Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Well, the flood waters may have got lower in my back garden, but the problems are not over yet.  The waters are still rising in areas around me, and we have today been told that our tap water is going to run out in the next hour or so, as the local water treatment plant is flooded and has stopped working.  They are saying that it could be over 72 hours before the water is turned on again.
So many people's homes around us have been flooded, including two houses opposite us.  When will this end?
Is anyone else affected by all of this??

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

bear_sad Good luck Samantha, I'm in Lincolnshire and we seem to have escaped most of the flooding, despite the torrents of rain!

I'm luck because our house is an old factory terrace, and when it was built a flood cellar was added just in case as we're close to the river: fingers crossed we won't need it!

Make sure you fill lots of buckets bear_original

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Glad to hear you are safe and dry Chloe!! bear_thumb
We've still got tap water at the moment, and we have filled lots of buckets, pans and bottles in preparation!!

I have added some pictures of the local flooding on my blog if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

There were some big puddles around Mexborough on Friday, but the weather doesn't seem to be quite as bad the past week or so.

Here is a link to our local newspaper. It had a supplement a couple of weeks ago about the floods in and around Barnsley, plenty of pictures.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/features/

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Being on the top of an incline we always miss the floods despite being near a part that does get flooded. So we're lucky...Leamington Spa and Stratford upon Avon have been completely cut off..they are nearby..and when I drove to Hampton in Arden what is normally a small stream had burst its banks and flooded making three fields into a virtual lake leaving the poor cows perched on a tiny island of dry land unable to move without wading through many feet of water..the road was under water too...but passable. there is more to come apparently....
I hope you're all ok...

sarahjane Brisbane

Good luck to all of you in the UK who are affected by the flooding...I hope it doesn't get any worse... :pray:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thinking of you all that are affected and Samantha I hope your not without the water for too long.

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Samantha....hope you are OK.....it looks quite scary on your blog...thinking of you, and pray

the water subsides soon! Take care....

Hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yikes - that's a lot of water!  Texas is just now beginning to recover from its flooding last month . . . although south Texas has flooded again this week.  Hope all of you across the pond will be safe and have enough water to last until things are normal again.  Such strange weather all over.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Samantha.... the news here on the Boston TV station showed footage of the flooding you all are experiencing and even spoke of the water treatment plant! It looks and sounds very serious!

Stay safe and dry! And just think, as long as you can get to the airport and the plane can take off, you'll be here in the states and hopefully dry land before you know it!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Thank you all for your kind words.  We have still got a bit of tap water left, but my parents who live a few miles away in Tewkesbury have run out, and our supply will run out very soon. bear_cry
I'm glad to hear everyone else is ok at the moment.  It just seems so ironic that we are knee-deep in water, and yet there is no clean drinking water!!

Daphne - I can't believe it is on your news!!  The water treatment plant is only a couple of miles away from me!  Have you seen the aerial footage of Tewkesbury?  If you have, the Abbey which is in the middle of the 'island' is where Alan and I got married.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

We are also seeing the floods on our news here and tonight we saw the area where you live Samantha (my daughters name is the same as yours) and I wish you all good luck and hope that everything comes right soon.

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Ooooh it is awful Samantha.  I do hope things get better there soon, been looking at the news and pictures on your blog, its horrible. Take care.

Warm wishes
Pauline

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Oh my gosh, I just saw this on the new tonight.  I hope you're ok Samantha!  Thinking of you and others....what a mess for you all!  They showed pics and video of the navy trying to keep waters from the power plant...something like half a million could loose power if it floods out..I hope it doesn't get that bad. 
Drinking water looked to be scarce too...bottled water selling out they said.  Smart to fill up containers and pots with clean water while you can..even the tub for washing up. 
BIG HUGS and thinking of you!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Wow, I watched it on the news. Hope you can all stay safe. we are having fires, we had 14 major fires here last week. Stay safe!!

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Thanks everyone - its great to know that we are iin your thoughts.

We are now without tap water which means no washing, no showers, no washing clothes, no washing dishes, no cooking with water and no flushing toilets!!!  Its at  a time like this that you realise how much we all take for granted.  We are lucky because we had a lot of warning before our water disappeared so we have managed to store plenty of water - we just need to use it sparingly.  I can't imagine how difficult it must be if you have a baby or small children, with no running water!!
There are many not far from us who are also without power!!
We have been told that the original guess of tap water being unavailable for 72 hours is very inaccurate, and an estimate of up to two weeks is more accurate!!! bear_ermm

Kathy - it would be great if we could send you some of this flood water for the fires bear_thumb , but unfortunately this strange world doesn't work like that!! *sigh*

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Oh Samantha....you have been so much on my mind...thank goodness you had enough warning to store some water....but its so awful for you. Are you able to get out of the house to get supplies, or are you surrounded by water? I hear on TV the army are now involved in delivering bottled water. You stay safe
and hopefully it will get better soon.....big hugs to you  :hug:

Yvonne  bear_flower

Cheltenham, UK
Website

Yvonne - we are actually in a very good position compared to many in our area.  We are no longer surrounded by water and we can get out and about freely.  At the moment, our only problem is a lack of tap water.
My parents live in Tewkesbury, which many of you will have seen on the news as being very badly hit.  They are very lucky as they live just outside the flooded area, so again they can get out and about, just not into Tewkesbury.  They have been without tap water for two days now.
Thank you for your thoughts. :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have been watching this on the news and the whole situation is just horrid. I feel for all of you.
I am writing this during the 7th day of nono-stop torrential rain. I have seen nothing like it ever!
and I am on the other side of the world.
Wendy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I think it's on the news everywhere - they are showing it in Canada as well.  I hope everyone has what they need to stay safe.  Being without water is awful, especially for families with small children.

When we had the ice storm in January/98, we had no heat or electricity for 8 days but we did have water, a stove and some of us with gas water heaters even had  hot water.  We kept perishibles buried in snow and cooked on the barbecue.  Heck, we could have melted snow if we had to and boiled it.  You don't have anyway to substitute for now water - that would be awful! 

Hope the weather lets up really soon and things get back to normal for everyone.

hugs,

Brenda

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

It really is awful, so awful in fact that my son and his family are going to come and stay with us for a while - they have'nt had a bath or shower for days now and i suspect they will bringing tons of dirty laundry with them. They were saying that panic buying has been going on and they are having problems buying things like nappies where they live in Gloucestershire. Must have nappies for my little grandson!
Penny
bear_tongue

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

That is scary stuff! Two weeks without tap water! I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

My thoughts and prayer are with you!

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh dear, I really feel for you all in the floods. 
Samantha, I just went and saw your photo's on your blog, it must be so terrifying   bear_shocked
Penny, I heard on the news about the paqnnic buying, and a bottle of water was astronomically priced, I think that's crimminal  bear_angry
My sister is in England at the moment, I think she mentioned going to Hudisfield, maybe she will need a boat to get there  bear_noexpression
Take care  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh... good thoughts to all of you dealing with this terrible problem!!!  bear_cry

Cheltenham, UK
Website

We still have no running water!!!   bear_ermm
I am so desperate for a shower!!! And some clean clothes!!!  We are going to visit some of my husband's relatives tomorrow so we are going to ask to borrow their washing machine and shower - which is a bit strange as we only see them about once a year - but we are desperate! bear_tongue

Board footer