Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Hi everyone. I wonder what the ribbons and rosettes mean when you enter a competition. I have entered abour 4 competitions and in each competition I have one a blue rosette yet I dont know what this means? No one has ever told me. I know I didnt win Bear of Show and when they give credit to winners of sections I dont seem to be on the lists.... And yet my bears are usually the only one in that section with a rosette or sharing it with 1 other bear so what does it mean. I dont what to seem conceted or down play anyone elses bear with a ribbon or rosette I just want to know what it stands for? If they put a ribbon or rosette on bears willy nilly does that defeat the purpose of aiming for a rosettte or ribbon. If it means you won that section should that not be said? I just dont understand.... Please help.... bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Anne-marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Anne-Marie.

I'd imagine that each contest determines the meaning of their specific awards independently.  You'd have to ask the contest sponsor for an explanation to truly understand what each ribbon means, for a particular contest. 

As far as I know, a "rosette" is just a particular kind of ribbon award; one with a flowery looking, circular, ruffled center medallion; it usually has two ribbon tails dangling below. In and of itself, getting a "rosette" simply means that you've been given a ribbon designed in this way.  Here's a photo of a rosette ribbon.

rosette.jpg

Some contests offer BEST OF SHOW as well as 1st, 2nd, 3rd placements, or some variation thereof.  I'm sure there are also contests and fairs which award a ribbon to every entrant as an Honorable Mention award, recognizing their pariticipation and thanking entrants for their efforts. 

Because we don't know the particulars of the competitions your bears were a part of, though, I don't think anyone here will be able to specifically answer your question about your particular ribbon(s).

Can you write to the event sponsor and ask about the awards given?  That would probably be the best and most straightforward way to get answers in this case.

I have limited experience with shows and awards but for the two big US contests, the ribbons and trophies are awarded very differently.  The TOBY contest gives crystal awards to both category nominees AND final winners in each category... plus an EXTRA trophy for the artist who wins Best in Show for this magazine-sponsored contest.

The Golden Teddy, equally prestigious, sends beautiful rosette ribbons printed with "nominee" to their nominated artists, and grants a crystal trophy to the winners of each category.  There is no "Best in Show" category.

Ultimately, it all boils down to the particular contest you're discussing.  There's no one rule, or system of awards, for all!

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I agree with all that Shelli has said.

Specific colors are supposed to signify the 'place' for which the ribbon was given.... Purple=Best in Show, Blue=1st, Red=2nd, White=3rd 

BUT: I've also learned that different countries award ribbons differently, in addition to the variations from promoter to promoter.

And some promoters award ribbons that are printed and/or have a tag on the back with the specifics for the award so there are no uncertainties and you aren't left, years later, trying to remember what the award was for. Others don't do this.

Sure can be confusing, huh?

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi Anne Marie I can help you with the meanings of the ribbons in most Australian shows.....The ribbons are usually an indicator of how many points the judge has awarded your entry with a blue one for between 90 and 100 points, a red one for 80 to 89 points and an orange or yellow one for 70 to 79 points. My understanding of rosettes was that they are awarded to 'best in section' winners ie...the most points in that section but if your bears hasn't been acknowledged as such then perhaps they were encouragement awards or something like this....I think that one can only be cleared up by asking the show organiser......sorry I couldn't be of more help.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Yes Anne Marie for the competitions you would have entered it's most likely as Sarah-Jane says,  ribbons are given out for certain points achieved on your critique sheet, everyone in that points range getting the appropriate ribbon colour, and the top scorer getting the Rosette.   Sometimes though there's only one of each colour ribbon awarded, then its just First, Second and Third placings, but I think you would notice if the competition was run this way.

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Thanks for your posts guys. I know my score range was from 95 -98 out of hundred. And they handed out ribbons that said highly commended or commended to other bears so perhaps these were like second place ect. I think the organisers should make this a little clearer even if they mention it on the critique sheet, if they dont recognise it officially as a win in the section through photo mentions ect. Any way next one I get Ill make sure I ask....... bear_sad

Board footer