Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone,

I have an idea for a new bear, and I want his arm flexible so he can wrap it around and hold something.  I've never used armature before.  What do you use?  The bear will probably be around 5 inches tall.  I've heard of using chenille stems before, but I'm not sure how that is done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  bear_original

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

tools_crimpringsopt.jpgHiya Catherine!
I use chenille stems (pipe cleaners). I make the shape of the arm in the wire and slip it into the arm before I stuff it. A lot of people like to use these little crimp rings. If you poke the wire into it and then slip the hole over the cotterpin, it anchors the wire.
It's a little fiddly stuffing with that wire in there, but not too bad.
Voilá - bendy arms!

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks so much Stephanie!  Using those crimp rings looks like the way to go I think.  I'm guessing you sell this through your website?  I'll head on over and take a look  bear_original

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I have used a copper wire that seems to be available in most hardware shops.  It is extremely flexible and holds it's position really well.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - I sold a booklet in the mid 90s with sets of these crimp rings in them along w/the matching very tiny T-cotter pins.
Everyone's found similar substitutes now. You do have to check that the tops of your cotter pins don't slide through the holes. I have literally thousands of them left and would be happy to send some to anyone who sends me a SASE - about $1 postage.

511 Berkley  Elmhurst  IL  60126

I have the teeny tiny T cotters but will be putting those on eBay - I had to look to long & hard for these! they're from England and are the smallest I've ever seen. Edinburgh's W8 washer is perfect for them.

Copper & aluminum are some of the softest wires (electrician DH): I'd use (stronger hold) floral wire doubled or the chenilles shown here and stuff a bit more lightly so there's some bending room in the limb.

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I had just decided I wanted to do the same to the legs of a small critter I am designing. I popped in to see if anyone had any suggestions and Voila---my answer. Thanks.
Bobbie-I just might send you that SASE.
Nancy D

Board footer