Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I am looking forward to making a bear for the Progeria charity, thing is can you help over the child friendly aspect?

I know you have to use safety joints and eyes, but can I stuff with plastic beads? I think I can because of beanies but am not sure.
Also any ideas on the eyes as the plastic ones are not so nice.

Any help would be appreciated as it is such a long time since I made a child friendly bear.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Amanda, I am just guessing here, but I think if you put your plastic pellets in a seperate pouch that is enclosed inside the bear it is considered child friendly.

Someone else may know better.  I don't think I will put any in mine, just in case!  Never took a beanie apart to see, but I am sure they are not just floating around in their on their own.:/

nanc.....

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Millie of Potters House Bears is donating a bear too Amanda and she says she's made child friendly bears before so she's the one to ask i think - i know that plastic eyes are'nt as nice but when you are a kid you just don't notice things like that.
Besides your bears are so cute plastic eyes are'nt going to detract from it all bear_happy

Penny  - your ever grateful beary mate bear_tongue

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

If these bears are going to certain children and you know the age is over three years then it is not an issue.  The safety issue is the swallowing of small parts and most children over three are not doing much chewing on teddy bears.
Donna

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

I agree with Penny about plastic eyes. Children won't notice that differences for sure since I know some adults do not care what kind of eyes the bears has. killtard.gif

I'm doing a bear as a the present for my younger brother's girlfriend. And I used clear hand-painted plastic eyes. Believe me they turned out looking great! Since I'm the only one who knows the secret;) I'm sure his girlfriend will be happy.
Amanda, your bears are amazing and plastic eyes will not ruin the look. I wouldn't use plastic beads if the toy is going to be a friend of 1-4 years old child. I had some toys with beans and they intend to fall out when my daughter played with them too hard. But still I agree if you put it in a bag I guess it will be fine. But myself I don't like the feel of beads in the bag. 

Hugs, Julia

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have made child safe bears (for newborns) and I did not stuff them with pellets.  However, I believe they can be used if they are secured inside of another pouch.  I think that besides the swallowing of small parts, there is also the liability issue.  If your bear is being donated, you don't know who will get it.  I don't think that I will use pellets for this one.  I realize that most of us adults like a heavier bear, but a small child probably likes something they can cuddle with.  As a matter of fact, I made a bear for a friend's grandson one Christmas.  Last year I seen this boy and he told me that the bear I made was his best cuddling bear.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Plastic safety eyes do leave a lot to be desired but I've found that a bit of needle sculpting around them to give the head/muzzle contour helps and if you use the kind that have holes in the shafts you could put thread through and pull them in like you would glass eyes. The threads would have to come out the neck opening or an opening in the head. They are very young children and will not be anywhere near as critical as we are! bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I found out that some synthetics backing is loosely knit...and when you make an eye hole for the snap together safety eye that later on the eye can actually come out as the knit hole spreads !  Yikes !
So...what I do to stop this is ....first fray check the hole real well...in fact I fray check the entire eye area.... on the back on the  knit side then turn the part right side out, make the eye hole and fray check it. Let this dry.
Use a round piece of LEATHER to put behind the eye for extra strength...and that should do it .  ....Winney

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks everyone. Its the thought of my bear going to the ball, I want it to be Prince Charming not one of the ugly sisters!:lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh I've got some safety joints and some really nice black safety eyes.

I'm not planning to use pellets or any other kind of weighting--too risky, and the bear's going to be substantial enough at 20 inches or more!

Does anyone know how to give plastic eyes a little more 'shine'?

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh I seem to be talking to myself here :lol:

What about waxed noses? OK for children?

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I don't see why a waxed nose would be a problem.  Don't quote me on this because I haven't done them for a child, but I don't think it would be harmful.  Maybe a bit nasty if they chew on them.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Thanks, Millie!

I think you're right--one bite and they'd never try it again!

Eileen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I'm told as a youngster that I ate the candles off my birthday cake.(hopefully it was only my 2nd or 3rd one!)...but I am still alive and well....although I seem to have blocked the memory from my mind..so chances are they tasted awful!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin  Hayley, I'll take that as a green light!

Eileen

Board footer