Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I am considering trying my hand at needlefelting.  I would appreciate any suggestions for getting started.   Books etc.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Millie,
I get pretty excited when I see someone is interested in trying Needle Felting, because I love doing it so much! I started be doing a whole lot of web searching on the subject while I was waiting for my needled & wool to arrive, and already had tons of possible projects I wanted to try by the time I was able to start. I know there are some great books out there, but I don't have any of them. I just jumped in with needles poking & learned by trial & error & much help from other needle felters who I have had the privilege to meet on various forums.
I love helping anyone who is interested in needle felting, so let me know if I can be of any help :hug:
Hugs &

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Millie, by the time I got a book on it I was so much more advanced than the book. So I gave it to a niece.
I picked up all the info from here.  Because I loved needle felting faces I did Judis 'Felting Face 'Workshop.
I found that to be invaluable. It gave me huge confidence in my own abilities.
I source all my fibre and needles from FLEECEWOOD in NZ. Only because they are the best available to me.
If you are just curious and want to make a critter just to try needle felting out.  Pick up one of the little kits that has everything with instructions to make a wee bear.
Like charlotte I get excited when someone else joins the ranks of N Felter.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

So... we got to you, right?
GREAT!!
As Wendy says, go back to the beginning of the NFing Forum and most everything's already here!

I'd recommend that you get a nice medium fiber to start with, like the Romney from Wilde & Bros in Philadelphia. It works a treat for Beginners as well as those w/more experience.

They also sell on eBay (urls to follow) with very fast shipping in great colors. It's the same as their site but in 4 oz and larger batches. Send me your snail and I'll drop a few needles into the post tomorrow for you! This deserves Celebrating!

http://www.wildeyarns.com/dyed_carded_wool.htm
http://www.wildeyarns.com/history_of_wilde_yarns.htm
http://stores.ebay.com/Wilde-Yarns_W0QQ … esstQQtZkm

I have several small flock breeders that I buy directly from here in the States. All have wonderful fibers, but finer (in microns/size/thickness) than Romney. Best start with an easy one!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thanks for the links Bobbie. I only have suppliers down- under -way to recommend.  bear_thumb

suburban Chicago

Right! We gotta get Everyone involved!! How else will they appreciate us??!! LOL

Ohio

Thanks everyone.  I have my sights set on creatures other than teddy bears.  It may take me from now til doomsday to master the craft, but I think I will give it a go.  From what I understand, I should prepare myself for punctured fingers.  Hopefully, the needles will not become lethal weapons in my hands.

I do have one more question.  I eventually am going to raise angora goats again.  Will I be able to use the mohair from the goats when I have them sheared?

suburban Chicago

You sure can, though the slipperiness of mohair may take a bit more needling time than other fibers. The sheen of it will also be lost. The fiber length would preclude miniatures.
No address? Or do you already have your needles?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

You're in for a fun time!
I've finally got our local bear group interested and they are each working on either a felted face or at least felted noses.  :dance:

Marion

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I get my fiber here...and I have taken a class there too.

http://www.outbackfibers.com/

and here...

http://paradisefibers.com/

Yes, pokies are no fun, never NEVER look away while you are poking. Trust me.

Kathleen Pa

CAUTION:  needlefelting is very addictive, the good news is, the wool is alot cheaper that mohair!!  I started with a little kit from Edinbourgh too.  It has everything you need to try it and the instructions in the kit covered everything in the NF book I ordered after the kit.  You're really gonna LOVE it!!!!

Kathleen

Coldstreamwoods coldstreamwoods

Hi Millie, I'm so glad you're giving Needle Felting a whirl!

I just basically bought some wool & a needle and played around with it.  This forum is wonderful so just read through some of the posts and you'll do fine.  There are alot of beginner kits out there and the internet or even ebay is a good place to start.

1.  Always use your foam - never poke or punch while holding the piece in the air or even in your lap

2.  eyes on the project (needle felting is definitely not a craft to do while watching tv)

3.  No need to punch too hard - slow and easy

4.  As a beginner I would advise working on a larger piece nothing too small

5.  I had a horrible bout with tendinitis so I always use a support glove (purchased at a craft store)  It took a year & three injections to heal. 

6.  If you find you like the craft (and I'm sure you will) and want to stick with it you may want to consider purchasing a needle felting handle or make one yourself by smushing some polymer clay on your needle and impressing your fingers in as if you were actually holding the needle to get your finger imprints on it.  Bake and Walaaa  The Polymer clay will be permanently affixed to the needle though so keep that in mind.

7.  If you do poke yourself remember that even though the wool has been washed it certainly wouldn't hurt to wash the wound really well or even use some neosporin on it.  I don't know of anyone ever getting "sick" or an infection from a poke but hey you never know.

8.  Remember to move your piece around on the foam too.  No need to put undue stress on your hands & fingers punching in an awkward position.

Good luck & Happy Felting
Corey

Mikki Mikki, Cripple Creek Creative
Bethel, Ohio

You're going to love it...... It's so wide open...no restrictions or patterns. Just what you see in your head. I use med. coarse romney for all initial sculptings and refine w/ the siofter or more exotic wools. As long as you work on a foam block ,beginning w/ 36 gauge needles , refining w/38 & 40 star gauge needles, it will work. the best part is ...you can't make a mistake!
Have an awesome supplier for it all -Lofty Llamas ,Fine Crafts,Yarns and Wools, www.loftyllama.com.
                                               Enjoy, any way I can help...just let me know,
                                                                                 Mikki

Ohio

Thank you all for the help.  I am anxious to get started, but I have an order for a bear to get done first.  I am also working at a bit slower pace due to an issue with my elbow.  My arm was caught between a wooden gate and a crazy horse.  The arm lost.  Nothing broken, just torn and sore.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Malcolm-200-pix.jpg

Hay every one guess what I did ? I ordered supplies to needle felt !! I spent $80.00 before I was done !!! I hope I do love it !!! The supplies should come this week !!! You will all have to take me by the hand !!! Charlotte is my buddy from another forum and I know she is excited !!! I have never tried it before but have wanted to for over a year !!! So who knows what I will be making !! I want to felt on to a face but my faces are small...so I don't know !!!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Jodi,
You are so right I am very excited to have a friend who wants to try needle felting too...I love it sooo much...I will hold your hand in the whole thing...but don't poke me...ok :crackup:

Hugs &

Board footer