Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

Can anyone please tell me how to make your own nose shine from PVA glue and water? or something else?
Thanks for your help!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I use Aleene's instant decoupage (water based glue) in gloss finish.  It gives a really nice shine and I don't loose any detailing of the stitched nose at all.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Chrissi wrote: I use Aleene's instant decoupage (water based glue) in gloss finish.  It gives a really nice shine and I don't loose any detailing of the stitched nose at all.

Chrissi: when you use the decoupage, does it last a long time. Meaning, does it crack over the years? I often wondered about that.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Michelle Helen wrote:

Chrissi: when you use the decoupage, does it last a long time. Meaning, does it crack over the years? I often wondered about that.

I'm using this over a stitched nose, so it's absorbed into the fibers...it's a very very thin coat you would be applying. It's not like you're creating a "shell" of any kind that would have  surface to "crack". I'd say I'm using the equivalent to 3-4 lightly tip of the brush dipped brush strokes...it's so minimal and absorbed. I've also used over nosed that had already seen a 50/50 glue solution and that took even less to coat...just 1-2 brush strokes with a lightly dipped brush. I have dolls that my aunt made....jeez, probably 28-30 years ago...where she used a 50/50 solution on certain yarn/floss pieces and those dolls are still mint today. 
I can't talk to putting this over a solid surface, like clay or resin...but you could probably find out via Aleene's...I would guess that they have a research department that could give out longevity numbers.  You figured people are mainly using this for decoupage on solid wood, metal and glass, so the idea behind the stuff is to last and see wear-n-tear via use.
Water based glues hold up pretty well if treated with basic care.  I still have macaroni projects from grade school that are in good shape, glue-paper- and noodles attached by a 1st grader (now physics bound 1st graders would gasp and guffaw at the thought of such feeble work  bear_grin ). But it's still here after 28 years!

Hope that helps!

:hug:
~Chrissi

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba
karenaus Melbourne
Website

Since you are in Australia- Gerry's Nose shine- no mucking around with water and glue, just open the bottle and paint it on;)

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Chrissi: Thank you for explaining this techique....

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I just use bees wax and rub it on the nose and buff it to a nice shine with a plain white sheet of paper.
I ordered black and brown wax from a supplier and that works nice too. I buff it with the paper.

Board footer