Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I was reading an earlier post and our wonderful Gollie advisor 'Dilu' said she used mohair for the hair. Oh wonderful Gollie advisor or anyone else who makes gollies could you help me decide if either one of these two mohairs would be good. I haven't made a gollie yet but have plans to make several and they will be 6" or less.

The two Schulte mohairs I am looking at are:
    1"Pile Dense Curly Black MC12-264
        1 1/8" pile Curly Kid Mohair Black MC18-264

Thanks for the help!

Hugs,

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I think both of those would be nice!
You have got me thinking I should make some gollies or other cloth dollies because that would be a great way to use all those smaller scraps of longer mohair I have/ I have BOXES of the stuff saved since I can't bring myself to throw it out--it was too expensive. The fur is too long to make really small bears, though and not big enough to make anything else.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

The Curly kid mohair sounds great.   I have used a long pile black synthetic fur as hair for my gollies, I suppose it depends on the look you are after too.   Goodluck, may sure you post us a pic when you are finished.  :hug:

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I had left one out of the list and it is actually the one I decided on. It is a 1" pile Regular Matted Mohair Black. After reading Karen's comment I realized that this one, since it is matted, should brush out nicely. With the curly mohair it may have been too nice to brush and I decided I wanted a more straight hair look.

Thanks for the comments and I will share a picture when I finish the gollie. Now all I need is some black UV or knit fabric.

Hugs,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

For a 6 inch or less gollie I think either would be grand.  The bigger thegolly the longer the mohair is my watch word....It also depends on firs or boys....sometimes on the little girls you want to curl a little or add ribbons etc.

I also needlefelt black rovings onto the head, and curls as I go. 

Another option is black yarn unraveled and needlefeltd onto the head.....

the mohair I sew on as an intregal part of the head piece, and the shape of the side pieces and back piece determine the shape of the head

Here's a secret about gollies, as long as they don't have a mouth they can't complain.  keep that in mind if you start making a lot pf them./

Another secret, when sewing black on black with black h thread it can be difficult for you to see.  That's good because no one else can see either, therefore I will frequently zigzag black mohair pieces onto the thead shape prior to seing the thead together and stuffing.

If you have any more questions let me know.

hugs

dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

PS  Try Sassys bears and fabrics, she has wonderful craft velour and buck suede....its all I use for my gollies now.....

http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/

She is a memebr of TT and such a great gal.....

dilu

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Here's a secret about gollies, as long as they don't have a mouth they can't complain.  keep that in mind if you start making a lot pf them./

You are too cute, Dilu! And so helpful!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Dilu,

Who'd of thought the gollie would complain.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Thanks for your advise. I've looked at the Sassy fabrics and they look like a good bet. I definitely plan on ordering some of the buck suede or craft velor. I have a few other projects to complete before tackling a gollie but I was trying to take advantage of the SMB sale going on and getting some mohair as it is rapidly selling out.

I had also thought of needlefelting on the hair as I did that with a merbear I finished and I think I have some black curly locks will have to go look.

Thanks for all the tips and I will holler if I need any further help.

I love this place there is always someone willing to help out.

Hugs,

Board footer