Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

AHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!   bear_wacko

Have you ever noticed that each and every time a government entity decides that they are going to "streamline" or "simply" something, it creates CHAOS!!!   bear_ermm

I went ot mail a package to the U.K. today, and requested "Global Priority Mail."  I was told that it no longer exists!  My local post office folks are like friends to me, so we had a good laugh about the new regulations and all, and I'm sure that eventually I will get used to it, but right now, I feel like pulling my hair out. 

You can still get a package to Europe in 6-10 days, but now it's more expensive (of course!) and they have new customs forms as well.  There are like 5 copies and they have to get out this little stampy thing and stamp them all.....

Here's a link to the the new "simplified" international mail process....

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm

Kim Basta

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

You know it's funny, I sell so many bears to other countries and I think you have to, to be successful in this business, but it is getting so frustrating it will be hard to want to continue to do it.  It reminds me of that wonderful saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AARGH!!!!

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this link.  I'm torturing myself with it even as I type...  bear_noexpression

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I went to send something I purchased and decided I didn't like BACK.  Normally would have cost me about $6.50 to return...they now MEASURE THE PACKAGE in addition to weighing it and since I stupidly ripped the package it came in and couldn't reuse it and waited and didn't sent it back LAST WEEK and had forgotten that postage was changing on Monday...I went today.  Cost me... $10.50.  YEP...I kid you NOT!!!  Not because it weighed that much...but because they measured the box...their box even!!!  I was needless to say...not very happy.  The lady in the line next to me was having a heated argument with the postal guy...I felt sorry for him...was embarrassed for her.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I just had a little wander over to USPS.  I've always shipped Express Global Priority, a 3-5 day service.  Last week I shipped a 2lb. 7oz. package to the UK for $34.50.  Now it will cost $39.00.  However, if you choose to use the online USPS service and print your own postage you get it at a discount....a little over $35.00.  I think I shall try to use the online service.  I'll still have to stand in line at the Post Office, I'm sure, but at least my collectors won't get hit so hard for shipping.  Oiy!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

The new regulations are a nightmare for regular artists (as in those who sell paintings).  Anything that weighs less than 20 pounds and measures over 84" in girth + length is now subject to "dimensional weight" charges.  Unfortunately, paintings are the very definition of a "large, lightweight" package.  So a full-size painting that I used to be able to ship priority from NY to CA by priority mail for $15 or $20, now costs more like $45.  The artists on eBay are having heart failure over this...  You will also find in the new changes that first class mail acceptable width has been reduced, and several other goodies that will surprise people in the coming months.

Ho hum   bear_shocked
Kelly

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh My Gosh Kelly, that's awful.  I bet that painters are in an uproar... Especially if one is not very well known, and their work is selling in the $50 range.... the postage could be as much as the cost of the painting!   bear_shocked   

I searched and searched through the FAQ's section and no where did I see an answer to MY question....

"What on God's Green Earth were you thinking when you "simplified" things in this manner!?

Kim Basta

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Sorry guys if I'm having a little giggle at your expense...you sound like you're dealing with CANADA POST!!!
You never know how good you have it until its gone......... bear_tongue

Cheryl bear_flower

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

On a related subject... for anyone who prints their labels through PayPal... PayPal is currently NOT giving the correct shipping amounts for USPS!  They are working on the problem.  They are drastically overcharging shipping in some cases (3x what it should be even with the new expensive rates), and could make for some very peevish buyers. 

<sigh>
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

How much longer will it be before our bears cost LESS than postage. :crackup:  bear_sad
I remember when the US 1st Class stamp cost 6 cents. (Sigh... sounding old at 36 here!) But that simply means that postage has gone up at the rate of only about 1 cent per year (for first class postage... the package rates I have no idea about as far as increases go!) Gas prices go up more than that! The cost of living increases more than that. So, of course, postage must go up too! However, it does seem to be happening all too often and creating lots of headaches.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I'm with Cheryl - lots of people used to actually go across the border to mail things from the U.S. - it was that much cheaper!  I think no matter what your increases, it will probably still be cheaper than Canada post LOL!  Sorry guys, I do feel badly for you.

hugs,

Brenda

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We have been dealing with all these problems for yrs in Canada with Canada Post that's why we switched to UPS.  Much cheaper and easier to deal with and no standing in lines.

big hugs

Shane

Stellajella Wien

...postal service...something to go postal about ;)

Gaby bear_flower

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I went to ship a bear the other day. I put it in a box that was large enough to not crush the bear and ensure it would arrive safely.
I about fell over when she told me that because of the size of the box (after measuring it with her little tape), they would be charging me for 12lbs and it would be $28.95 (w/o insurance!!) I was angry to say the least. I drove all the way home and re-packaged the bear and for the same bear, it was now down to $18.95....how frusterating!!! Last week, this box would have cost me no more then $16 with insurance. They think they are making things better, but they are chasing all of us away. If we have to go by their ridiculious guidelines and pay these prices, we may as well use UPS and have them pick up at our front door.
I even had them measure one of thier own priority boxes to make sure it falls into their new guideline...how funny is that!!

Signed,

Seeking new method of shipping in Seattle

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

PS
For those of you who ship internationally and have customers who want ground service (crazy if you ask me, as it takes 4-6 weeks), it is no longer an option. International is now only air.

Stellajella Wien

wouldn´t it be cheaper with UPS or DHL? For sure it would be more efficient!!!

I never received a box damaged through any of the other services, than th epostal service.

Gaby bear_flower

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

wouldn´t it be cheaper with UPS or DHL?

As soon as a pkg leaves the hands of the USPS, it IS in the hands of DHL when traveling overseas to its final destination.

Rats. I was going to ship all needed teaching materials into Asia to save on flight space & weight when I'll be traveling alone later in the Fall....

K Pawz Guest

OMG they didn't measure your packages before????? I always wondered why it was so cheap for people to mail from the states....Here in Canada I can't remember a time when our packages weren't weighed and meausured!!! I guess now people won't think it so outrageous with the shipping quotes on eBay that I post, maybe it will sink in a bit what we are dealing with here in Canada.

Hugs,
Krista

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Yep Krista, I was thinking the same thing!  Canadian postal prices for shipping are going to look a whole lot better to U.S. customers! :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ironically, the only thing that's held me back before with shipping UPS or DHL was the higher price.  Now that they're on the same price level, I'm beginning to think the better quality service is something to relook at. 

And WHY may I ask, does 'junk mail' arrive by the truckloads in pristine condition with all sorts of stupid little inserts perfectly in place, but a treasured package or 'real letter' get shredded??  bear_wacko

bear_sad   Why does it all have to go via air??  Did they make a deal with the airlines??   bear_ermm  bear_tongue

Board footer