Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i am now qualified for whatever list of stupid accidents while bear making you want to put me on!  i was sewing last night while terry mowed the lawn and i dropped my fiskar scissors and reflexively caught them by snapping my legs together..with the obvious result.  i drove the lenght of the blade into my upper thigh..thank god terry was mowing under one of the windows..hes hard of hearing on a good day and we have an extensive yard..usually hes way out of sight and hearing..poor guy has had all kinds of heart and stents ect surgeries..and he runs into the house to find a trail of blood and my blood soaked jeans on the floor,,i put my leg up and clamped a towel on it..but watching it spurt out of me was scary!! it happened so FAST! so a wiz trip to er and im mostly good as new!
except i feel like an IDIOT! so how was your day?  bear_rolleyes   deb

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

OMG! Deb!! What a bummer!! Did you have to get stitches? Oh that sounds so painful.... :cry:
Glad to hear you are better today  :hug:   :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  Whoa . . . that was some sewing accident!  The worst I've done is sew the edge of my thumb to some fabric with the sewing machine.  Hope you're doing well now.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Ouch!!!!  bear_shocked  That made me cringe just reading it!!! I hope your leg gets better soon!!!!   :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Deb!!!!!! Please... no more injuries... I want to see you in Maine all in one piece.... no awl sticking out of your forehead or scissors dangling from your leg. No sewing machine needle stuck through your finger or any other painfully silly accident! :doh:

Did you have to have stitches in your leg?

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Ouch.............that would hurt, poor thing!  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

OUCH! Glad you're better now...sorry, I'm really sorry for your accident, but I did give a chuckle reading Daphne's post. Forgive me, please, for the chuckle. I really hope you're feeling better.

Like Sue Ann, I've sewed through my finger on the sewing machine a few years ago...working on a quilt, though, not a bear. I always thought such stories were made up...really, how could anyone sew through a finger...wouldn't you know where your finger was. But, I did it myself and I felt really stupid.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh my gosh, Deb, I can't believe you didn't pass out on the spot!!! That is a bit of freak accident for sure, but I can so see it happening - like you said just reflex action. Hope it heals up quickly and isn't too painful.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I can understand fully how you did that! I came close to it myself.  :crackup:

Take Care ---- takes lots of Care!

Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh Deb,
     I hope your feeling better, but I thought I'd cheer your up - I did the exact same thing about four years ago and still have a nasty scar on my inside thigh.   Those little Fiskar scissors are SHARP!   It's just such an instinctive reaction when you drop something!   Hope you mend fast!

hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Yikes Deb!  Heal well and fast!  :hug:

OMGosh!  I just now put two and two together as far as your company name and your avatar goes... Hearts Ease... it's a wild pansy thing!!!!  I'm a pansy lover as well, I just updated my blog with a little pansy research and a picture of some ribbon work pansies that I am making for a special project.  I ca't belive it took me that long to put that connection together... What a LOVELY company name!!!   bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta

Fairfax,Vermont

Brenda i wouldnt have believed it if i hadna done it! sharp isnt the word..it didnt even really hurt.no stitches..for deep puncture wounds they like not to close them due to risk of infection..like mohair inside..so antibiotics for a week..and elevated for a day or two..( not used to sitting ugh)daphne and marlys..laughing is the only way to deal with it..i just was worried id scare my dh! i do know i CAN  deal with blood now..i have a balck and bue the size of a coffee cup around it and th emuscles are so..but thats it..coulda been worse!

and yes Kim it does have to do with the pansies real name and the fact that when my father  and right after.. a beloved malamute died.. i acquired another mal and named him Heart or formally Icewinds Hearts Ease..because the pain of losing them was so bad and he helped me get past it..pets are great that way!  my insanely spoiled springer has been keeping me company all day. bear_grin   thanks for the laughs and the nice thoughts!
Beware falling shears!  daphne i will try and stay in one piece for the show,,and not show up looking like frankenstein!  deb

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I do hope your injury is not as painful now, and that it heals well.  Gosh, this bearmaking craft is a dangerous, risky business isn't it!!!!   Better up my life insurance.!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Owwwwchies Deb!!!!!!!!  I can see how you could do that so easily tho!!

BootButtonBears wrote:

I do hope your injury is not as painful now, and that it heals well.  Gosh, this bearmaking craft is a dangerous, risky business isn't it!!!!   Better up my life insurance.!!!

haha, love it Christine, wonder if health insurance will still cover us once we let them know lol  :crackup:  :crackup:

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

OUCH  :doh:
I was cringing just reading your message.
I hope its better soon

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

OUCH!!!

Deb, I'm glad you were able to quickly get to the ER. I hope your thigh is no longer hurting.

Those instinctive reflexes will definitely get you in trouble, I have done a similar thing myself, but wasn't quick enough so luckily I missed.

Hugs,

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

You're just lucky it wasn't higher Deb...then you really would have been in trouble!  bear_grin

Hope you're all mended soon!  bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Debra: that is awful!! I hope you are o.k. and healing fast. It's amazing what can happen in just seconds...one minute you are fine and the next, on your way the ER.....Take care.  :hug:  :hug:

Fairfax,Vermont

thank you all! i am feeling much better today! the muscles are sore from just being bruised but i don't see any signs of infection knock on wood ( my head) . i am going to velcro a SMALLER pair of scissors for clipping thread right to my machine..,maybe with a short leash attatched! my dh's family reunion is tomorrow and i wll be subjected to serious lectures and much teasing all day! he cant wait! and i've ben told that im not allowed touse the sharp objects at work anymore! sigh...deb

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

ouch!  that sounds so painful!  I hope you feel better soon.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Oh no! well, if it makes you feel any better I did the same thing with one of my huge sculpting needles. Blah that was gross.
Hope you heal up quickly bear_original  :hug:

Hugs!
Melanie

sarahjane Brisbane

You're just lucky it wasn't higher Deb...then you really would have been in trouble!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Owwwwww!!!  Deb that sounds so painful...I have attempted to do the same sort of thing on several occasions....fortunately my reflexes are not as quick as yours!!

Fairfax,Vermont

yeah Sarah Jane..leave it to me to have one talent that is only a plus depending on what you catch! bear_original:):) deb

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

OUCH!! I hope it heals up quickly for you. :hug:   bear_flower
I had a nasty bear making accident too once.I was using a pair of pliers too pull a seven inch sculpting needle through a bear's head. It was a bit stuck so I gave it a good hard yank and when it came through I stabbed myself in the thigh with the needle.  It was only a pucture, but it too bled like crazy. My first thought was not for me, but for the white bear I was making! I flung the bear's head across the room to save it from getting blood on it! I had a huge bruise too.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Tami - I salute you.   You are a true bearmaker!!!  Anyone who is more worried about the bear than an enormous needle going into their leg, gets my vote hands down.

Board footer