Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi, just wondered if I could get some advice. 

My daughter fell in love with a little panda on Ebay, unfortunately it was too much for us to buy, but I have offered (am I mad!!!!) to have a go at making one. 

The thing is that this bear was made from real fur and was the most gorgeous turquoise and white combination.  The only turquoise fur I can find is fox tails (I must say the thought of this creeps me out), but I can't find anything in this colour in synthetics to give the same soft fluffy look.  Has any one used fox tails before or would it be best for me to have a go at dying my white synthetic? If so any advice on dye makes that has turquoise amongst its colours?

Many thanks for any help you can give

Hugs Ali x

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Is the picture still on eBay or has it one now.  If we could take a peek we make be able to help a little better.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I'm not sure if this is going to work Bronwen, but here goes:

Sammy_-_Newbornbears.jpg

Yay did it! Isn't she lovely  bear_wub

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

That is a darling little fellow. I can see why your daughter loves him. My son would too. He loves colored bears.
Have you tried prefurs:
http://www.prefurs.com/10Browse.asp

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

he'd look nice made out of alpaca as well =- which you cud dye.

Marion

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

oh how cute is that bear!!! I agree with Marion. Alpaca would simulate this bear nicely.

K Pawz Guest

Awww...what a cute bear!
Beary Cheap also has synthetic dye

Hugs,
Krista

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Yep, I completely agree...'alpaca' was the first thing that sprung to mind when I saw the pic.  You can dye the fabric to match.  AND don't bother with fox tails.  There's nothing there hide wise to actually make the bear from.  And trust me, you do not want to be sewing those itty bitty pieces together to make a 'hide' big enough to create the pieces from. 

Stick with the alpaca mohairs.  Our own Intercal does some lovely alpacas in 1'' lengths  bear_flower   And that way you don't end up feeling squeamish  :hug:

Ripley, Queensland

Gorgeous little bear.  And I would think dyed alpaca.  Thanks for the picture.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Big THANK YOU ladies  :hug:

Tami - thanks for Prefurs website - I hadn't heard of them and they have such a great colour range.  bear_flower

Bronwyn, Marion, Michelle & Debbie - Looks like Alpaca is the fav choice.  Must look into this fabric - not used it before.  Would you use mohair dye to colour it?  I've not coloured fabric before either & first time making my own pattern too -  this is gonna be fun - might need alittle (ok alot) of help on the way thou  bear_grin

Thanks Krista for the dye tip - I looked at their sythetics but didnt think about their dyes!

I've started on a pattern.  My daughter decided she wanted a different coloured muzzle and a white bib chest rather than a panda - does she not realise I'm new to this  :crackup:   I've sliced a section off the muzzle and tip of the gusset and I've sliced some of the tummy off - I think thats how it works? Than add some for seam allowance?

BIG hugs to you ladies  :hug:

Ali x

Ripley, Queensland

That is what i do slicing and dicing and adding seam allowance.

good luck and can't wait to see it.

Board footer