Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.

I wish that making teddy bears wasn't so lonely. I get feeling kinda that I am the only one for miles around that makes teddy bears... or even understands. I think I may scream at the next person who says " I made a bear the other day at a build a bear store" I need someone to slap me on the back of my head and say "get to work, Dorothy". Or at least what did you finish today? I just wish...
Dorothy

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

What did you finish today, Dorothy?  bear_whistle

You know, there may be more bear makers out there and nearer you than you think.... When I first started, I met a lady at Jo-Ann fabrics who made teds from patterns as gifts... it was strange, she was pretty nice until i told her I didn't use patterns, then she got really short with me.  bear_sad  Oh well...... lol

Kimberly W.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

You know what you need?  You need a club!  I'm in a soft cloth doll and bear club called the Potomac Poppets.  Some of us live pretty close but there are others that drive an hour just to chat face to face with like minded people, make a little project, talk about new gadgets on the market, gab about our favorite mags, you know...chit chat.  There's a message board on Crafster.org for Craft type events/happenings by Region.   Why don't you post a message that you may be looking to start a group like the one I am in?  I bet you'll be surprised at how many like minded people will jump at the chance to meet and greet!

Here's the link for California:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=30.0

Hugs,
Lisa

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I think a club would be great, Kimberly you are not that far away from me, I live outside of Anderson, we should try to get together every now and then to talk bears or go fabric hunting.  We could meet in Indy.
Hugs
Jodi

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Dorothy,

Wow there are lots of Teddy Bear makers in San Diego and surrounding area, there is even a San Diego Teddy Bear Guild  or something like that.  I can only guess that there are some of them on this list,  if your interested Dorothy I will try and get you a contact person.  Steven and I are actually coming to San Diego in December to do a speaking engagement with this group and we are teaching a Class there as well.    I'll get some information together for you if you like, always great to have someone nearby that you can get together with and have a stiching night or just to talk about bears.

Big hugs

Shane

Waterloo, Ontario

Sheesh you women are fast  :crackup:  :crackup: ,  three of you responded while I was typing my response.

hugs

Shane

Shane everytime I see that cover of yours , I smile, my youngest used to wear a hat just like that and he wore it backwards, if I can find it I'll post it to show you what I am talking about.
Hugs
Jodi

Waterloo, Ontario

HEEHEE  I'm glad you like him, if I wor my hat like that I'd wind up with funny sunburn across my forhead :crackup:  :crackup:   would love to see the picture when you find it Jodi.

hugs

Shane

0jacksonhat.jpg

Shane, see he looks like your cover bear,  doesn't he
Hugs
Jodi

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Jodi, how cute is he!

I wish that making teddy bears wasn't so lonely. I get feeling kinda that I am the only one for miles around that makes teddy bears... or even understands. I think I may scream at the next person who says " I made a bear the other day at a build a bear store" I need someone to slap me on the back of my head and say "get to work, Dorothy". Or at least what did you finish today? I just wish...
Dorothy

Dorothy, I know what ya mean. Several years ago I was telling my (former) hairdresser about my bears and she went on and on about how she loves the build a bear place. But she never really asked me about my bears. A few visits afterwards she began raving about the cutest bear she'd ever seen...blah, blah, blah...he was about 10 inches, cotton, unjointed, and she got him at the beauty supply store for FREE when she bought two shampoos!

Next time my husband went in for a haircut I made him take a bear I'd just finished for his Christmas gift exchange at his office. I was very happy with the way he turned out. He showed her, pointed out the mohair, joints, glass eyes, etc....She said, "uhhuh." Yeah, she's my former hairdresser.

I still can't get over that she was more impressed with a free cotton bear than she was with mine!

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

:clap: ..... slap(round the back of the head) get off the computer and get to work dorothy!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub

Marlys, Thanks so much, being his Mom I think he is a cutie patootie.

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

I understand what you mean Dorothy....if I didn't have Teddy Talk and a small (but really loyal) group of folks that regularly read and comment on my blogs I would probably loose what's left of my little pea brain!

I sure would like to get to see you again, any chance you'll get to do Nevada City next year? 

Take care  (oh yes,  SLAP!  now back to work!!)

Dorothy, I love to yak when I am avoiding work which is almost every day,  just PM me and I can keep you company while you help me avoid work bear_grin

Waterloo, Ontario

OH Jodi what adorable pictures, heehee he does look like our cover bear doesn't he.    We don't make many girl bears ours always seem to come out looking like boys.  Thanks for posting the pic he looks so innocent (hmmmmm  don't they all though  bear_grin ).

big hugs

Shane

Shane , thanks for the kind words concerning my little guy, he's a really good kid. I have a soft place in my heart for boys and for some reason all of my bears want to be boys too.
Hugs
Jodi

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.

I actually am almost finished with a new design. I worked on it last night, I was so worried it wouldn't turn out like the image in my head. But it is bear_happy and I am so relieved! Shane, I was a member of that club, wonderful group of ladies bear_flower 
However it takes about a half tank of gas to get there, so it is not an option right now. Though I did talk to my friend Karen Blair (she is in the club) last night on the phone. Bev I am going to be at Nevada City next year if I have to hitchhike  bear_rolleyes and I look forward so much to seeing all my friends there. I will proably do the Aug. show here in San Diego (ABC Productions). And I am going to get my blogg healthy and active.

After I typed my post yesterday I thought "oh no Dorothy what a whiner you are" But I felt whiny and down and grouchy so that was me then. I pray that I will experience less of those down times and be able to proceed with a better, more happy mind bear_original  A friend told me I am to hard on myself bear_whistle  I am. With the Grace of God I will try not to be.
Thanks friends, for your replies and care, Dorothy

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Dorothy, I was surprised to read that you were a lonely TB artist in beautiful San Diego because there are quite a few TB artists in San Diego county. But you are so right...being an artist (what ever your chosen media) is a lonely profession...which is why I enjoy checking into TT or BAO to see the latest photos of new creations or to read that another artist is having shipping problems, sewing problems, ebay problems...or something else that  I can relate to. The perfect example is when I got that rude email only to log onto TT to see that Krista got the same rude email...it's nice being able to connect to other TB artists nationally and internationally for a few minutes a day...and then I can get back to my sewing.

Dorothy, I have to tell you that I've been a TB artist for many years and it's not unusual for me "hit the wall" and think that I just can't make another bear.  In fact, I stopped making bears a couple of years ago but not for very long... :crackup: .. when I realized that after almost 20 years as a TB artist that I didn't know how to do much else for a living.... :crackup: .

I'm not in SD county but I'm not too far from you...(I''m near Disneyland).
:hug:
Kathy

Board footer