Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

bush.jpgIs this really the way people in Texas talk?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin Thanks, Nance!

I'm going to send this to my sister the Arizona Democrat--possibly the only one (I'm a Registered Independant myself, whatever that is)!

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Naw . . . we doan awl tawk lak thet! bear_grin bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Hey, maybe we need a library of audio clips!

I have no idea what I'm talking about!

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

We could all have our own 'Catchphrase'!!:lol:

I'm from South West England where we all talk a bit 'Ooooh Aaaar' (terrible accent!!):lol:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I personally love American accents and i agree with Mandie - those southern states have the most wonderful accents!

Bet George W. wishes he'd never won the election now, his terms of office have'nt exactly gone smoothly have they?

Can you lot vote in George Clooney as next President? he may not be a lot of use but i bet the female interest in politics would hit an all time high - i'd even consider emigrating to the USA - No maybe it's not such a good idea after all, What have you Yanks done to deserve that!

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Penny

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Ah, I love the Southern accent too. bear_laugh

My mom was a Texan, and her whole family's still there. My little sis and brother in law in Missouri have lovely accents. He's from Tennessee, and her accent is 'acquired', but nobody does it better.

Yankee-bashing Ontario has a soft spot for southerners. I participated in a focus group all about travelling to the US (I didn't confess to being an American). The moderator's questions made it obvious that she expected the panelists to spurn the south--stereotypes about racial attitudes, guns, all that hoohah.

She heard the opposite: the panelists went on and on about the lovely accents, wonderful food, courtly manners, tall handsome men, etc.

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York

My sister, who now lives in North Carolina, says the natives advised her of the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee.  A Yankee is one who comes and visits.  A Damn Yankee is one who comes and stays.  bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

bear_grin:lol::lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol::lol: Love it!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Very good Nance and yes it is good to have a laugh for today - thanks

Hugs

carolyn
bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

bear_grin:lol::lol:by crikey Deb you're a little bottler!!!:lol::lol:

Nanc , I just had to email that sign to my self.!!:lol::lol: you guys crack me up:lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Nope,

A redneck is literally someone whose neck is red from working out in the sun--usually a farmer or a laborer.

"Redneck" has come to mean any kind of unsophisticated, ignorant, crude, stupid person. It's used to put people down. Not fair, but so it is.

There's a comedian named Jeff Foxworthy, who does a whole act based on "You know you're a redneck if . . . " Very funny!

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Redneck in Texas is used as an uncomplimentary term to describe very conservative, biased (or bigoted), people that tote guns, along with the accurate description that Eileen has given.  Not a compliment to be called a redneck!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hrmmm no not a compliment, but I always thought it was much less worste in the US, than here.  I mean, I would hate to be called a redneck, but after that "I'm A Redneck Woman" song came out, I thought it mustn't be such a bad thing over there... anymore.. LOL

Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Danni,

Here, the rednecks started fighting back! There's definitely a "Redneck Pride" movement going strong!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

The only thing I know about rednecks is after my son was out for too long in the summer he had a real red neck.;) bear_happy bear_happy bear_laugh bear_cool bear_cool bear_cool bear_cool:cool:

Eileen you dog is wonderful, just look at that adorable face! :)

Jane.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Isn't she sweet?

Her nose is a bit bent--she's sniffing the camera.

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ha Ha!!   Bless her, I can see that, animals are so nosey aren't they:D

She's beautiful Eileen, wish I could have a dog but my son is scared of them:(

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Cold Wet Nosey!

Before I take on new students, I always ask if they have a problem with dogs or cats, and if they're allergic to animal dander.

The only problem I've had so far is with one of the parents. He likes to stay for the lesson, but he's honestly terrified of animals, including the two rabbits that frisk through the front room from time to time.

All my beasts are very affectionate, alas. This poor man used to barricade himself behind a large cushion, but I found a better solution. I filled a small lidded cookie tin about 1/4 full of pennies. When he shakes that thing, they all run for cover. Now he only has to hold it!

Dogs can seem pretty overwhelming to young kids too!

Eileen

Board footer