Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm truly hoping no one was harmed from TT in this one http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070505/ts … hertornado

I've lived in Tornado Alley most of my life, and I have to say, this year has been some of the most dramatic ones of all  bear_sad  bear_shocked   The storm chasers that caught it on film say it was a mile wide....but to me the really scary part was that the tornado whipped down and was doing damage to even the underground shelters!

I believe the Weather Forecasters were warning people in Nebraska that this stormfront could still spawn yet others....in fact there's a huge swath that's under tornado warnings just now.  Please, if you're in the path of these, stay safe, and seek shelter  :hug: !!!! 

Never underestimate Mother Nature on a rampage  bear_ermm

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my God! I just saw the devestation on TV! I am truly sorry for those who had to experience this tragedy. Bless them all. Our thought s and prayers are with them.

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

How terrible, god bless all the folks caught us in this dredful storm, what a tragedy.

Hugs Jane.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

I saw it on the news last night - the devastation is so immense.  Its unbelievable.  Such a tragedy.  I hope no one on TT is affected. :hug:

puca bears puca bears

Yes - we saw it here too, on last night's news - a scene of UTTER devastation- I hope everyone here is O.k. - no.... I hope EVERYONE is O.K. - I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like
big huggies
Maria bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Eliza, how are you? Do you live in the path of this storm. I thought about you as we saw the pictures on the evening news. Hope your and all who experienced this scary event are okay.

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Marlys,

Thank you so much for being concerned. We actually live a couple hundred miles away and so were unaffected...thank God! So scary! It wiped out the whole town! My heart goes out to them. This is just devastating....and it scares me that it could have happened where I live....just another reason why I'm anxious to move out of Kansas next month. This is just the beginning of tornado season! Last year my husband and I were outside walking our dog when a tornado blew in and we had to run half a mile home...collapse on the floor out of breath and see big chunks of our apartment roof tore off from the view of our patio clear glass door. That was scary as hell....cause we had just barely missed getting blown away ourselves...and the air raid sirens were going off everywhere. I'm already on a lot of medication for anxiety! Can't handle tornadoes!

My nerves are on edge now. Hope no more tornadoes show up. I'm scared to death of them.
And my prayers are with all those folks who lost their home and business and their loved ones who were killed. I think the tally so far is 9.  bear_cry  Please everyone remember those people in your prayers.

-Eliza

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

So glad you're safe, Eliza. The town did look devastated, totally gone. And those poor people must be in shock.

How scary that you have experienced a tornado before. I would be terrified. And the hurricanes on the Gulf and east coast are another thing I'd never want to experience. Hopefully, you won't have to go through that again before you move.

SillyBear Posts: 15

This was so sad

burlisonbears wrote:

...and the air raid sirens were going off everywhere. I'm already on a lot of medication for anxiety! Can't handle tornadoes!

My nerves are on edge now. Hope no more tornadoes show up. I'm scared to death of them.

-Eliza

:hug: I'm so so sorry this has happened to you in the past...it is VERY scary when the tornadoes hit...and yes, they do sound like a freight train coming through, only much louder.  I've been 'raised up' with them, so I don't really find them that unhinging ~ something to keep an eye out for, and highly respect, yes, but thankfully not that nervewracking.  I hope you can find your happy place soon, though  :hug:   I hate moving, but sometimes its really sooo much better, and happier once the moving's over with. 

Looks like it will be a long time for these folks to get back onto their feet again.  I'll certainly be keeping them in my thoughts  :hug:

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Thank you Debbie.
Hopefully we'll get through these next six weeks without tornadoes coming through our town! Then we're moving on to Massachusetts. We already have an apartment secured, and we're very excited about the move.

When we moved from Tennessee to Kansas a couple years ago...everyone kept telling us we would have many more tornadoes here than what we were used to just in TN. That one that wiped out that town was like half a mile wide and tore a path a mile and a half long!! There's no way anyone could get out of the path! That's got to be unusual...but I haven't lived here long enough to know...and frankly, I don't want to stay here any longer to find out! In the short time we've been here we've already experienced a tornado and also some really bad high wind storms.

-Eliza

Oddly one of the absolute worst tornadoes to hit was in Tennessee   bear_sad   So you're not really going from bad to worse, just a bit of a change of scenery is all. 

I'm truly glad to hear you've got your move all planned.  Manhattan KS was fun if I remember right.  I think several of the girls I used to work with at Girl Scout Camp came from there.....and they all loved it!   bear_wub   Fingers crossed for a smooth transition  :hug:

Stellajella Wien

I HOPE THAT NOBODY AND NO ANIMAL WILL BE HURT... but I´m naive, I know, so I pray, that it won´t come to the worst!!!!!

Gaby bear_flower

SillyBear Posts: 15

I saw video of the aftermath and it was so sad to see, a whole town gone. I live where there aren't any tornados so I can't imagine what it must be like.

Stellajella wrote:

I HOPE THAT NOBODY AND NO ANIMAL WILL BE HURT... but I´m naive, I know, so I pray, that it won´t come to the worst!!!!!

Gaby bear_flower

All I can say is that when a tornado hits, well, you dig a hole in the ground, or dive underground and hope for the best.  If you get killed, from what I've seen human or animal, its usually a very quick kill indeed.  I know that sounds harsh, but frankly when I go, I don't want to see it coming either. 

Oh, and Aleta...I saw video footage when I lived in Lincoln City Oregon, of a water spout.  Do you know Cascade Head?  When you go to the usual place in Oct for the Teddy bear convention and look north ~ that's Cascade Head.  Just to the north of the Head is Neskowin.  Someone took video footage of a water spout that towered ABOVE the Head  bear_shocked !!!  I've seen some wild things in my life, but nothing like that!  We stopped at a friends house in LC to replay the video over and over.....talk about impressive! 

Thankfully Mother Nature usually smiles on us and gives us lovely things like flowers instead  bear_flower   .....in fact, I'm busy watching two butterflies whirling outside my kitchen window as I type...

Board footer