Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

K Pawz Guest

I am floored, and can't believe this, I just recieved this email and I am not sure how to take it....a jealous artists????

Hi Krista, your cat is very cute, but I wonder why you well known artists have to do cats now that a couple people have started doing them and are finding a niche. Why do well known artists have to jump in on it. I hope the collectors will notice that you are just following suit and creating not what you want, but what is selling right now!!! You have a name for yourself so have no problem selling your adorable dogs, why on earth would you want to take some of the potential customers away from others???? Your cat is sweet, but I would leave the realistic cats to the expert Karen Lyons. I would say keep up with your absolutely adorable dogs.

Hugs,
Krista

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

WWHHHHHAAAATTTTT!!!!!!??????
I cannot believe that someone would send you this message.  I know it must be hard, but ignore it!!!!!  It is meaningless.  Your cats are beautiful, and so clearly your style.  Other people make dogs...does that mean you shouldn't be making those either!!???  How ridiculous. 
I do LOVE Karen Lyon's cats, but her cats and your cats have VERY different looks to them.  You each clearly have your own styles.  To me, your cats look like a natural extension of your dogs.  We all have to change, develop and try new things, otherwise our creations would go stale and we would get bored. 
Please, please continue to make your beautiful cats - I always look forward to seeing what you will think of next!!!! :hug:  :hug:

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Wow, some people need to mind their own business..  I've been making cats since the 90's.. but have listed one on ebay recently because I happend to have one done. Am I going to stop making cats because someone else makes them... no.. am I going to stop trying out new critters because someone else happend to make one before me.. of course not.
I don't really understand that email Krista.... why would someone really care what an artist makes?
Hugs!!
Melanie

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

HA!  Take it from me.....sad people grow brass ones when they're sitting all alone behind a keyboard.  Tell "dear abby" thank you for her input and then forget about it bear_tongue  bear_grin  If we all followed this saccharine laced (bitter after taste more than it is sweet) advice no one would ever make a bear, dog or cat again...it's all been done.

:hug:  :hug:
Double hugs for you!!
~Chrissi

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

What a load of rubbish!!!!!!  bear_angry  Your kitten is just adorable and I am sensing a large amount of the green eyed monster playing apart of this pathetic email.  This email should be sent to the trash were it belongs!!!!  Please Krista just read all the responses under your picture here on TT and you will know the true reaction to Simon which is LOVE LOVE LOVE him !!!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   

BIG hugs Ali x

P.S. As a newbie maker, I still view Ebay with the eyes of a collector (although I don't now have the money) and I look for something that speaks to me - not whom it is by and whether they have changed from creating dogs to cats etc - so this person does not know diddy!!!!!

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I can't believe it but I got the same email...
I posted it under "another rude email"

Unbelieveable!

~Kathy Myers

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I just responded to this letter but on Kathy's post! Is this person a collector...another artist?

I can't believe another artist or a collector could be so narrow minded to think that you get to a point where you're good enough and then just turn off your creativity. That's when an artist's work would suffer, when they thought they were good enough and had nothing else to try, or to learn or to experience. 

And what'd she do...create a form letter and merge email addresses. It's the same letter! Wonder how many others got her e-mail.

We need a little "thumbs down" smiley for posts like this.

majdle Posts: 130
Website

IGNORE IT!! It´s free country..and besides that - it isn´t about making dogs or cats or bears or whatever...it´s about the artist´s soul that the work is reflecting. The person who wrote it just didn´t get it.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Sorry to pop in and run out again, but I'm afraid I don't have much time to chat on TT these days.  But wanted to say two important things...

I am sorry, Krista and Kathy, that you both received such a silly email!

#1. I am not the Kelly that wrote that email.  (Kathy posted the name Kelly with the email she received... unfortunately, I have had to defend myself before when another "Kelly" made stupid comments, and people confused her with me).

#2.  I received a similar negative comment about 1 1/2 years ago when I made my first cat (and so far my only cat, due to that negativity).

Nobody owns the rights to creating an animal, whatever that animal is.  No worries folks, I think you are both doing original work with your cats.

The other Kelly

K Pawz Guest

thank you so much for the support everyone...but I haven't even responded to this email, I will not be able to respond as polietly as Kathy did, so therefore I must just keep my mouth shut...I know that I am trying to find my style and I hope that my cats, and dogs are starting to become recognizable as my own....I will continue to create whatever my heart desires, and this person who seems to be very jealous can kiss my butt!!! Sounds to me like she is trying to start out creating, and nobody wants her work, so she is just trying to bring others down into the miserable world that she calls her own.

Hugs,
Krista

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Oh so sorry, Kelly, I'm going to edit out the whole name from my post. I was just a little angry when I copied the emails and I wasn't thinking.

Since I've have been a Teddy Bear Artist for 20 years I was definitely offended by her email.
Sorry, I'll edit out her entire name.
:hug:
Kathy

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Krista,

I can't believe someone would have the nerve to send that message to you...and now to Kathy of MinkBears!

I never make an animal just because I see those animals listed on ebay...I make an animal cause that's what I want to make at that time...like the mini elephant I made weeks ago. Omigosh....I've been thinking that I'd like to make a mini cat real soon...but it certainly isn't cause I've seen lots of cats on ebay. In fact, I thought there were the same amount of cats listed as always. I've been looking everyday on ebay for the past two years now...and I don't really notice an increase....?

What does it matter what animal we make? As long as it's our own style it shouldn't matter in the least! What are we just supposed to make bears and that's it!!? That would get boring if we didn't try new things and new animals. WE ARE ARTISTS!

And just so you know your cat is gorgeous and definitely your own unique style. Please don't stop making cats just due to this one person with a bad attitude.

-Eliza

K Pawz Guest

Oh sorry Kelly, I didn't even think for a second that it was you  :hug: I think it is some miserable SOB that isn't happy unless she is making someone else miserable with her!!

hugs,
Krista

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Oh, oh....... I guess we all better just quit making bears..dolls ...ATC's... ACEO... gee...uh, knitting shawls...walking, talking...etc... and every thing else..cuz I am sure somebody does them.  Hahahhaha....oh, brother...some people are just too weird for words and even for bothering thinking about.

Krista, think where this comes from...people like this are petty and just plain stupid ;.... in all honesty they do not warrant a moment of our valuable time.  Carry right on with your great creations and be proud that somebody doesn't like the fact that you are becoming well known and doing very well with them.   I would hurry and put another one ebay right away...... and say a big thankyou for the inspiration of a recent email fan named Kelly as the motivation.

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH SOMEONE HAS ESCAPED FROM A MAD CAT ASYLUM!!!
SHE BETTER GET EMAILING ANDREW LOYD WEBBER, DIDNT HE ALSO CREATE CATS?!!

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Eliza..... hey..good idea.  Maybe we should all make a cat this week!  That would be funny!~

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Im never surprised anymore at the things that happen on ebay....where do people get off writting such a letter?
I just read Kathy's post...the exact same email as you got and I completely understand Kathy's reply...way to go Kathy! You were so professional, yet got your point across.
We are ALWAYS trying to stretch our abilities as an artist and challenge ourselves. Its not copying at all. I have to say, I had been thinking of making a pig for awhile. I had already dyed the mohair and I was pondering my design and how I wanted my pattern to look. Then Michlle Lamb did a pig. Yes it was just a fluke that we both made pigs and I assure you, I did not copy her at all. Sometimes two artists just have the same idea at the same time.
I hope that you didnt let this silly letter bother you. I would simply delete it and not give it another thought!
Keep making you darling kitties!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Krista,
Same mesasage I left  for Kathy...
You do exactly what you please...It is your business...
Competition is healthy and happens in all industry.
True artists grow, change and develop.
And if you want to run a good business you have to bend with customer demand anyway....
Your cat is excellent...  Make many more...
Just as cute as all your other furies...
I'm making a cat right now...lol...
I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD TRY AND MAKE ONE...LOL...

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

Oh my god Krista!!  This woman is totally nuts!!  I would disregard everything that she has said and just chalk it up to a woman with a mental problem.  OOOOPS - was that too harsh!!

Hugs,

Julie

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Hey Bumblebearies!!
Yeah, that's hilarious! Let's all make a cat this week and list around the same time and dedicate them all to her! Hahaha!  :crackup:

Krista,

I have a couple more things to add.
Why don't you send an email where you offer this person your most recent creation...a donkey with a sign around its neck which reads "Jackass".

Or perhaps you should offer her one of those dogs of yours that she actually seems to appreciate and tell her that you have a soft sculpture female dog (Bitch) that reminds you of her.

Haha! I know, I know...I'm bad!! Tee-hee!

-Eliza  :crackup:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Omg, sounds like the very same person that sent one to Kathy, but wait.....
Oh my.....THEY referr to TWO diferent artists??????
now, which of them does she think should be making the cats?????  bear_wacko

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

You might make a note of this person's IP address as well as the email.  Some emails you can even block that particular sender.

Me personally, I wouldn't give them the time of day to respond.  I mean, honestly, are we all supposed to stop making teddy bears because someone else all ready did?? 

Your kitties come from your heart and are your own distinct style  :hug:

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I wouldn't take this to heart, it's just nonsense!  Sounds like sour grapes to me.

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

I can't believe what I'm reading here, i didn't think this sort of thing went on in the bear world  bear_angry All I can say is ignore and carry on creating exactly what you want to :dance:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_wacko Oh boy!
My name had to get dragged into this.... Krista and I are friends and have been even before Krista started creating cats and kittens! We talk all the time. I agree, EVERYONE should start creating cats. We need to create a cat collecting market  bear_thumb I know, self serving, it would help me too.
Karen
P.S. I love Krista's style of cats!

Board footer