Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pipa UK

Good afternoon everyone,  bear_smile  i was wondering what your opinions are on light tents !!!

Now my Camera NEVER takes good photos indoors with artificial light. to get good results i need to photograph outside for a nice clear crisp piccie, ! Now i was wondering if light tents are any good? And are they worth thier money. I don't sell my bears so it's not mega mega important to get the bestest photo on the planet but if i enter the bears into competitions or whatever then i need good photos and i still ike to get a photo of my bears for my bear album,

Soo what is your views on light tents ?? and do you need 4 lamps to shine on it aswell ??

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Pipa.

If you go to the colored menu bar at the top of your screen, click on SEARCH and then input LIGHT TENT.  You will get an entire page full of posts to explore on this subject.

Have fun browsing!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Most importantly is you need LOTS of light!  I LOVE Shelli's light tent stuff... and the photos she takes are absolutely fabulous!  But I haven't made time to do that yet.

I do take most of my pics indoors.  I have 3 indoor lamps I use (right now anyways) and replace the regular bulbs with 200 watt bulbs.  I am VERY careful to not leave these on for any length of time.  And if I need to leave the room, I turn them off to prevent fire.  I hope to soon add 3 more 200 watt bulbs.  These are regular old bulbs from Home Depot.

Then what I do is set my white balance (so the pictures won't look yellow/orange)  Most digital cameras have this.  Every camera is different.  So you'll have to read your manual.

I can't wait to add the tent for the diffused light... but until then... I'm using as many lights as possible.. AND a tripod as Shelli suggesteda while ago.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

bear_smile http://www.geocities.com/ntbearz/studio.html

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

I'll save you the effort - here are two tutorials - the second one is how I made mine and it cost me all of about $8.00-$10.00 to make with parts from Home Depot and I bought four lamps, two desk and two architect from Walmart which were $35.00 total...

Pipa UK

Thanks Shelli will do that  :D

Shelli wrote:

Hi Pipa.

If you go to the colored menu bar at the top of your screen, click on SEARCH and then input LIGHT TENT.  You will get an entire page full of posts to explore on this subject.

Have fun browsing!

Pipa UK

Hi Laura. do you not find the artificial light from lamps makes the photos look yellowy and changes the colours of the bears etc ??

Laura Lynn wrote:

Most importantly is you need LOTS of light!  I LOVE Shelli's light tent stuff... and the photos she takes are absolutely fabulous!  But I haven't made time to do that yet.

I do take most of my pics indoors.  I have 3 indoor lamps I use (right now anyways) and replace the regular bulbs with 200 watt bulbs.  I am VERY careful to not leave these on for any length of time.  And if I need to leave the room, I turn them off to prevent fire.  I hope to soon add 3 more 200 watt bulbs.  These are regular old bulbs from Home Depot.

Then what I do is set my white balance (so the pictures won't look yellow/orange)  Most digital cameras have this.  Every camera is different.  So you'll have to read your manual.

I can't wait to add the tent for the diffused light... but until then... I'm using as many lights as possible.. AND a tripod as Shelli suggesteda while ago.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Pipa, good point.  If you set your WHITE BALANCE for each photo shoot/lighting setup, though, you will avoid this problem.

IF you don't know how to do that... first, read your camera manual for your camera's particular features.  Then, place something stark, pure white -- like a piece of paper -- in the exact spot your bear will "pose."  Aim your camera at that white piece of paper and (usually) click to measure and set your white balance.

What this does is tell your camera what white is, FOR THE PARTICULAR SETUP YOU HAVE ARRANGED.  This eliminates the color casts to which you refer.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Pipa, no, cause I set my white balance like Shelli said.... every camera is different.. check the index of your camera manual to find out how to do it on yours.

Pipa UK

Ooo thanks Kim. will check those out   :D

kbonsall wrote:

bear_smile http://www.geocities.com/ntbearz/studio.html

I'll save you the effort - here are two tutorials - the second one is how I made mine and it cost me all of about $8.00-$10.00 to make with parts from Home Depot and I bought four lamps, two desk and two architect from Walmart which were $35.00 total...

Pipa UK

Mm intersting i will have to flip through my manual (digi camera im using) it was expensive so it's not a cheapie. has loads of options on it. i can even take moving movie clips with it so im sure it has some good settings that are being wasted with me not using them I'll take a look i nthe manual see what i can twiddle with  :D

Shelli wrote:

Pipa, good point.  If you set your WHITE BALANCE for each photo shoot/lighting setup, though, you will avoid this problem.

IF you don't know how to do that... first, read your camera manual for your camera's particular features.  Then, place something stark, pure white -- like a piece of paper -- in the exact spot your bear will "pose."  Aim your camera at that white piece of paper and (usually) click to measure and set your white balance.

What this does is tell your camera what white is, FOR THE PARTICULAR SETUP YOU HAVE ARRANGED.  This eliminates the color casts to which you refer.

Pipa UK

thanks Laura. will do  :D

Laura Lynn wrote:

Hi Pipa, no, cause I set my white balance like Shelli said.... every camera is different.. check the index of your camera manual to find out how to do it on yours.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Are the light tents collapsable??   I live in a small, very small english box, and my bear making equipment already takes over most of the house, so it's not someting I would be able too keep out all of the time.   

My photos do need considerable work and I think this would help.

Pipa UK

I do belive light tents do fold down  bear_original i had a quick peek at some on ebay and it says they fold !

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

The legs come of if you dont glue them in.... I use mine enough and have enough room that it stays where it is but if you have space issues, maybe a premade would be the thing to buy  bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Well, I have no idea what I'm doing . My camera that is only a week old came with some soft ware. I put my bears under a lamp and shot. Then I loaded them into the computer and used the editing features. Wal'la.
I do plan to get a light tent. I printed it off of a site that the link was posted here at teddytalk by someone.

All the best. Matilda :dance: (I luv this little guy doing the jig)

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I've never used a light tent  :redface:. I use a large sheet of coloured card, laid flat on a table and curved up the back of the shot against a wall. I take photos in the conservatory where there's lots of light, and use macro mode on my camera.

I just recently bought a new camera so will be playing with the white balance on that....a new gadget!.... :dance:

Pipa UK

I never used one either Helena , i photograph outside  bear_laugh I'm a bit stuck if it's raining tho hehe  bear_grin

Board footer