Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Quick question..

"What is the corect way to  measure a bear that stands on all fours"

I.e. Polar bear

Thank you bear_flower

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Well, I'd mesure from feet to shoulder and then higest point of head to bottom of the feet.

That's how we mesure cats... lol

Richy~

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

This point has always been a 'craw-sticker; to me!!!

I feel that they should be measured using the same touch-points as any other standing bear: top/center of the head to the sole of the feet. And that a tape measure should be in one image to prove this point!
It's absolutely ridiculous to measure from the tip of the nose, over the bear's back/fanny and down to its soles. That's adding extra length into a realistic bear that I struggled very hard to keep smaller than 3" long x 2" tall. It also puts it into the next larger sized bear category and we all know that the larger the bear, the more room you have for details.

It's unfair to group my bear that's 3" long (according to the way that promotors - shows/comps - measure) in with bears that're 6" long - they've got twice the space to create details...

I feel that the tape measure should begin in the center of the top of thje head, stretch down to the hinged hip area of the back leg and then to the bottom of the soles. That is exactly how a standing bear is measured and how the all-4s bears would also be measured if positioned the same, standing.

Thx for letting me blow off steam and air a pet peeve I've had for 17 years!!!!!
Bobbie, feelin' better now

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Sounds really silly  to me too... How silly, my poor polar bear is going to be "wiggling" all around to get the right measurements.  But needless to say.. I will do it right.

I just measured him ....O'h dear in that case it would make him 21 inches long...  My average bears only measure 9 1/2 inches tall.  That would make him over double...  Good job he's not a real one... Grr!!!

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

I'm probably all wrong on this, but I've always thought that anything on four legs is measured from the shoulder/withers  down to the bottom of the front foot ....ie ...dogs, horses, cows.   

I guess bears are measure differently??

Hugs,

Wanda

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Wanda, how I WISH that was the standard way to measure: BOTH a sole-to-shoulder/hump AND a top-of-head to 'bottom'/rear side! These are the realistic-looking bears. Unfortunately, there's never been a standardized method.... tho bears on all 4s have been around since the beginning.

And then there's seated bears: both teddy-style and realistic. Both types need different ways to measure. We just do the best we can.

Board footer