Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

loopylou Posts: 35

HI there,

Just woundering, where do you sell you're bears, and which has been the most successful? also where do you advertise?
I just sell by word of mouth and am setting up a website. but am woundering wether that will be enough.

Louise

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Louise!

I started in 1999 by selling on eBay.  As that got going, I set up a website.  Every time someone would win an auction, I asked if they wanted to be put on my mailing list.  I also have a mailing list sign up on my About Me page on eBay.

There are many other online sites out there too....  just try some as your budget allows and see. 

Definitely post your new "kids" here on the board in the Teddy Bears & Other Friends section....

If you are part of ANY board... even non-teddy bear boards... be sure to include a link to your website in your signature.

Are there any bear shows in your area?  I have bought many bears via their websites after seeing them at a show (and was out of money LOL!)  The ones I usually bought from had a photo of a bear on their business card... it helped me to remember better what their particular bears look like.

I'm sure others will pop in to give more suggestions... but it's time for me to take care of my whippet Girl bear_original

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Bid4bears is great  www.bid4bears.com
ebay used to be, not so great anymore
and I have seen some artists do extremely well on websites
and I think bear shows are a wonderful place to network with other artists

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Louise,

I've been selling bears since 2003 and I've sold the majority of them on ebay.  I'm thinking of moving over to Bid4Bears now though.  I've only sold a couple on my website.

Try joining some yahoo groups that are specifically for advertising bears - I find these groups great to get the word out and get people visiting your auctions etc....  Having a mailing list is important too.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm not so sure any one place is better than another.
What works for one person may not work for another.
What ever method you choose to try I think it helps to be consistent.

If you decide to list on eBay or another auction site, list a bear a week, be sure you always have something listed, stay in the public's eye, let them get to know you, see that you aren't a fly-by-night artist, let them see feedback as you do begin to sell. Many internet bear collectors need to warm up to you and your bears.

If you choose to sell through your website only you'll want to get your web address 'out there'.... print business cards, swap links with not only other bear artists but anyone you know with a website. Perhaps have a banner ad here on TT.

If you choose to do shows you'll likely need to do a few to get in the public eye, give collectors a chance to get to know you and your work. You may very well gain new collectors at a show who will then buy from your website once they know the quality of your work first-hand.

Regardless of where you sell, it does take patience and perserverance.

It sounds like you are just starting out so the sky is the limit! Try out different things, see what works best for you, your budget, time, etc.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I sold some of mine on ebay. Then I started a blog and people were asking for bears. So I decided to link my blog to etsy and sell from there. It's not a bidding format, just a store-front. I have been successful with my blog so I have not sold on ebay for awhile. I also started a mailing list and give them the opportunity to buy before I list the bear on etsy.

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I agree with what everyone has said here,  I have to say I don't think it's smart to put all your eggs in one basket, as they say. try a little of eveything, then go heavy on the area that is working. I am going to try and list on Bid4bears on a pretty regular basis, even after the campaign is over, I REALLY REALLY want it to do well.  I just think it would be so nice to have it be the premiere place to buy artists bears.  The ad Nancy ran was great , just think how many people saw it and it was to a target audience.

loopylou Posts: 35

Thanks for all your advice guys,  bear_thumb

You have got me thinking now of all the places i could sell, or at least show my face or my bear faces.  bear_original
A mailing list sounds a great idea too.

Louise

Board footer