Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm having my occasional pity party today...I've been trying to read a little at a time to at least feel like I'm keeping up whether I post or not.  I just read the thread regarding hang tags...and it's put me over the edge....:(  Listing your stuffing type, laminate or no laminate, logos, business cards, websites, banner links...AUGH!!!  And the stuff with poor Nance and I wonder if it's all worth the trouble.

All I really wanna do is make cute little bears that make someone else smile...

Okay...if I drank anymore I'd be pouring myself into a beer...does someone want to do that for me this day?

Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Shantell

Hang in there Sweetie-  it really will al come together.  Meanwhile be nice to yourself.  Look at your accomplishments for the past year.  Yep!  Pretty astounding Huh? 

So sit back with your favorite cuppa-and allow yourself the time you need to heal.  And allow yourself to ENJOY the healing process. 

Enjoy?

Yes.  Feel joy that your eye will be better and your sight will improve.  Feel joy that you live in a society that can provide you this surgery.  Feel joy everytime someone does something for you so that you don't have to, because they are doing it out love for you,

As for the hang tags and laminating and all the rest.....one baby bear step at a time......

Gollyhugs

Dilu

PS pity parties are allowed when you have just had surgery- ;)

bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm  Oh Boy, Shantell,

Do I ever have days like those!

I'm slowly but surely trying to go professional, but there's so much to consider, beyond making bears, that it often seems overwhelming. Even without stories about creepy buyers and nasty emails.

There's so much to learn and take care of! I'm about 20% along on about 60% of the stuff I've got to do.

So my plan is to sit down this evening with a tall glass of wine and make a list of priorities. One way or the other, it works. Either I get my life in order, or I'm too fumed to care! :lol:

Eileen

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Shantell, I have so many days like that, I cannot tell you...and don't even give 'poor Nance' another thought!!!

Take it from the top...what is important?  Putting a happy little face on your bear.  That is all that is really important.
If you had no hang tags, if you had no laminate (haven't read that post), or website, or logo, or banner ....or anything but a happy face on your bear...you know what!  THAT bear would sell!!

Without all the extra stuff...all by himself.  That is all it really takes because that is really what collectors are looking for, somebeary that touches their heart.
Hold you glass up to your bear with a 'salute' and tell that bear..."You know what kiddo, you got what it takes"
:lol::lol::lol:

SALUTE!!!!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell, hang in there.  I too get overwhelmed when I read some of the posts.  It seems like it so complicated when all you want to do is make bears.  The others are right.......just give it time.  I'm still learning and trying to get things going.  As Dilu said.....baby steps.   

It is so nice to have bear friends here who care and can offer support when we feel down !

Keep your chin up and a smile on your face !

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

smile_often.jpgyou need to laugh alot...feels so good...seeee it's working!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website
rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ditto Nanc, I love the humour.

Hang in there girls. bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big, huge, gigantic, gargantuan, godzilla hugs!!!!!

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Hi Shantell,
I'm new to the bear making world so I don't have much advice on anything. One thing that helped me was reading everyones post. Then I tried lots of different ways to make all the little things. Nothing has to be a certain way, just put your own twist on it & it'll come together in time. One thing I know for sure the little bear on you avatar is soo adorable & I would love to adopt her if she's available. No matter what you decide with all the other stuff don't give up on your bear making. Designing the bears was the hardest part for me. It looks like you have that figured out so your doing great.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Shantell, take things step by step.  Remember - Rome wasn't built in a day!

Things take time - just do it step by step, and take a deap breath, and relax!

Danni

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks so much for cheering me up...and you have...everyone is so wonderful.  I'm just feeling as I said overwhelmed with several things...eyes, bears, etc.  My friend who flew in from Arizona to be my chauffer has changed her flight home and is staying an extra day because I still can't see well enough to drive to my doctor appointments (which are often).  I'm just very independent and having to rely on others is kind of a scarry thing for me.  I'll get over myself... bear_original  Usually when I'm feeling like this I dive into some creative project whether it's bears, quilting, gardening, ripping my house apart cleaning or what not...but I can't do that right now so I'm a bit stir crazy.

Sandy, my little avatar bear has already found a new home on the East Coast.  She arrived to her new mommy yesterday I believe.  She was the first bear I sold and I'm very excited about it...my timing on selling her however wasn't all that great as I really wasn't prepared to let her go.  I've since sold another...so I'm on my way.

I'll get it all together...

Shantell

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh:D Way to go, Shantell!! bear_laugh:D

Eileen

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I just got some really nice safety eyes, got home and my husband is in a mood as I have made him late for the appointment he did'nt tell me about! Then I have paperwork to do, job later, ahh! I've got http code going around my head as I have been trying to get the free ebay templates customised.
I need to take one thing at a time, so I will finish my Gala bear then stop. Thanks for the simple idea of writing a list and starting at the top. I think my first priority will be a good hang tag with a colour scheme and design which will then be followed up later in auction templates and the rest.
So tags and design first, the rest can wait!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
nanc*e*bears wrote:

Putting a happy little face on your bear.  That is all that is really important.
If you had no hang tags, if you had no laminate (haven't read that post), or website, or logo, or banner ....or anything but a happy face on your bear...you know what!  THAT bear would sell!!

I gotta agree with Nancy on this one for sure... all the other stuff comes in time.... there's still so much I have to do too!  But that little face... that's what speaks, that's what says it all!  You are well on your way love!  Your bears are so sweet!
Smile!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Now that's what I call a priority list! bear_laugh

Actually (blush) I'm feeling a bit less stressed since I realized that I'd forgotton completely about the month of October! I've got more than a month between now and November.

Is month-dropout a common symptom of stress, I wonder?

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Wanna hear something REALLY wierd Eileen???? I did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago... I have a charity bear due mid-November, and I'm thinking that Cara would have to be my last mini bear before I start working on the big mohair bear for charity.... then several days later, I realized that I had completely skipped over the month of October in my mind!  Now I have 31 extra days that I didn't know I had before!  Absolutely a case of stealing time! I don't know if it's cause by stress or not.... but to me it felt like finding a $20.00 bill in your winter coat the first time you wear it!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

ellen ontario, canada

oyyyyy!  you got it bad Eileen.  :lol:
i've dropped days before but not a whole month!
you need a bear hug - grab one or 7, quick!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm Hooboy!  bear_ermm

Thanks, dear things. I can't help wondering what else I've forgotten. Must not go out today without checking to make sure that I'm dressed . . .

Eileen

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Shantell,
Don't worry do what ever makes you happy!
your aviator bear is lovely, bear_laugh there was no doubt he would be adopted!
hugs Kerren

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh Shantell ((hugs)) Little by little you will get there....there is no rush.  I've been so sick for so long and slowly after 5yrs have gotten this far...and it is not really far since I've only just sold my 12th bear!  Not from lack of interest, but lack of availability due to me :(
It will come in time...and you learn as you go along too and make improvements, so even when you think you've got everything done, I bet you in 6 mths time you will have new ideas :P
Have fun with it and take it all as it comes...I do and its the only way :)
big hug
sarah

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Shantell, that is is really neat that you have sold your Avatar Bear and another.
Onwards and upwards.

Hugs
Carolyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Shantell congratulations about your avatar bear !! She is really cute and
I wanted to hug her too. :P

Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh:D:D Still basking in my whole extra month! How about you, Kim?

All I ever find in my winter coat pockets are old tissues and doggie bags. My hubby once put on his overcoat for the first time that season and found that one of the cats had stashed a dead & headless mouse in the pocket.

Thanks for the horse-laugh, Nance :lol:

Eileen

Board footer