Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've decided to try the locknut joints because it seems by the time I get my bear stuffed and sewn closed their poor little joints are not as tight as they were when I first jointed them. 

BUT...I know it's go to be cheaper to buy them at the hardware store...I'm just not sure what size parts to get.  And, I'll need to buy tools too so I'd like to do it all at once.

Any recommendations?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I buy size 6/32 locknuts (with the nylon stopper) and 6/32 hex-head bolts in sizes 1", 3/4", 5/8", and 1/2".  I use nut drivers to hold one nut in place while I screw the other one on.  Hope this makes sense to you.

Deb Upstate New York

Exactly what SueAnn said.  The nylon stoppers insure the nut never comes off.  In fact, if you ever need to get one off after it's on, and your arm or leg is already closed up ... plan on having two pair long nose pliers on hand.  The place I get mine calls them Nylocks.  Not sure if that's a brand or just what they call them.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I use setscrews for my jointing.  You use the locknut on one end to make the bolt head.  The nice thing about the setscrews is that you can treat it like the cotterpin joint and finish the arms and legs before you attach them to the bear.  I feel dealing with just and arm sewing the opening closed is so much easier than dealing with a whole bear.  The setscrew has a hole in one end of the screw that you put the allen key into to hold the screw.  I have a drill bit that goes into a screwdriver that I sell that goes into the end of the screw that makes it much easier to hold.  I used to glue the disc to the bolt head so that I could close the arms and legs before attaching to the body but found it time consuming and did not like the odor of the glue.  Also there were times that the glue did not hold the disc.  To me the extra expense of the setscrews is paid for with the convience of this system.
If you are going to Lincoln City show next weekend look me up at the Edinburgh booth and I will show you how they work.
Donna

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

i use lock nut and bolts for most of my bears and only use the tiny cotter pins for very small bears, i cannot turn the metal and get frustrated with it.
hugs Kerren

clare14 Country Bears
England

I admire all you guys who use nut and bolt joints, I tried, I really did, but ended up throwing the bear over the other side of the room and screaming!!!:lol:

Frightened the kids to death in fact, it takes a lot to get me stressed, but they did!!

I spent a fortune on them, have used the discs but the nuts and bolts still sit there.......darn things...........:mad:

Give me cotter pins any day!!:)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Clare,

The first time I tried locknuts I was working with a screwdriver and needle-nosed pliers. Before I got the dang thing tight enough, I'd scraped most of the skin off my knuckles!

Now that I've practiced a bit, and got the hang of balancing one wiggly thing against another, I can do the job without bloodshed, and I like the tighter joints--my cotter pin joints are ok, but feel loose by comparison.

Eileen

Board footer