Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

In Tillberg's 101 Bears to Make, she mentions coiled acrylic fiber as a by-product from the manufacture of synthetic fur. I'm very interested in this idea, using by-products from the fur manufacture. While at the ABC Unlimited convention in Schaumberg last month, I was told that the nearest source for such material to me (I live in Chicago), is a place called Monterey Mills. They also told me which stuffing was the best to use -- only I forgot!

Is anyone familiar with the product in general, or the company in specific?

Is there, hope beyond hope, someone in the Chicago area who uses this stuff, who might be willing to let a novice bear-maker see the end result?

http://www.montereymills.com/Catalog_c64005.html

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Amul.  I used Monterey Mills' stuffing when I first started making bears and liked it.  I like the firm stuffing, so
either "C" or "D" is the one I used most frequently.  I now buy my stuffing online from CRs Crafts and, again, buy the kind that stuffs firmly.  http://www.crscraft.com/products/vProdu … chOffset=x

Chicago, IL
Website

I prefer to make softer, "cuddly" bears. Does this mean you'd suggest stuffing A or B?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes . . . A or B from Monterey and http://www.crscraft.com/products/vProdu … chOffset=x from CRs Crafts.

Lynn Wisconsin

Amul - I have been using Monterey Mills stuffing for years.  I used to purchase it through a bear shop in my area until they closed.  I just bought a bag from Monterey Mills and I think it was C, it is a soft yellow color. 

Lynn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

They are up in the Madison/Janesville area.

The bags are HUGE!! When I got my first order I thought the Pillsbury Doughboy was running up my driveway! All I saw was a 4' tall, 3' wide plastic bag, with 2 brown legs running underneath.

It was my UPS delivery man! What a picture he made!

Lynn Wisconsin

Bobbie you made me laugh.  It is sitting in my basement and it does look like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Lynn

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I use it all the time.  Mom and I make a trip up there once a year to get stuffing usually 2 - 3 bags of the "C".  You can still use C to get a soft and floppy or cuddly bear, it al depends on how hard or soft you stuff.  I don't recommend D, too many chunks in it.  I would use "A" if you are making a really light coloured bear, particularly if youu use light coloured felt or other light coloured fabric for the paws and feet.  "A" is usually a snow white color.  "C" works for most artists and it is less expensive than "A" or "B".  I will be happy to take a picture for you to see.  I'll take it in the morning and post.

Now I remember!  You talked with me and my mom at the show.  I remember telling you about TT. We had two tables in the corner.

For most of my stuffing I do use excelsior AKA wood wool especially in the nose that makes it easier for the needle to go through when you are sewing on the nose.  All of bears heads are completely stuffed will excelsior.  You can pick this up at any local Wal-Mart,Hobby Lobby, or any crafts store in the floral section, but you want to get the undyed stuff.  If it has any color at all avoid it.  The dye will bleed through the fur.  I'll post a picture of that too.

Good Luck!

Chicago, IL
Website
Jare Hares & Bears wrote:

Now I remember!  You talked with me and my mom at the show.  I remember telling you about TT. We had two tables in the corner.

For most of my stuffing I do use excelsior AKA wood wool especially in the nose that makes it easier for the needle to go through when you are sewing on the nose.  All of bears heads are completely stuffed will excelsior.  You can pick this up at any local Wal-Mart,Hobby Lobby, or any crafts store in the floral section, but you want to get the undyed stuff.  If it has any color at all avoid it.  The dye will bleed through the fur.  I'll post a picture of that too.

Good Luck!

Ooh, yes, that was me! It's so nice to be remembered by nice people.

As you can see, I definitely appreciated the information you gave me  bear_laugh

Board footer