Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

This isn't for me....or for anyone I know personally...but a friend of my 14 year old son was killed in an accident on Saturday and he's taking it rather hard.  She was hit by a car in a sidewalk and pronounced dead at the hospital...it appears she ran out into the street and didn't see the car coming.   The driver was also a young girl.

So if you could just say a little healing prayer today for both families...and for my son, Taylor.  He's wanting to attend the funeral but it's in the middle of the day during school...and on a football game day (he plays a starting position).  I'm hoping the coaches will bend the rules and let the kids attend and be allowed to play in the game also.

I told Taylor it was his choice...

Life is so precious...always remember to hug those you love and tell them you love them...you just never know.

Thanks...

Deb Upstate New York
shantell wrote:

So if you could just say a little healing prayer today for both families...and for my son, Taylor.

Absolutely.  What's the girl's first name?

(Also, I sent you a PM.)

Deb

Willamette Valley Oregon

My son's friend's name was Brianna....I don't know the name of the driver.

Thanks Deb...I got your PM...I'm doing better...and you made me crack up because that's so me...I do that kind of stuff all the time...they are my "senior moments."  bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh Shantell,I have a 14 year old son and I worry about him doing the same thing without thinking.My heart is aching for Brianna's family ,the family of the poor girl that hit her and for you and your son.I just can't imagine that the school or coaches could object to him attending the funeral.Where I live if something like this happens,they cancel school for the children to attend if they feel up to it.Did they attend the same school?

I will be saying heartfelt prayers.I am going to start a list,I pray at least once a day but since I joined the board I have found so many more reasons to pray.Hugs and blessings,Shari.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

That is such a hard age at which to have to face the death of a classmate. It's also so hard for the family of such a young person. I'm not saying it's easier at a different age but with all those hormones kids get really affected by such a tragedy.

My nephew and a couple of his friends just got their driver's licenses over the summer. The day before school started one of those friends was killed in a car accident (not his fault). My nephew has no interest in driving now. I'm sure he'll come around in time but he was hit hard with reality.

I'll say a prayer for Briana's family, the driver and her family and Taylor and your family.

Hugs,
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm thinking of all concerned in this awful tragedy, Shantell.  Hope your son will eventually have peace and be comforted.  Hugs,

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh I'm so sorry Shantell.... prayers your way...

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

It's amazing just how fragile life is.... how awful to have to learn this at such a young age.  Big Hugs and prayers...
Kim Basta

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantell-Brianna and your son and her family and all the people she touched in life are in our prayers here, tonight.

Yes, The gollies say their prayers before bedtime.

bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

How awful...prayers are  coming your way... to you all .

Yes, Kids in that age group are especially sensitive with the emotions...they dont forget it for the rest of their lives.
I remember when my boys were that age ..all three boys  had something similar like that happen to one of their friends..very sad.... Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks so much everyone.  I didn't know this girl or her family and cannot even begin to imagine the pain and feeling of grief.  Unfortunately this is not the first friend one of my children has lost in a tragic accident.  My daughter who is now 18 lost her very best friend when she was in the 3rd grade.  She wrote a poem and it was read at her friends funeral...we had no clue until the pastor started reading it outloud.  The little girl had just spent the entire weekend with us so I had gotten to know her pretty well...it was and still is beyond understanding.  I don't even try...

Oh...Taylor's coach is trying working on getting permission from the league for the kids to attend the funeral.  They have a rule if they miss a class excused or not they can't play.  I'm hoping an exception can be made in this situation.

Shantell

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

What a tragedy. It's so awful when young children dies. i'm sorry your son lost one of his friend it is very hard for this age face such tragedy. In any age....
I'll pray for all your families involved this awful incindent.

Hugs, and prays, Julia

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Shantell, I do feel for your son Taylor and for Briannas family and the driver of the car - what a terrible tragedy.
I have a 14 year old son Marcel and they are so precious.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all and may you find comfort knowing that
other are thinking of you at this very sad time.

Hugs
Carolyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Shantell...this is so sad.
I am so sorry, how awful to see young child die in accident. ...
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Shantell,

I'm so sorry for your son and Brianna's family, not to mention the young driver's family. My daughters' high school lost half a dozen lovely kids to accidents over a period of eight years, and it was always a very hard time for the whole community. I hope your son's coach lets the boys attend the funeral.

I know for sure that it's a great comfort to the family to see their child's friends there. Mine went to these funerals whether they knew the victim personally or not. It wasn't easy for them, but the families were grateful and the kids felt less stressed and helpless, knowing they'd done something.

Kids of your son's age are especially prone to depression and anxiety disorders--it's their adolescent brains and bodies. A Montreal researcher has done brain scans that show the effect of a merely sad experience on a teenaged brain--it's identical to the effect of a major depressive episode on an adult brain. What your son is going through is way more than sad.

So keep an eye on him, hear?

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

These families are in my prayers.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Shantell, I just got the chance to read this post.
I will certainly put all families on my prayer list and your son as well.
We have some very dear friends in Missouri, who last year lost their 17 year old son.  They had just purchased him his first car, which he had wanted since he was 16.  He was killed in that car and they had not even made a payment it on it yet...it was that soon.  This was their 2nd son to lo0ose.
No matter how you lose a child, it has to be just the most horrific pain imaginable.
I can't imagine the coach not letting others go to the funeral...so i hope that turned out.
Nanc.......

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell, my heart and prayers go out to your son , Brianna's family and the driver.  Such a sad, sad tragedy !

clare14 Country Bears
England

What a sad time for you all, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, take care.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Shantell - i shall light a candle for your sons friend and for Taylor too.

I shan't forget you either Shantell, it can't be easy for you.

Time will help the healing, it always does

God Bless

Penny bear_original

Board footer