  muzzle.
I use either Beacons Fabric Tack or Super Gel glue....they both dry clear.

Of the 2 glues I prefer Super Gel glue...Beacons is great glue but has the tendency to make those " strings " when you are pulling away from the container with your dot which drives me nuts when I am doing picky work.
I like the Super GEL Glue better than its other kind which is more liquid ....Gel stays put better than liquid.

If I happen to make a mess somewhere with the glue, use a Q tip and nail polish remover to get off both glues...do it right away, the sooner the better...as both glues are very fast drying................ Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh What a great idea!

First we get instructions on what to do . . .

Then we get instructions on what to do if we screw up!

I like this format a lot bear_laugh

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

He,he....many of us bear makers that have been around for a lobg while have screwed up plenty...that's where we get our good tips from ...LOL... Winney

Board footer