Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on the list makes soap.  I would like to give it a try, but I'm not sure if it's too much work?

hugs,
Sheila

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

there are lots of different soapmaking techniques from the very simple to complicated needing pots, gloves and masks.  what were yo looking at doing?

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I don't make soap, but a friend of mine makes Goat's Milk Soap.....the only soap I will use anymore, even got my Hubby to switch from Irish Spring to the Goat's milk...............From what she says, it takes a long time, I don't know about other kinds of soaps.
pandamac

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I don't make soap but I've dabbled in candlemaking for several years.  THere are chat boards for soapers and chandlers too!  (in fact, that's how I got addicted to boards!)

Here's a couple of soap ones - yes, their names look the same, but they are different boards!

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/

http://www.the-soap-dish.com/forum/

Hugz,
Laura Lynn

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

My daughter and I made soap for a few years, and it was wonderful.  We made it from scratch, with lye, palm oil, olive oil and cocoanut oil.  Then added various essential oils, and sometimes colour.  She took it over herself, and was making some beautiful creations - all kinds of scents and colours, with shapes and patterns inside the bars.  However, with the expense of the supplies, and the small amount you can charge for one bar of soap, she found that it was just not making any money at all - and had to give it up.  It was too bad, because it was a wonderful product, and my skin now gets all dry and scratchy from the commercial soaps.
There are some great books out there on soapmaking - check your local library or book store.  I wouldn't recommend going the "melt and pour" method.  That is just taking a commercially made base and melting it and adding scents etc.  Good luck.

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska
Laura Lynn wrote:

Here's a couple of soap ones - yes, their names look the same, but they are different boards!

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/

http://www.the-soap-dish.com/forum/

Hugz,
Laura Lynn

Thank you Laura.  Those are really good websites!

hugs,
Sheila

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska
Jane Perala wrote:

My daughter and I made soap for a few years, and it was wonderful.  We made it from scratch, with lye, palm oil, olive oil and cocoanut oil.  Then added various essential oils, and sometimes colour.  She took it over herself, and was making some beautiful creations - all kinds of scents and colours, with shapes and patterns inside the bars.  However, with the expense of the supplies, and the small amount you can charge for one bar of soap, she found that it was just not making any money at all - and had to give it up.  It was too bad, because it was a wonderful product, and my skin now gets all dry and scratchy from the commercial soaps.
There are some great books out there on soapmaking - check your local library or book store.  I wouldn't recommend going the "melt and pour" method.  That is just taking a commercially made base and melting it and adding scents etc.  Good luck.

Hi Jane,

I checked out over a dozen books from the library.  There are so many wonderful soap combinations.  Soapmaking looks so fun.  I just have a few concerns about the lye.  Is it difficult to work with?  Is the fumes very toxic or just a little bit toxic?  I have asthma and I don't want to have a flare up.  I really want to give it a try.

hugs,
Sheila

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

There are 'natural' recipes that don't use lye. I don't have a place to make soap with certain ingredients (small children etc etc) so these others are good for me.
I'll see if i can find the sites (it's been ages)

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

We always wore rubber gloves and masks when working with lye and raw soap.  My daughter has allergies, and she found that the chemicals and the scented oils (essential and synthetic) ended up making her allergies much worse.  It has been about 5 years now since she stopped making the soap, and the allergies are still bad.  So this is something to be aware of.  In retrospect we both think that the "soap room" should have been properly ventillated - not just a window open, but a proper industrial type fan and a fresh air intake as well.  Hope I'm not putting a damper on your enthusiasm - it really was a lot of fun, and very satisfying to make our own soap.

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi Jane,

I was wondering about the ventilation.  I would probably have to make soap in the garage.  I guess I have a big decision to make.  I would really like to try to make my own soap.  I know that I could buy homemade soap from someone else, but it's always so much funnier to make things yourself. 

hugs,
Sheila

Board footer