Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

TBPBenMirandaweb.jpgWith all the talk of declining attendance at shows and low eBay sales, etc... I just thought I'd post something that might make your gals smile with a bit of teddy love!  As many of you know I just moved to a new community and we are settling in, STILL unpacking, etc... I am just in love with the new community I am in, and here's something really nice that the community orchestra does once a year.  The music was animal related... "Flight of the Bumblebee," Carnival of the Animals," and of course "Teddy Bear Picnic!"  Lots of other bear and animal songs as well.  The kids were allowed to bring their teddies too, and they all marched around and played instruments.   I brought a bear along to work on before the show started and the organizers came up to me and sort of recruited me to do spot repairs on some of the kids bears!  I sewed up plenty of ripped seams, stitched a new nose for a little girl's ted, and made a new ear for another little one.  He was so sweet!  His teddy was "just" a drug store cheapy, but he was so in love with him!  He was a dark brown synthetic little guy, so the beige mohair I had with me really didn't match very well, but he and his mom were so happy to at least have an "anatomically correct" teddy!  She had tried to buy another of the same teddy for him a couple of weeks ago and his answer was a resounding "NO! That's not my bear!" 
It did make me think about the absolute love many of us feel for these sweet little teddy-souls... and it also made me think about the next generation of teddy collectors, and teddy artists!  With the "Build A Bear" phenomenon taking hold so strongly... I imagine that when these little ones do grow up, we might have a whole new revival of teddy bear collecting and teddy artistry! 
This pic appeared in our local paper.  I hope it doesn't come out too grainy to see!  Oh... the little guy in the sandals is Ben, my youngest, and the little one next to him with the bear is Miranda my 5 year old.   She's holding "Patina,"  the first bear I ever made from mohair.  She was sort of a "test bear" and Miranda just fell in love with her.   It's nice to see that in a day and age where almost every toy is some sort of talking, moving, battery eating monstrosity... the teddy is still near and dear to the hearts of the young!

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you for sharing!  Yep ... here's my smile! bear_laugh

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

OH That is fantastic! I love to see pictures of teddies! I just want to go and give him a big hug bear_laugh

Hudson, Ohio

I DID go give him a big hug!!!! There was a high school boy inside all that fur!  I'm sure there were those that thought I was a bit nuts.... but oh well... they don't know what they were missing!  Of course my husband, who has a serious jealous streak (NOT the biggest bear lover in the world, but sweet and supportive nonetheless), said, "I bet that guy is gonna get the WRONG impression from that, Kim!"  To which I replied (very under my breath and completely out of ear shot of any of the young guests) "I don't think that many teddies are truly anatomically correct .... you really DON'T have any thing to worry about here!"

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great photo and great story, Kim!!  Oh dear, your husband was jealous of a teddy bear??!! bear_ermm

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Love this story Kim

Long live teddy bears!

I'm sure they will go on being popular long after we have turned up our bear makers toes bear_laugh

Penny

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Great story, I had never thought that with the success of build a bear, it's just growing a whole new generation of collectors. makes sense to me!!
Heather

Hudson, Ohio
psichick78 wrote:

.....with the success of build a bear, it's just growing a whole new generation of collectors. makes sense to me!!
Heather

Oh I do hope so... There were kids carrying armfuls of them at the "Picnic."  I'd think it would give them a good appreciation of a bit of the design process as well, since with BAB, you get to pick out body, your stuffing, your nose, your clothes, all that.  The kids really do seem to cherish them, especially since they have "customized" them to a certain degree.  My little ones haven't asked to do one yet, but in my mind its a whole lot sweeter than a mass produced manufactured ted!  Not that I really have a problem or anything with mass produced manufactured teds..... I've certainly seen some cute ones out there, and a teddy is a teddy in my book, so long as it's LOVED! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hudson, Ohio
SueAnn wrote:

Oh dear, your husband was jealous of a teddy bear??!! :/

Not jealous in the "mean" type of way... I think he was a bit embarrassed to have his "30 something" wife clamoring with the 5 year olds to hug a person dressed up like a bear.  I was the only Mom in line!   The kid in the suit didn't seem to mind!   

Beary truly,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cool! bear_cool

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Kim, what a story! Thanks for sharing!

Bear is just amazing!!eek2.gif

Hugs, Julia

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

Long live the Teddy ! that is lovely sweetie
and reminded me
this summer I taught 4 classes over 3 days for the local Moms and Children , 85 bears in all ...85 pairs of safety eyes , 85 noses
I had repetative strain and a thumb like a cucumber ..but it was worth it just to see their faces :)
there are some pictures in my Picture Trail

http://www.picturetrail.com/tinybear

the Librarys and Schools I worked with have asked for me to do more classes , but the Area Education cant budget for it this year , but hopefully next year more classes and courses are going to be run - and so comes our next Generation ...feels good to be a part of it :)
wish I could get a high school student to dress up for me LOL

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya Carrie! Nice to see you here. :D
For those who don't yet know Carrie's work, check out her website, she's one very talented lady!

Jane.

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

waves to Jane bear_laugh

Board footer